Crank Position Sensor : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2005, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
WFO
IronButt

WFO wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Crank Position Sensor

I have a 2003 FFI Electra Glide standard and it will not start. It cranks and cranks but no fire. I read the code on my bike with the Twin Scan tool on my computer. It told me that it was the crank position sensor. I also pulled the plugs and they were dry (no fuel). I also pulled the quick connect at the gas tank and it had plenty of pressure in the gas line. I would like to know how common it would be that the crank position would go bad? I tried to ohm the crank position out per service manual and I have a hard time understanding what they want me to check and how they want me to do it. The manual also states that it will set the crank position sensor if you crank the bike over for more that 5 seconds. My plans are to just buy another sensor and if it does not fix it then Iíll have a spare. Can any one please me your opinion?
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2005, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO
I have a 2003 FFI Electra Glide standard and it will not start. It cranks and cranks but no fire. I read the code on my bike with the Twin Scan tool on my computer. It told me that it was the crank position sensor. I also pulled the plugs and they were dry (no fuel). I also pulled the quick connect at the gas tank and it had plenty of pressure in the gas line. I would like to know how common it would be that the crank position would go bad? I tried to ohm the crank position out per service manual and I have a hard time understanding what they want me to check and how they want me to do it. The manual also states that it will set the crank position sensor if you crank the bike over for more that 5 seconds. My plans are to just buy another sensor and if it does not fix it then I’ll have a spare. Can any one please me your opinion?
The sensor is magnetic and it will acumulate metal mixed with oil forming a gunk that will disturb the signal....remove the sensor, clean it off and reinstall it. Try starting the bike again.....good luck

Last edited by HDMD88; 11-05-2005 at 08:19 PM.
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Fourcats wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sounds like your plan is good, thats where a shop would start.

....I hate dial up.

Last edited by Fourcats; 11-05-2005 at 08:29 PM.
Fourcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
WFO
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmd88
The sensor is magnetic and it will acumulate metal mixed with oil forming a gunk that will disturb the signal....remove the sensor, clean it off and reinstall it. Try starting the bike again.....good luck
I took the sensor out and it was clean.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

gsparesa wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO
I have a 2003 FFI Electra Glide standard and it will not start. It cranks and cranks but no fire. I read the code on my bike with the Twin Scan tool on my computer. It told me that it was the crank position sensor. I also pulled the plugs and they were dry (no fuel). I also pulled the quick connect at the gas tank and it had plenty of pressure in the gas line. I would like to know how common it would be that the crank position would go bad? I tried to ohm the crank position out per service manual and I have a hard time understanding what they want me to check and how they want me to do it. The manual also states that it will set the crank position sensor if you crank the bike over for more that 5 seconds. My plans are to just buy another sensor and if it does not fix it then I’ll have a spare. Can any one please me your opinion?
I'm assuming that you got a DTC P0373 or DTC P0374. I can understand your confusion in analyzing the trouble shooting flow chart for those DTC's. I looked at my 2004 EDM and bullet steps 1 & 2 check to see if the CKP sensor is shorted to ground. A short for that test is any resistance less than 1 megohm. This tells me that you should have good isolation between the leads of the CXP sensor and ground. If the resistance test passed then I would go straight to bullet step 3. Bullet step three checks the voltage output of the CXP sensor. It states if you connect a Digital Volt Meter (set to read AC volts) to terminals 1 and 2 of connector 79 and crank the motor that you should read 1 VAC minimum. If you don't get the required output AC voltage to replace the CKP sensor.

Last edited by gsparesa; 11-05-2005 at 09:29 PM.
gsparesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Samuel1941 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool

03 Fxsti
My crank sensor went out just shy of 5000 miles.
Went for a ride...all fine and came home and parked in the garage.
Two days later tried to start it for a ride and it wouldn't start!
Turns over fine, just won't fire.
Tried to start it for two days on several occassions...no start.

Couple of days later loaded it onto my truck to go to the dealer.
Just for fun, tried to start it on the truck...and, it started fine!!!

Crank sensor is intermittant like that, so I kind'a figure that was it.
Took to dealer and, yup, bad crank sensor!!
Replaced and no problems since!!
Modified handlebars, inverted mirrors, HeadWinds 7" headlamp, HD tach, Techlusion DFO, HB 125 primary chain tensioner, MRC clutch assist, Mustang touring seat, oversized rider + passenger pegs, Arlen Ness 3" front extensions, D & D 2>1 FatCat exhaust, custom made nylon saddle bags, Gremlin Bell hanging underneath
Samuel1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
WFO
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel1941
03 Fxsti
My crank sensor went out just shy of 5000 miles.
Went for a ride...all fine and came home and parked in the garage.
Two days later tried to start it for a ride and it wouldn't start!
Turns over fine, just won't fire.
Tried to start it for two days on several occassions...no start.

Couple of days later loaded it onto my truck to go to the dealer.
Just for fun, tried to start it on the truck...and, it started fine!!!

Crank sensor is intermittant like that, so I kind'a figure that was it.
Took to dealer and, yup, bad crank sensor!!
Replaced and no problems since!!

That was the way mine is. I put it a way for a few days went to start it and the bike would not start. It just started fine the other day. It was just like hitting a light switch. One day on, and just like that, it was off.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
WFO
IronButt

My wife stopped to get me a new crank position sensor. The stealer told her that could order me one but they never seem to go bad. She brought the old one home and told me if I wanted to order one I should just give them a call. I though the heck with ordering a new CPS. I thought I would just give the one that I had a try again. I plugged it into the wiring harness and turned the switch on and the fuel pump started to turn on and off, the throttle body started to make all kinds of clicking noises, and the bike sneezed out the throttle body. I tapped on the power commander and everything stopped. I bypassed the power commander turned the switch and every thing was good. I plugged the power commander back in and tapped on the power commander things started to go wack-o again. I called power commander and they told me that I should send it back so that they can test it. I currently have it boxed up and ready to send back. I hope with in the next two weeks I find something out.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

bigjon460 wants to know Dino or Syn?
two issues here... first I have personally seen problems resulting from the crank sensor when using a power commander it seems that the pc requires a cleaner signal than the factory sensor can provide on occasion ran into this on two different bikes changed sensor and all was good ... second issue power comander has admitted that they have a software problem on certian modles that can result in hard starts and poor driveability and were repairing (reprograming ) them at no cost to the customer
bigjon460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Gomer wants to know Dino or Syn?
wfo,
I had a similar problem and mine was low battery power. I would have bet the farm that was not the problem. The motor would crank over fine but would not fire with the PC on it. Only sympton was a slight hesitation when I hit the starter button. Set the same codes. It finally got to the point that the starter was clicking and then I realized my problem. I would load test the battery.
You can also check the crank sensor by putting an ac volt meter across the terminals and crank the engine over for 10 to 20 seconds with the ecm unplugged. You should read around 3.5 (my old one)and 4.0 volts(my new one)
Gomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
WFO
IronButt

Update:

Phil called me from Power Commander. He told me that my PC tested good then he asked me what model of bike that I have. I told him that it was a 03 Electra glide. He told me that the PC that I bought was for a 03 Softail. I told him that the sticker on the box said 02 and up Touring models. He told me that unfortunately that a few PC back then went out the door with the wrong sticker on the box stating the wrong model. He can’t believe that it did not run bad right from the start. I told him that I had it on for 2.5 years, 20,000 miles and had no problems till now. He told me that he was going to send me a new PC in the mail and I should have it shortly. I wonder how many other people get the wrong PC on their bike. That is the way my luck goes. I hope to soon receive my new PC in the mail to try it out.

Last edited by WFO; 11-15-2005 at 05:55 PM.
WFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
WFO
IronButt

I got my new PC back today and my bike runs good. Plus it has much more throttle response.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
0043--Licensed to Doof!

Geezer-Glide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Nice to see a company stand behind their products like that.

I Doof, therefore I am.

D.F.F.D

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. YOU MAY NOW RETURN TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING. THANK YOU.
Geezer-Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
WFO
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide
Nice to see a company stand behind their products like that.

So am I.................
Old 11-30-2005, 12:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
FNG :)

ArkieNuke wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO
Phil called me from Power Commander. He told me that my PC tested good then he asked me what model of bike that I have. I told him that it was a 03 Electra glide. He told me that the PC that I bought was for a 03 Softail. I told him that the sticker on the box said 02 and up Touring models. He told me that unfortunately that a few PC back then went out the door with the wrong sticker on the box stating the wrong model. He can’t believe that it did not run bad right from the start. I told him that I had it on for 2.5 years, 20,000 miles and had no problems till now. He told me that he was going to send me a new PC in the mail and I should have it shortly. I wonder how many other people get the wrong PC on their bike. That is the way my luck goes. I hope to soon receive my new PC in the mail to try it out.
WFO

What model of Power Commander did you have that was mis-labelled. I have a 2003 Road Glide with a PC IIIr that is a PITA to start and I'm looking for anything to help correct the condition. I'm gonna try the crank position sensor cleaning first.

Lomax

Last edited by ArkieNuke; 11-30-2005 at 02:32 PM.
ArkieNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement