Starter switch bad? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2006, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
RKJ
IronButt

RKJ wants to know Dino or Syn?
Starter switch bad?

I took my bike (03 RK) to the power wash today, (I know bad move) anyway it was a bad move, as now my starter wants to try and start all the time. I pulled the switch housing off but (here I'm going to show my mechanical ineptitude) couldn't figure out how to get it apart. I've got a Clymer manual and I'll try again tomorrow. Do y'all think it is the switch though? It sure seems like that is what it is, I got home and called the dealers service rep and as I was talking to him I turned the ignition switch on and she immediately tried to start. How easy is the switch to replace? I read some old threads and I am pretty sure that is the problem but donít want to get in over my head. I already feel like a moron, so if someone just wants to tell me to read the book or do search, etc, please donít. I feel this is a legitimate question and have read the book and done a search. I appreciate any and all help and thank you in advance.
RKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2006, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pimp Daddy

sr1032 wants to know Dino or Syn?
One thing I would check is to turn off the kill switch and see if it still does it to rule out a solenoid. If it still is turning over than your solenoid is hosed but if it stops turning over than chances are your switch is bad. Good luck RMC...

1981 FXB Sturgis, 2004 Dyna Wide Glide, 2007 Night Train
sr1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
I would just let it sit over night and hopefullyt dry out. Start switch is not hard to replace. Just becareful not to pinch wires. But I would examine everything first. Could be solenoid, starter relay. Lets us know this is kind of differant. I am guessing enough water to short to terminals together.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

GrayRider is reading this now saying WTF is this?
You've forced water into somewhere it doesn't belong and shorted something out. I wouldn't take anything apart, but as Beserker suggested let it dry out. You might use a lawn leaf blower on it to aid the process. And in the future,..don't do that!
GrayRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
RKJ
IronButt

Thanks guys, I tried the compressed air in a can but that didn't work (not enough pressure, or couldn't get into it enough). sr1032, with the kill switch off it doesn't do it, but (not all the time now) if the switch is on and I turn the ignition on it wants to start on its own. From what I've read here and after talking with the dealer yesterday, I think (thats' kinda like assume isn't it?) that it is the starter switch. The dealer has me an appointment @ 4:00 on Wed the 3rd and he figures they will be done by COB (6:30) so he also must think it is something simple (or maybe It's me thats' simple) Anyway, thanks again y'all. Gray, I believe I've learned my lesson. I'll hand wash it from now on. Berserker, I'll be sure to post what happens and the fix. I've gotten a lot of helpful info here and I try to help out as I can. Thanks Again
Old 04-28-2006, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Maico wants to know Dino or Syn?
Since you have the weekend to wait, maybe you could use a heat gun or a hair blow dryer on the switch or other electrical connectors. Also WD40 is good to use after a wash or to help displace unwanted water or moisture.
Maybe it'll save you a trip or an expense at the dealer.
Maico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE

Lady Godiva wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with the guys who've suggested letting the thing dry out - it may take a little time if the water got way in somewhere that air doesn't get to. The hair dryer or compressor ideas are good. Worth a try before taking it in and spending money! Although I'm SURE the dealership wouldn't steer you wrong and try to get you to spend your money if you didn't need to!

Hope you get her fixed!
(and I have 43 points on the top of my head)

VTF Photo Album Link: http://www.v-twinforum.com/gallery/s...page=12&sort=3
Lady Godiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Humpin One Leg at a Time

alaskan302 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bet money it is the start switch , and drying it out doesn't fix the prob.
15 bucks get you a new one. 30 minutes to install. Go get the HD manual, but it is pretty easy to fix. Pull apart the switch housing, cut the wires to the run/ start switch ( make sure the cut is staggered) solder lines and shrink wrap. stuff it back in the housing. Enjoy.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

whitecloud wants to know Dino or Syn?
I did the same thing

I did the same thing with my sporty a couple years ago. Like the others above said, let it dry out. If you're going to be around this weekend, put it in the driveway and let mother nature do her thing. By tomorrow night, you'll know whether or not it worked.

Mine was the switch and when I brought it back to the dealer to check it out(they were the ones who washed it), it had to sit overnight. It was no surprise, but when they looked at it the next day, no problems.

The bike needs a little sunshine.....unfortunately, you won't be warming the seat....
Good luck
Tim
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

hdmarsh77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
It sounds like she really wants to go for a ride. Oblige her and go and let the wind help air it out.

"I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane." WJ

hdmarsh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Wowee1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Could be th starter relay sticking also....

2004 Sportster XL883 (soon to be a 1200)

Pigeons should never be allowd to eat chili.

My bike... This one too!
Wowee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
RKJ
IronButt

I tried it this morning and the same thing, I tried the leaf blower but didn't think about WD40. Now, because I'm a dunderhead, the battery is dead. There was some commotion in the neighborhood as I was out in the driveway and I left the bike with the ignition on, for quite awhile, my charger crapped out on me a while ago and I don't want to jump it and let it run if the starter is trying to engage. Oh, plus it is raining here now and is supposed to rain all weekend. (It just gets better and better doesn't it?) I have some pretty hot worklights that I will put close to it (not too close) the heat from those ought to help, (or drive my electric bill sky high) I am going to pick up a new charger tommorow am and plug it in and try it again on Sunday. Thanks everyone for all the help, I'll keep y'all posted. I'll try the WD40 tonight also.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
FNG :)

05ultraclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
starter switch bad

Mine is doing the same thing but I think after reading all this is because it sat/sits in the rain (it is my only means of transpo) a starter switch at the local harley store here is 61 bucks plus 71 bucks for them to do it. Is it totally difficult to do myself.
05ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
This is an old thread. But I was mine at the car wash. It was outside for 3 weeks when I went AK, and couple more when I got home cause I need garage space.

Maybe the starter relay is stuck. Never heard of it. But I don't think some water in the controls, is making a bike try to start itself.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If it's not fixed by now... it never will be..

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement