103 Ci : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 96" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2007, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

03 Roadking wants to know Dino or Syn?
103 Ci

I'm thinking of taking my 96 up to 103. I looked and haven't had any luck so far finding the bore of the "Big Bore" kit. Since the outside of the cylinders are the same I'm thinking, why not have a machine shop bore them out and buy a set of pistons. Its gotta be cheaper than buying the SE BB Kit with the same out come.

USAF Retired
03 Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

stix68 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you are going to do that, why not go to 107. Worth a thought.
On the other hand, had a mate bore his stock cylinders to 103 not long ago, no problems either.
good luck. 103ci= 3 7/8" 107 = 3 15/16"
Stix.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 Roadking
I'm thinking of taking my 96 up to 103. I looked and haven't had any luck so far finding the bore of the "Big Bore" kit. Since the outside of the cylinders are the same I'm thinking, why not have a machine shop bore them out and buy a set of pistons. Its gotta be cheaper than buying the SE BB Kit with the same out come.
It is definitely cheaper to go that way and better off as you have control of the piston type and what size the cyl is bored to. Contact one of the site sponsors here if no one local is qualified to do so for you. Are you just thinking of going to 103 or are you thinking about heads and cams as well?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

03 Roadking wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCHOP
It is definitely cheaper to go that way and better off as you have control of the piston type and what size the cyl is bored to. Contact one of the site sponsors here if no one local is qualified to do so for you. Are you just thinking of going to 103 or are you thinking about heads and cams as well?
Yea I'm going to do the heads and cams. I'm not looking to go too radical, don't want to loose dependability.

USAF Retired
03 Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2007, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would go 107. I am very happy with mine but if I did it over would bore the stock barrels to that size and use the CP pistons from GMR
nw_guy4_fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would go with one of our sponsors and get the whole package from him. Talk to him, I would suggest a chain driven cam set, the new 525 looks interesting or else a 37. Pick out a full flowing a/f and some efficient pipes(2in1s are best).Get a good port and replace the valve guides, you might want to go with larger intake valves. Buy your pistons from him, buy cast(kBs are nice), forged if you are going radical. Have you cylinders bored to the pistons, and buy all the gaskets and other goodies at the same time. This is the way to get your best deal, unless you are dealing with a HD dealer. If you can do the work fine, if not, get a good indy to do it for you. Don't go to too high of a c/r and if over 10:1, get comp releases installed in the heads at the same time as the port job.
It's not rocket science, but the details are what determines a good build.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

mtnmotorrider wants to know where he is and how he got here
I keep looking at KB's web site and can't find any listing for pistons for the 103. Am I missing something? Anyway, most go the bore out route and that's all HD does is bore out stock 88 cylinders. You don't need new ones. As far as 107, the cost increases significantly. The pistons alone are more than the whole 103 conversion. If you can aford it, it is a stronger build. Need to be careful about chamber volume and cam choice too, as CR goes up with cubes.

'07 Road Glide, 103 ci, Big Boyz "Bigger Valve" Street Port 85 cc heads, .030 quench for 10.2:1 cr, SE flat tops, Wood TW 6-6's, K&N air filter, Cobra/Fat Cat bastardized two-into-one exhaust, TMAT ECM with Auto-Tune.
mtnmotorrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

roaddawg65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Think about this, no matter how big you bore your jugs they all start with the same wall thickness. I was talking to a salesman in FL from Maine last fall and he said that they have had nothing but trouble with the SE 110 back cylinders. Could this be because the metal is too thin? Any time you can have the jugs bored to match the pistons and rings you are ahead of the game, and if it is cheaper all the better.
roaddawg65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

troop wants to know Dino or Syn?
Contact Andrew at andrewbankes@hughes.net He has some new SE 103" flat tops/cylinders/gaskets that he'll deal on...
troop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.