V-Twin Forum banner

Primary Noise?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  TLeath 
#1 ·
First off - I'm no mechanic. I do have the shop manual but what that makes me is a literate non-mechanic. Anyway, here's the deal. On my '06 Ultra if I let it sit for about 3~4 days and then start it up I get a loud chain(?) noise coming from the primary side. Not a chain slapping noise but more of a loud metallic whir. If I stand it up and (this should be a clue) pull in the clutch the noise all but goes away. If I let the clutch out then the noise comes back. If I ride it a bit and let it warm up then the noise is all but gone.

I pulled the derby cover just to make sure there was actually lube in there as it was just at the dealer a month ago for its 1k service. Yup, looks to be plenty of lube and since I didn't have a new gasket I just reused the old one. I figured it would be going to the shop anyway and I'd have them put on a new one.

I'd like a few guesses as to what I should be possibly mentioning to the dealer. For the noise to actually occur again I'd have to leave it there for almost a week but if this noise is something that you guys can clue me in on then maybe the dealer will follow that lead and be able to fix it without actually hearing it. Any suggestion?

Tom

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Primary chain too loose. As the machine warms up, the chain tightens. If you want to check it yourself, and the Service Manual doesn't make it clear, send me a PM.

That's my guess.

The only other "obvious possibility" would be a compensator nut, but I have my doubts about that based upon your description.

Harris

#3 ·
Shouldn't be the chain as I had the dealer install the auto chain tensioner. Unless it is malfunctioning it should be okay. But would that stop making noise when pulling on the clutch? Unless it is something actually in the clutch them I'm baffled.

Thanks for the reply though.

Tom

#6 ·
Harris said:
Wait. Here's a thought. Isn't the automatic tensioner hydraulic? Does it maybe have to build pressure before it maintains the tension correctly? Someone on here should know.

Harris
Nope, the H-D model is a ratcheting type...no hydraulics.

#7 ·
it does sound clutch or tranny related the way you worded it. The primary chain is rolling all the time but the noise comes and goes as you disengage the clutch. As it warms up something expands and reduces clearance somewhere. :huh: Now if that ain't the most technical response you ever heard!
Check the fluid level in your transmisson and readjust your clutch to 1/2 turnout on the screw. If you need some help I'll be glad to explain how. Its easy and worth a try.
BTW-i reuse my derby cover gasket with no problems.
--cliff

#8 ·
I'm thinking clutch but since I'm no mechanic I wanted to bounce it off you guys. I'm planning on putting it in the shop tomorrow anyway for them to check out this service bulletin related to the '06 injectors. While its there I'm going to have them look at it. I'm hoping they can diagnose it from what I tell them because otherwise I'll have to let it set there for several days so they can hear it themselves.

Oh yeah, just for grins and giggles I'm going to have them "fix" the extremely over optimistic fuel gauge. I don't really figure that they are going to be able to get it right but what the heck, its under warranty.

Thanks again guys for the feedback.

Tom

#9 ·
TLeath said:
I'm thinking clutch but since I'm no mechanic I wanted to bounce it off you guys. I'm planning on putting it in the shop tomorrow anyway for them to check out this service bulletin related to the '06 injectors. While its there I'm going to have them look at it. I'm hoping they can diagnose it from what I tell them because otherwise I'll have to let it set there for several days so they can hear it themselves.

Oh yeah, just for grins and giggles I'm going to have them "fix" the extremely over optimistic fuel gauge. I don't really figure that they are going to be able to get it right but what the heck, its under warranty.

Thanks again guys for the feedback.

Tom
Just an idea. You might try synthetic oil in the primary and see if that helps. It will take one full quart. But it really sounds like something isn't adjusted correctly.

With the fuel gauge. They will never get it right even if they put in the LED unit (For an extra charge to you). Go by the trip odometer. Forget the gauge.

#10 ·
wkohn said:
Just an idea. You might try synthetic oil in the primary and see if that helps. It will take one full quart. But it really sounds like something isn't adjusted correctly.

With the fuel gauge. They will never get it right even if they put in the LED unit (For an extra charge to you). Go by the trip odometer. Forget the gauge.
I already run synthetic in all three holes (not Syn3 either). I know they'll never get the gauge right. I just want to mess with them and hear what excuse they will come up with. Surprisingly, my '04 Softail's gauge works great but even then I just go by the tripmeter.

Tom

#11 ·
I've got the self adjusting tensioner in my '03 road king. I get the "whirring" noise constantly since installing it a couple months ago, and the good folks on this forum told me that it's the nature of the tensioner to produce that noise. But if what you're hearing goes away when you pull the clutch, it could be the transmission? Not too likely, but other than that, it shouldn't make much difference to your primary chain if the clutch is pulled or not.

#12 ·
Well, the bike will be ready to pick up tomorrow. They've replaced the injectors and remapped the ECM. At last phone call they have not worked on (or fixed) the fuel gauge. I didn't really hold out much hope for that happening but I thought, "Hell, its under warranty, give it a shot". They did find the noise and nobody guessed right - including me.

It was the starter. It wasn't pulling back until something helped it release - heat, pulling in the clutch, something that would bother it enough to cause it to retract. Interesting, I never even considered that since the starter wasn't actually running - it was just spinning the shaft because it hadn't pulled back. Horrible noise, by the way, if you ever hear it.

So, the bike will be picked up tomorrow and now with the new injectors/remap I'll schedule a dyno tune in a couple of weeks over in Mississippi.

Even though nobody hit this one on the head I really did appreciate all your help. But since there was no winner I guess I'll just keep the new Ferrari instead of awarding it. :D

Thanks again,
Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.