Installed Baisley spring-BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!! - Page 13 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 12:15 AM   #181 (permalink)
The great camel toe escap

1fast2liter wants to know Dino or Syn?
was also thinking with this spring that their mite be an added benifit to running more psi at idle when hot do to the piston cooling jets not opening up till 12psi.. so if at idle you get 18 psi when hot that means the engine would be running cooler at idle...

14" bagger apes
99 flhtc 103"
44mm sc carb kit
sc intake kit
vance and hinse ho pro pipe 2-1
103+ heads p&p by hoban
with matching pistons
s&s 585 gear drives
sc pro stroker flywheel
tc88 adj ignition
estimated at 135hp/135tq
1fast2liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #182 (permalink)
IronButt

Freedom11 wants to know Dino or Syn?
What kind of pressure would I expect with this spring and a Feuling pump on a stock engine?
Freedom11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #183 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley4u View Post
Ya, it is nice hearing from people that the spring hasn't helped...I'm afraid I'd be one of them too cause I took my bike in to a Harley mechanic (non-dealer) for the same kind of clicking noise. I was told by the mechanic that the noise wasn't right so he looked at the lifters and said they were badly worn. Well, to the tune of $500.00+ dollars, he replaced the lifters and added adjustable pushrods...no difference in the clicking! He showed me the lifters when I came to pick up the bike...they didn't seem worn to me and I've built v-8's enough to know what wear looks like. Sooooo, I live and learn...
500.00 for lifters and adjustable push rods plus the install....???
hell me thinks I smell something funny...good set of lifters run over 300.00 maybe 150.00 to 200.00 depending on pushrods, not counting his labor and I been told that the standard charge for changing lifters is about 4 hrs at around 75.00 an hour
so figuring at the least parts 450.00 and labor 300.00
thats not counting a gasket kit...if he did what he said he did you got a pretty good deal
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #184 (permalink)
IronButt

Inspector 12 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitram_b4 View Post
500.00 for lifters and adjustable push rods plus the install....???
hell me thinks I smell something funny...good set of lifters run over 300.00 maybe 150.00 to 200.00 depending on pushrods, not counting his labor and I been told that the standard charge for changing lifters is about 4 hrs at around 75.00 an hour
so figuring at the least parts 450.00 and labor 300.00
thats not counting a gasket kit...if he did what he said he did you got a pretty good deal
It would seem like a good deal UNLESS the mechanic took the standard short cut used when installing adjustable push rods and removed the old ones by cutting them out with a sawzall. If you don't have to pull the rocker covers, it cuts the labor significantly.

06 Street Bob, SE 120R, VH Propipe HO, SERT, 139.92 hp, 133.70 tq.
Inspector 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #185 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
A sawzall? I would be afraid to get chips(or even chip) in the engine. I think bolt cutters would be a better choice.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #186 (permalink)
IronButt

Inspector 12 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66paul View Post
A sawzall? I would be afraid to get chips(or even chip) in the engine. I think bolt cutters would be a better choice.
I have seen bolt cutters and a cord less sawzall used to cut out the stock push rods. When the sawzall was used the guy covered the lifter blocks and exposed areas with rags to catch the filings actually worked fairly fast.

Point being, some shops charge flat rate and then use tricks of the trade to cut corners related to labor. Some shops pass it on and others consider it gravy for the mechanics. No criticism, just passing on a practice that occurs in some shops.

06 Street Bob, SE 120R, VH Propipe HO, SERT, 139.92 hp, 133.70 tq.
Inspector 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #187 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

cmurtha wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question - when you drift the pin OUT to remove the OLD spring, do you use the punch and drive the pin IN (ie towards the engine)? I`m assuming this is what you do and the spring comes out on the BACK side. Thanks...
cmurtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #188 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
Push the roll pin completely out the back side, then remove punch slowly, catch spring, then re install pin from outside of plate and start it into the plate until just shy of flush with inner bore. Install spring, hold it in far enough to allow you to tap the pin with soft hammer in far enough that it is hold spring down. From there all you have to do is tap the pin in a bit further and you are done.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #189 (permalink)
FNG :)

springer john wants to know Dino or Syn?
THE BAISLEY SPRING WILL NOT WORK ON THE FUELING PLATE! WAS NOT TOLD THIS FROM bAISLEY UNTIL i BOUGHT IT! WILL SELL,IT IS THE #4 SPRING!
springer john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #190 (permalink)
IronButt

Bigkahuna327 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Noise from Roller Link Conversion Kit with Wood's Cams

I've been reading up on the baisley spring and just wanted some reassurance that what's i'm experience is in line with what everyone else is seeing.

What I've got is an 02 EFI TC88 Fatboy with 43k miles on the odometer. I recently bought the roller link conversion kit from Wood's Performance along with the updated and improved high volume 07-09 HD oil pump. I threw in a set of Wood's TW-6-6R cam and their Knight Prowler Directional Roller Lifters.

After taking everything out, and replacing/installing all the parts along with the Screamin' Eagle Adjustable Pushrods, the bike runs like a bat outta hell and very pleased with the setup and to get away from the old style chain tensioners.

I followed the instructions to the letter of the law both in the instruction manual and the service manual but i'm experiencing some loud noise that comes and goes in the top end of the bike. It ranges from a tick to a god awful knock and was wondering if changing out the spring to a Baisley spring would help quieten down this engine.

