transmission main shaft seal : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

Mr.Clean wants to know Dino or Syn?
transmission main shaft seal

2002FXDWG

When changing the transmission main shaft seal, do I need to remove the inner bearing race using a puller or can I change the seal just by removing the drive pulley.

I’m asking because I’m ordering tools and if I have to pull the race I’ll need a puller.

Thanks

Last edited by Mr.Clean; 08-04-2006 at 08:15 AM.
Mr.Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2006, 07:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

Geesh was my question so stupid it didn't deserve an answer?

Humor me please.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ViennaHog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don't know from the top of my head, wil check with the service manual tonight an post ist
ViennaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

I have the service manual. I just says to remove the pulley...kinda vague. I'm leaning toward the idea that the race stays put. Not that it's the end of the world or anything, I just wanted to order only the tools needed and order them once.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Ordered a tool from Georges Garage. Lots cheaper than Jims even with Zanotti discount (Custom Chrome book).

$85.00 after shipping.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Meks wants to know Dino or Syn?
yes you have to remove the inner race because that fifth gear mainshaft seal is behind the inner race

while your there replace the quad seal behind the silver spacer that goes into the larger transmission seal

I usually replace all the seals back there while I'm there, the 5th gear mainshaft, pawl shaft, inner primary, large transmission seal, and quad seal

it'd be a great time to change the belt too if needed, or sprocket...
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Thanks Meks.

Just as I feared. I really need 3 tools;

Special socket for 1-7/8" nut
Tool to hold sprocket while using special socket for 1-7/8" nut
Inner race puller

Oh boy.

Thanks again for your response.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

smut wants to know where he is and how he got here
Like the man said, while you are in there replace all the seals. When you install a new inner seal race on the tranny shaft, make sure you measure the offset and replace it so the inner primary seal fits it correct. Lube the race when installing inner primary and be careful not to bugger up the new seal, slide the inner primary on the shaft into place, then pull it outward a 1/4 inch or so then push it back in place, this will let the seal seat as it should. You don't want to have to do it again because the seal didn't seat. Replace the drive belt, pulleys front and back if needed while you are in there. You can check and replace swing arm bushing while you are at it. Hope this helps...
smut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

Thanks SMUT.

Turned out on this bike to be the shifter pawl seal. I looked at mine, a 2006 Ultra with 10k and it's leaking too. Seems like maybe the pawl shaft to bushing clearance is a little large.

I wonder how many HD's are leaking there? It was easy to see on mine from the top using a flashlight. The 02FXDWG had so much grease build up I had to clean it first then ride it to find the leak. It was leaking very badly.

Thanks for all the responses, I'm ready for a mainshaft seal replacement when the time comes.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

smut wants to know where he is and how he got here
You will need a race bearing removal tool to take the race off the tranny main shaft. You can heat the new one and slip it into place if you don't have the tool to press it in place, remember to measure the inner primary seal clearance, make sure it lines up on the race...good luck
Old 05-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
FNG :)

harleydudesam wants to know Dino or Syn?
Where is georges garage?
harleydudesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

jim t wants to know Dino or Syn?
Southern California North of La. He's a site sponsor and a great guy to deal with. Mail order, check the sponsor section for contact info.
jim t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

JOKERS IMPALA wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you dont want to deal with that race anymore you can get rid of it completely and put the Baker Bearing in place of the bearing in the inner primary that rides on that race. When I did the main seal I got the baker bearing and I cut the old race off with a dremel. Never have to worry about it again or that race walking
JOKERS IMPALA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

CuMoFo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKERS IMPALA View Post
If you dont want to deal with that race anymore you can get rid of it completely and put the Baker Bearing in place of the bearing in the inner primary that rides on that race. When I did the main seal I got the baker bearing and I cut the old race off with a dremel. Never have to worry about it again or that race walking
good tip.

save your money! While the top is off the tranny, remove the shifter barrel so you can lock the tranny up with itself. The grief away!

Gabriel
CuMoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Thread Ender

Pikeslayer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smut View Post
Like the man said, while you are in there replace all the seals. When you install a new inner seal race on the tranny shaft, make sure you measure the offset and replace it so the inner primary seal fits it correct. Lube the race when installing inner primary and be careful not to bugger up the new seal, slide the inner primary on the shaft into place, then pull it outward a 1/4 inch or so then push it back in place, this will let the seal seat as it should. You don't want to have to do it again because the seal didn't seat. Replace the drive belt, pulleys front and back if needed while you are in there. You can check and replace swing arm bushing while you are at it. Hope this helps...
This is probably why my inner primary seal is now leaking. I didn't know the "back and forth seal seating trick". Thanks Smut!
Hobanized Crank, Axtell 117" cylinders, CP flat tops, 10.6:1 CR, Woods TW8, R&R cast heads, R&R roller rockers, HPI 51mm T/B, 4.9 g/s SE injectors, D&D Fat Cat 2into1 QB, Rivera Pro Clutch, Evo Industries 49T, Tuned by Big Boyz
Pikeslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement