Best Cam for killer torque and HP for 95" : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2005, 02:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

blodgee wants to know Dino or Syn?
Best Cam for killer torque and HP for 95"

I know there's a ton of threads on the subject because I've read a good number of them but I am still a little unsure of what would be the best Gear Drive cam selection for a 95" with 10.5 compression.
The heads have been sent to a porter for stage 2.I am not sure exactly whats been done to them.
I was told by my shop that S&S 585G was a good choice because I want
around 100hp and 100 Tq so that was what they installed but after riding it and taking it back for more tuning and riding some more I am not happy with the low end performance.It dynoed at 104 Hp & 110 Tq.
I was thinking about the Andrews 37G because of it's popularity on this site but I have more compression than is recommended for it.
I would still like the 100/100 just in a more low end grunt than I have now.
Since I have already gone to the gear drive set up I would like to keep it so Screaming Eagle grinds wouldn't be an option.
My bike is a fuel injected Road King.Suggestions?
blodgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2005, 03:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hellbound Train

csoday is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Low end torque will be affected by pipes. What kind do you have

'03 FXSTBI 103" Stroker
112 hp -- 121 tq
100% S.E.

My V Twin Gallery
csoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 06:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Infidel

wyodude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodgee
My bike is a fuel injected Road King.Suggestions?
I think Chuck is right, I'd look at the exhaust sytem before any more motor work.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Pipes will make a big difference, as a mater of fact we make our biggest mistakes on a build with the wrong selection of the exhaust system. Saying that, we must take the cam into view too...the S&S products are great products but they are made for the upper end performance, so over caming is a problem for no torque on the lower end also. I didn't see in his post the type of exhaust system he had so to answer his question I would say, since you have the compression needed for a Woods W6HG I suggest you look into it. The cam is a torque monster and it will give you around 90 ft lbs of torque at 2000 rpms. The cylinder pressure will be slightly high for the 37g cam but it will still work well with the 10.5 compression. I suggest comp releases with either cam.
By the way what exhaust system are you running? As Chuck and Wyodude was saying a good exhaust system will help greatly on the lower end, a 2 into 1 will give better performance down low plus broaden your torque bt a good 800 rpms.
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Jshuster wants to know Dino or Syn?
Woods

TW6HG These are the cams I have in my 95" with Bigshot Staggered modified baffles. 109 Ft Lbs torque with a two into one I am sure it would be much greater, the down side is these cams are very noisy.
Jshuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshuster
TW6HG These are the cams I have in my 95" with Bigshot Staggered modified baffles. 109 Ft Lbs torque with a two into one I am sure it would be much greater, the down side is these cams are very noisy.
Use the Baisley spring and S/E lifters and 90% of the noise is gone.....believe it!
Old 05-30-2005, 08:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wrench

powerhaulic wants to know Dino or Syn?
I installed the tw6hg in my 103", great low end performance. Engine has 10.0 CR and SE CNC heads, along with DTT ECU and Geloramy TB. I have V&H dresser duals w/pythons now and pigs on the way.
'75 XLH
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhaulic
I installed the tw6hg in my 103", great low end performance. Engine has 10.0 CR and SE CNC heads, along with DTT ECU and Geloramy TB. I have V&H dresser duals w/pythons now and pigs on the way.
If you up your compression a bit those cams will surprise you again!!! They work the best with 10.5:1.....then they will really come alive.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
FNG :)

blodgee wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by csoday
Low end torque will be affected by pipes. What kind do you have
I have the stock pipes with Thunder Header slip ons.I would consider the TW-6HG cams but don't want them if there too noisy and to change the springs in the heads is more hassle again.I like the idea that they will make 90lbs of TQ at 2000rpms. Currently my bike needs to see 3200 rpm to make 90Tq.Could the exhaust I have be giving me the poor numbers in the lower rpm range? Sure would be the easyest way to improve the low end.
blodgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 01:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

GRock wants to know Dino or Syn?
With the 585 you will have trouble catching that number on the low end, no matter what exhaust. Not for nothing, but the TW5G is a lower lift version of the 6H and will fit into your existing spring pack. And it doesn't have the noise issue as you can get with the 6H. But still put in the Baisley spring as it is cheap insurance for added pressure. The TW5G is a great performer and if you are looking for a little more low end, throw in a +2 or +4 cam advance key and hold on. It smokes the 585 for low end pull. (Damned Doc chimed in with my torque monster classification and the "smokes the 585" line is the best line I can come up with on short notice.)
Old 05-30-2005, 02:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blodgee
I have the stock pipes with Thunder Header slip ons.I would consider the TW-6HG cams but don't want them if there too noisy and to change the springs in the heads is more hassle again.I like the idea that they will make 90lbs of TQ at 2000rpms. Currently my bike needs to see 3200 rpm to make 90Tq.Could the exhaust I have be giving me the poor numbers in the lower rpm range? Sure would be the easyest way to improve the low end.
I love the thunder header but the slip-on version for the dual exhaust just isn't a performer. Try the Samson Rolled ovals...they work better on your system than the Thunder Header.
Grock....you have the best lines of any one I know, sorry to rob them from you but they do make me look good at times....
Old 05-30-2005, 05:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmd88
I love the thunder header but the slip-on version for the dual exhaust just isn't a performer. Try the Samson Rolled ovals...they work better on your system than the Thunder Header.
Grock....you have the best lines of any one I know, sorry to rob them from you but they do make me look good at times....
You don't need me to make you look good, Doc. Your writings and info on all the threads you have posted on lately have been very impressive and informative. I would give anything to have our other friend be able to join us again. In the mean time thanks for all the great info.

PS. I think Elizabeth was coaching you a bit when you were on sabbatical.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

foddlefadel wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRock
With the 585 you will have trouble catching that number on the low end, no matter what exhaust. Not for nothing, but the TW5G is a lower lift version of the 6H and will fit into your existing spring pack. And it doesn't have the noise issue as you can get with the 6H. But still put in the Baisley spring as it is cheap insurance for added pressure. The TW5G is a great performer and if you are looking for a little more low end, throw in a +2 or +4 cam advance key and hold on. It smokes the 585 for low end pull. (Damned Doc chimed in with my torque monster classification and the "smokes the 585" line is the best line I can come up with on short notice.)
GRock and Doc

What about headwork, compression, roller rockers with the TW5G.

Just bought a Road Glide.

Thanks
Dave
foddlefadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 07:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by foddlefadel
GRock and Doc

What about headwork, compression, roller rockers with the TW5G.

Just bought a Road Glide.

Thanks
Dave
I haven't used the 5 cam but if memory serves me it is a .575 lift and it will work well with stock compression.
Any lift over .550 you need roller rockers. Now I think Grock has a lot more experience with the TW5 so lets hear what he has to say.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Yeah, .575 lift and 234 duration. It is a reduced version in all characteristics (all factors exponentially reduced equally) of the TW6H. Wood made this cam to fit into the SE Performance Heads. It does need raised compression with good manners at 10 to 1 and we usually run them at around 10.2 with the +2 cam advance. Easy starting and no comp releases. Headwork is ALWAYS a plus in the twinkie and Blodgee says that he has that covered. No headwork on a cam like that is just a crime in my book. Chokes the life out of it. I just hope he is not going too large on the exhaust ports and valves. As for the roller rockers, Doc likes them above .550 and I don't get too set on them until right around where this cam is. Can you go without? Yeah, but now that you no longer need to go get a bank loan to get a set and the price has come down with a couple of manufacturers, it's a good idea to keep smoother valve train geometry and longevity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement