Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Kit for EFI Models : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2005, 08:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

FreakStyle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Kit for EFI Models

Thinking about buying the stage 1 kit (29489-99C) for my fuel injected 2001 road king classic. Don't know a whole lot about adding this in.

Will I need to have it remapped?
Can I just bolt it on and go?
Is it worth the money?

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance
FreakStyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2005, 08:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

FLHT-Steve wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the stage 1 on my 04 FLHT... its a high flow air filter... but I also got pipes & the Screamin Eagle Race Fueler & the HD ecm re-flash... I'm assuming that if the engine is taking more air in, you would want more air out via freer flowing exhaust. The Race Fueler will eliminate the lean condition that the bike already has stock & will get more lean when you install the air filter & pipes... the real question is are you going to do more performance work in the future? If so, the stage II does not cost much more & comes with the air filter kit...& you can usually find a dealer special discount in the winter months. Also, if you are going to do more work, you might want the scramin eagle race tuner instead of the fueler..
Old 03-23-2005, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Average Dude

YankeeBob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakStyle
Thinking about buying the stage 1 kit (29489-99C) for my fuel injected 2001 road king classic. Don't know a whole lot about adding this in.

Will I need to have it remapped?
Can I just bolt it on and go?
Is it worth the money?

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance
Yes...
No...
Yes...

Get some pipes too.

YB

Deut. 23:12-13
YankeeBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2005, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

21943 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Go for it!... this is the first step in your eventual never ending quest for MORE power!

I started with:
SE Stage I Kit
then:
Vance & Hines ShortShots (dropped a bit on low end torque)
then:
SE 203 cams (bolt on, simple quick)
SE EFI Pro Fueler (plug in, simple quick)
and my torque is back in a big way

I would go ahead and do all this at the same time.. no head work, no major hassle. (Note: SE EFI Fueler not compatible with 2005 bikes, look elsewhere Revtech DFO or Techlusion TFI... too bad because I think HDs is a bit more flexible).

ride safe

EMX
21943 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2005, 11:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hellbound Train

csoday is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Just installing the A/C you won't need a remap and yes you can bolt it on and go. However you won't gain anything because your pipes are still restricting you. You can't take in any more air than you can push out. You need to go to a more free flowing exhaust to gain any performance. Then you will also need a Stage 1 flash to keep from running lean. More air needs more fuel.

'03 FXSTBI 103" Stroker
112 hp -- 121 tq
100% S.E.

My V Twin Gallery
csoday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2005, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Fourcats wants to know Dino or Syn?
My '99 RKClassic has the a/c, V&H slipons and the "flash" from the dealer. The flash {giving a better ignition curve and more RPM} allows it to run real well. More mid-top end punch without hitting the rev limiter all the time. Good performance for cheap...
Fourcats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2005, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

FreakStyle wants to know Dino or Syn?
I added the stage 1 kit with a DFO and I am so happy that I did. The power, response and over all get up and go is incredible and very needed for the road king. Best purchase yet...

FreakStyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2005, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Now put the SE203 cams... easy to do.
You will be amazed at the low end improvement.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

simjue wants to know Dino or Syn?
One more opinion. Add the Stage 1 A/C, but a waste without pipes to take advantage of more air flow. Stage 1 remap is not required. race tuner or DFO is needed. I did the Stage 1 AC, SE slash downs slip ons, ad DFO on 04 FLHTCU I. Runs great.
simjue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2005, 05:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
What did I do now?

Biker Bry wants to know Dino or Syn?
Er... Ya...OK...

If you change pipes only, you DON't need a remap.

If you add the SE Air Cleaner, you NEED the remap.

Opening the air inlet causes you to need more fuel.

It is often recommended to replace both the Air Cleaner and the mufflers (they go hand in hand).
Old 07-18-2005, 10:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
It Aint Rocket Science...

Markr wants to know Dino or Syn?
One small point to add:
(I know yours is an '01 and this doesn't apply)

Harley has apparently made a change to the Stage I flash offered on '05 bikes. According to the latest tech bulletin, the Stage I flash will now compensate for SE pipes, but the air cleaner. HD states in their tech bulletin that if the customer wants A/C and pipes, they must now purchase the SE Race Tuner Kit. The impression I got was that HD is trying to keep the EPA off its back, and is acting accordingly. I also wonder if they've figured out how to void our warranties if they want. At the end of the tech bulletin it says the use of the SE Race Tuner kit will make your bike "Not Street Legal". Hmm. And they know that virtualy every one of us changes A/C and pipes. Hmm.

BTW....anyone know if Harley has made any changes to earlier year Stage I flashes ? o
Markr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2005, 10:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
I Ride, Therefore I AM

ap_burner wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markr
One small point to add:

Harley has apparently made a change to the Stage I flash offered on '05 bikes. o

Any idea when this change took effect? Mine was flashed in late June.
Andrews TW37 Cam
SE Stage 1 Air Intake
V&H LongShot HS Pipes
Street Slammer Handle Bars
Sundowner Seat/Sissy Bar
Crash Bar and Highway Pegs
Passenger Footboards
Everything in Diamond Plate Pattern

"Say What You Mean And Mean What You Say"

Air Force Special Operations Command
HC-130P Rescue Loadmaster
"That Others May Live"
ap_burner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2005, 11:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
This space is blank

DCRANER wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markr
One small point to add:
(I know yours is an '01 and this doesn't apply)

Harley has apparently made a change to the Stage I flash offered on '05 bikes. According to the latest tech bulletin, the Stage I flash will now compensate for SE pipes, but the air cleaner. HD states in their tech bulletin that if the customer wants A/C and pipes, they must now purchase the SE Race Tuner Kit. The impression I got was that HD is trying to keep the EPA off its back, and is acting accordingly. I also wonder if they've figured out how to void our warranties if they want. At the end of the tech bulletin it says the use of the SE Race Tuner kit will make your bike "Not Street Legal". Hmm. And they know that virtualy every one of us changes A/C and pipes. Hmm.

BTW....anyone know if Harley has made any changes to earlier year Stage I flashes ? o
This is interesting. I just ordered for my 05 FXDWGI the 16 Gauge Double Barrel exhaust, the K&N drop-in filter, and an ECM re-flash.

My dealer, who has been very open with me, suggested I don't do the SE A/C as it tends to drip a little oil, and says the EFI bikes will run very well with the K&N drop-in. Suggests by keeping the stock "football" with the K&N I avoid being a little too lean. Says the DFO, etc. would be if I did cam change, etc.

I am not going for every bit of HP, so they suggested the above, said the extra cost of the A/C on an EFI bike was not necessary.
DCRANER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2005, 02:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Ultra-J wants to know Dino or Syn?
Screamin eagle air cleaner.

Don't waste your money on the screamin eagle air cleaner. I have one on my 04 Ultra and it pucks oil out the bottom after every long trip. I have had two dealers tell me that it is normal and there is nothing that can be done about it.
I'm going to be putting the stock air cleaner on it for now and will checking out kurykayn's air filter setup at sturgis this year. I've been told that they are
a better setup for that breather system.
So don't waste your money like I did.

2009 Black & Orange Ultra Classic
2005 Black Dyna Superglide-- Wife's bike
JOHN
Ultra-J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2005, 02:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Funny thing, this has never happened to me (the SE A/C dripping).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.