99 TC camshaft positioner problem : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

gregchurch wants to know Dino or Syn?
99 TC camshaft positioner problem

I am the second owner of my 99 ultra classic and the first owner revealed to me that the problem I am having is one he dealt with several times in the past. After warmup, the bike's ECM will not pick up the camshaft positioning sensor and not allow the fuel pump to function causing the bike not to start. He had replaced the sensor 3 times and it started back again after 3 months of no problems. I can put the bike in gear and rotate the camshaft and it will start after turning the ignition switch off and on several times. No mods on the engine, 56k miles. New fuel pump and filter. Can anyone help me resolve this issue? Thanks for a reply...

Last edited by gregchurch; 09-20-2006 at 12:48 AM.
gregchurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2006, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

jim t wants to know Dino or Syn?
First let me say I am no expert on these ignitions. I have, however, just gone through similar problems with my 99 fxdx. Mine was with the crank sensor, The Hd. manual speaks of the crank sensor and the cam sensor going out of phase particularily after a back fire. You don't say if your engine is stock or modified or how many miles are on it. If you have worn tentioners or cam chains, I could see how that could contribute to that condition. Also, just because the former owner had problems with the cam sensor doesn't mean that is the problem. Altho it sounds very much like it could be. The bank angle sensor is reset by recycling the ignition for example. It's my understanding that the cam sensor was problematic. In, I believe, 2001 Hd. changed their computer platform and also eliminated the cam sensor. Though costly, the Daytona twin tec ignition and probably others eliminated the need for the cam sensor. I guess that could be one solution to the reoccuring problems with the cam sensor. Hope this helps. Jim
jim t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am going to post some parameters to this problem: 1. It always starts up first time. 2. problem happens after it has been running. 3. The cam sensor was just replaced. 4. the check engine light blinks fast around 18 times for 4 sequences. 5. The fuel pump usually tries to activate, but only for a split second and finally, 6. After about 10 mintes of recycling the ingnition it allows the fuel pump to operated and starts. I removed the cam sensor and wiped it off, it still looks new. The part that puzzles me is the operation of the fuel pump. How could the cam sensor affect the fuel pump? Wouldn't it make sense that if the ECM doesn't recognize the cam sensor then it wouldn't let the fuel pump energize at all.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knower of Stuff

LittleBear wants to know Dino or Syn?
My only advice is to get a service manual and retrieve the trouble codes. If the sensor is bad it will tell you, but it sounds like the fuel pump relay to me, but that is just a guess. There is a trouble code for the Sensors and the fuel pump relay.
You do not need any special tool to retreive the codes, only a jumper wire and the info on how to read them. BTFM. P/N 99483-99A

Ride Hard but Ride Safe.
There are more than 43 ways to make a Doof Loop.

Last edited by LittleBear; 09-22-2006 at 11:50 AM.
LittleBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Still in one piece

fresnohog wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just had this problem with the crankshaft sensor. Here's how I tested to be sure. When the bike is cold unplug the crankshaft sensor and attach an ohm meter. You should get a reading of 00. Plug the sensor back in and run the bike and wait till it quits, usually no more than a few minutes for me. Read the ohm meter again. Mine read 20. Watch the meter as the bike cools and as soon as the meter reads 00 again my bike would start but run for only a few minutes and again quit.
I did that test three times to be sure. I replaced the crankshaft sensor and haven't had a problem since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregchurch
I am the second owner of my 99 ultra classic and the first owner revealed to me that the problem I am having is one he dealt with several times in the past. After warmup, the bike's ECM will not pick up the camshaft positioning sensor and not allow the fuel pump to function causing the bike not to start. He had replaced the sensor 3 times and it started back again after 3 months of no problems. I can put the bike in gear and rotate the camshaft and it will start after turning the ignition switch off and on several times. No mods on the engine, 56k miles. New fuel pump and filter. Can anyone help me resolve this issue? Thanks for a reply...
fresnohog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys, Fresnohog is your bike a peace officer's edition 99 model? Mine is. Even though I am from Arkansas, my parents met in Fresno back in the day...
Old 09-22-2006, 02:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Ray galetti wants to know Dino or Syn?
No Start

Ok, if the fuel pump only actuates for a second and then falls out, it has nothing to do with a crank or cam sensor. The only time those two sensors come in to play is when the engine is spinning over. If I understand you correctly, when you turn the key on, without pushing the start button, the pump does not fully pump up like it is suppose to? The fuel pump is only going to pump the fuel for a few seconds anyhow until the engine is spun over. I need to check my wiring schematic so I can tell you what may be the problem here.
Ray galetti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes, that is exactly the situation. Other than maybe corrosion on some fuse or connector somewhere...I am bumfuzzled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.