The noise isn't related to one particular type of riding, temperature, or condition, but just comes and goes as it pleases. I've thought it could be the rockers, pushrods, etc, but the bike still runs great expect for the top end noise.

Anyone else experience this with this kit? I know the springs only $12-$15, so I plan to try it, just don't want to get my hopes up if I need to start looking elsewhere.

Thanks for any help!
Bigkahuna327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #191 (permalink)
IronButt

Also which spring should I get??? The 15% or 30% spring for the Woods kit?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #192 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigkahuna327 View Post
I've been reading up on the baisley spring and just wanted some reassurance that what's i'm experience is in line with what everyone else is seeing.

What I've got is an 02 EFI TC88 Fatboy with 43k miles on the odometer. I recently bought the roller link conversion kit from Wood's Performance along with the updated and improved high volume 07-09 HD oil pump. I threw in a set of Wood's TW-6-6R cam and their Knight Prowler Directional Roller Lifters.

After taking everything out, and replacing/installing all the parts along with the Screamin' Eagle Adjustable Pushrods, the bike runs like a bat outta hell and very pleased with the setup and to get away from the old style chain tensioners.

I followed the instructions to the letter of the law both in the instruction manual and the service manual but i'm experiencing some loud noise that comes and goes in the top end of the bike. It ranges from a tick to a god awful knock and was wondering if changing out the spring to a Baisley spring would help quieten down this engine.

The noise isn't related to one particular type of riding, temperature, or condition, but just comes and goes as it pleases. I've thought it could be the rockers, pushrods, etc, but the bike still runs great expect for the top end noise.

Anyone else experience this with this kit? I know the springs only $12-$15, so I plan to try it, just don't want to get my hopes up if I need to start looking elsewhere.

Thanks for any help!
Apparently, you didn’t read any forum comments about Woods cams before you did the install. If you had you’d know that noise complaints are pretty common. Woods uses some pretty aggressive ramps on their cams, which generates the power and performance that you want. The down side to these aggressive ramps is noise.

You say the noise is coming from the top end. I say it’s hard to tell where the noise is coming from while riding, so it very well could be the cams making the noise.

As for your question about the B. spring, I’d say go for it. It can’t hurt…and it might just help a little…but don’t expect it to make those cams quieter if that’s the problem.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #193 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesToGo View Post
Apparently, you didn’t read any forum comments about Woods cams before you did the install. If you had you’d know that noise complaints are pretty common. Woods uses some pretty aggressive ramps on their cams, which generates the power and performance that you want. The down side to these aggressive ramps is noise.

You say the noise is coming from the top end. I say it’s hard to tell where the noise is coming from while riding, so it very well could be the cams making the noise.

As for your question about the B. spring, I’d say go for it. It can’t hurt…and it might just help a little…but don’t expect it to make those cams quieter if that’s the problem.
I did read the forums and complete knew what I was getting into when I went the Woods cam route. It's exactly what I wanted for my bike and understood that going in. What I'm not sure about is if this is actually a "cam noise" issue.

The noise I'm actually hear can range from a loud tick, to an all out sound of like someone hitting in rocker boxes with a ball pin hammer. It just comes and goes as it pleases, but the engine never misses a beat.

The install instructions were followed precisely and just wanted to see if anyone else was experience this type of problem that comes and goes and has no rhyme or reason behind when it shows up.

I guess I start with the spring, check the pushrods and lifters while I'm in there, and hope that it fixes it. If not, guess I'll just turn up the radio until whatever it is decides to make it's presense more known by destroying something. Then it'll be time to do it up right.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #194 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigkahuna327 View Post
I did read the forums and complete knew what I was getting into when I went the Woods cam route. It's exactly what I wanted for my bike and understood that going in. What I'm not sure about is if this is actually a "cam noise" issue.

The noise I'm actually hear can range from a loud tick, to an all out sound of like someone hitting in rocker boxes with a ball pin hammer. It just comes and goes as it pleases, but the engine never misses a beat.

The install instructions were followed precisely and just wanted to see if anyone else was experience this type of problem that comes and goes and has no rhyme or reason behind when it shows up.

I guess I start with the spring, check the pushrods and lifters while I'm in there, and hope that it fixes it. If not, guess I'll just turn up the radio until whatever it is decides to make it's presense more known by destroying something. Then it'll be time to do it up right.
I don't have to tell you that twin cams make a lot of "ticking" noise even in stock form. Sometimes engine builds just seem to intensify the noises. If you're confident the build was done correctly then just ride the snot out of it. Next time you do an oil/filter change, pay attention to the drain plug for metal shavings. You could also cut the oil filter open and see if it looks normal. The Baisley spring will increase you oil pressure, but in my experience it will not make the engine sound different.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #195 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesToGo View Post
I don't have to tell you that twin cams make a lot of "ticking" noise even in stock form. Sometimes engine builds just seem to intensify the noises. If you're confident the build was done correctly then just ride the snot out of it. Next time you do an oil/filter change, pay attention to the drain plug for metal shavings. You could also cut the oil filter open and see if it looks normal. The Baisley spring will increase you oil pressure, but in my experience it will not make the engine sound different.
Yeah I've already done that twice just for peace of mind. No shavings, no bad signs, nothing in the oil.

After talking with the guys while ordering my spring today, they suggested replacing the valve as well while I'm in there. They currently have them at the stone grinders so I should get mine in a few days. Hopefully I'll find some time in the near future to get it in and see if there's any results.

Anyone got anything else they suggest I look for while I'm in there once again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement