EFI Fuel Filter? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2005, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

kslg wants to know Dino or Syn?
EFI Fuel Filter?

My owners manual doesn't mention it, but in the shop manual it says to change the EFI fuel filter at 25k miles. My dealer has never mentioned to change it. ('02 Deuce)

Is it easy to do and how much do they cost?

I know from being in the car biz, if you don't change a fuel filter, you're asking to replace a fuel pump sooner than later...
2008 FLHX, super ram 5000 injection, billet unobtainium frame, raked, stretched, ported, polished, bored +1.076" (requiring sintered unobtainium cylinder liners), .890 lift/360 duration cam, 19.8:1 compression, nitrous, billet wheels, billet virgin rubber tires, custom molded seat & titanium wheelie bar. Total cost of build $1.2M
kslg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2005, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslg
My owners manual doesn't mention it, but in the shop manual it says to change the EFI fuel filter at 25k miles. My dealer has never mentioned to change it. ('02 Deuce)

Is it easy to do and how much do they cost?

I know from being in the car biz, if you don't change a fuel filter, you're asking to replace a fuel pump sooner than later...
Thats true....its not hard to change, all the lines to the pump are flexable so you can get at it very easy. No mater what the cost GET-ER- DONE.
I thought it was at every 50,000 miles ?????
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2005, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Fourcats wants to know Dino or Syn?
For '99s it shows 50K for the filter. I went to 68K with no trouble and let the dealer install the H-D filter {$50 ouch} for $37.50, THAT was a bargin IMO.
Fourcats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2005, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Just looked again in my shop book-- change it at 25k.

Called my local HDD, it's p#61001-01 $47.00

And of course you have to change all gaskets and screws. Total cost $365.78.

68k on the original filter?

You must have been running the Screamin' Eagle Synthetic Fuel.

It might be $12. a gallon, but we recommend it to all of our customers.
2008 FLHX, super ram 5000 injection, billet unobtainium frame, raked, stretched, ported, polished, bored +1.076" (requiring sintered unobtainium cylinder liners), .890 lift/360 duration cam, 19.8:1 compression, nitrous, billet wheels, billet virgin rubber tires, custom molded seat & titanium wheelie bar. Total cost of build $1.2M
Old 08-31-2005, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Just looked again in my shop book-- change it at 25k.

Called my local HDD, it's p#61001-01 $47.00

And of course you have to change all gaskets and screws. Total cost $365.78.

68k on the original filter?

You must have been running the Screamin' Eagle Synthetic Fuel.

It might be $12. a gallon, but we recommend it to all of our customers.
How did it jump from $47.00 to $365.78.....you can buy a new tank with the pump and filter in it for that much.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Delinquent

vafatboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
That must be installed price.

I had to get into my tank and remove the fuel pump. It is an easy job, but have a shop manual. Unhinging the sending unit is a little tricky and the manual has a pretty good explaination of how to do it.

I couldn't get to the filter without removing the pump and disconnecting the fuel feed line to the pump. DON"T DROP THE HOSE CLAMP from the feed line into the tank.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18318&dateline=1244771034
vafatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2005, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

The $365. figure was me poking fun at our local HD shop-- I'll try it myself with the manual at hand.

Yup, depending on what clamp they used, they can be fun to get off. Sproing!
Old 08-31-2005, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
The $365. figure was me poking fun at our local HD shop-- I'll try it myself with the manual at hand.

Yup, depending on what clamp they used, they can be fun to get off. Sproing!
Ohhhhhh I get it....man I got to lighten up a bit..
Old 08-31-2005, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
0043--Licensed to Doof!

Geezer-Glide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmd88
Ohhhhhh I get it....man I got to lighten up a bit..
I was startin' to think you were doing a melt down there Doc, you OK? I am a trained medical professional you know
Breathe deep, exhale....... thats better........ NOW BACK TO WORK!!

I Doof, therefore I am.

D.F.F.D

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. YOU MAY NOW RETURN TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING. THANK YOU.
Geezer-Glide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2005, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

And I thought it was just my ultra dry sense of motorbike humor.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Krayven Sumhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
I wuz told 4 hrs......

I wuz told by Smoky Mtn. H-D that on the new FI bikes, it takes one of their "Techs" (Who knows what he's doing?) 4 hours cuz the filter is located inside the tank. The whole console and float needs to be tenderly removed. Looked at me and said "12 hours at least". I sez "Thanx for the encouragement". He sez 'You're welcome'............
Krayven Sumhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2005, 02:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

When I was looking in the shop book, it gives clear and conscise directions on how to do it.

Taking off the console takes 10 minutes, then you have to remove the metal plate on the top of the tank (Deuce). The fuel pump/filter assembly is under there. I can't imagine it could take 4 hours.

It might take me 4 hours--err-- I mean beers.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Delinquent

vafatboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayven Sumhead
I wuz told by Smoky Mtn. H-D that on the new FI bikes, it takes one of their "Techs" (Who knows what he's doing?) 4 hours cuz the filter is located inside the tank. The whole console and float needs to be tenderly removed. Looked at me and said "12 hours at least". I sez "Thanx for the encouragement". He sez 'You're welcome'............
What the F!!!

The first time I did it, it took about 30 minutes and that was without the manual.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18318&dateline=1244771034
vafatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.