03 Deuce/EFI Backfiring : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2002, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Grunt wants to know Dino or Syn?
03 Deuce/EFI Backfiring

This is my first Harley. I have a 03 Deuce with EFI. I upgraded the exhaust with the screamin eagle II slip fit mufflers and added the stage 1 air filter kit from screamin eagle as well. I had the dealer do the ECM calibration. The bike backfires when I de-accelerate. It really gives a loud backfire when I am coming off the freeway and downshifting and the RPM's are higher. I have talked with the dealer and they have told me that it is normal. I have ridden sport bikes for the past 20 years and did various upgrades to them. I still own a Honda CBR 929 with a power commander and it runs great. I believe a power commander will solve the problem. I have talken with 2 dealers and both have told me to stay away from the power commander. I believe the MAP that Harley is using is not dialed in correctly for my bike. I believe the bike is running a little rich and that is the reason for the backfiring. I have did a search of the forum and seen that some are having no problems and otheres are. They told me I could drop the bike off and leave it with them for several days and they would see what they could do. But they also told me they there is noithing they could do with the download and that they get it straight from Harley. I even talked with a local shop that works on Harley's and was told that the backfiring is normal. He did however tell me about a Digital Fuel Optimizer that is adjusted with a screwdriver and no PC is needed for adjustments for the EFI. I am new Harley owner and enjoy riding the bike. I appreciate anyone comments and help in this matter. Thanks in advance
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2002, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Idears Available

logical wants to know Dino or Syn?
All you've heard and said so far is true. My '02 EFI Fat Boy is exactly the same way but it runs just fine. In my opinion, people need to quit thinking of this as a "problem". Listen to race cars with fairly open exhaust....they always backfire. I suppose you might find a way to reduce or eliminate it but I have decided to embrace it as part of the character of the twin cam. I think it sounds kind of cool.
V & H Monster Ovals
V & H FP3 FuelPak
logical is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2002, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

tsuter wants to know Dino or Syn?
When you crank the throttle back to 0-20 percent at 4000 RPM or so and go into decceleration, your ignition immediately advances to the max roughly 45 degrees trying to get full burn and your manifold ambient pressure falls very low.
Often the fuel is still to rich so it goes unburned into those hot pipes and backfires.
You can ONLY address this on an EFI bike by modiftying the Eprom in the ECM. The dealer will not likley do or be able to do this but you need to lower the fuel in the specific area - or live with it.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

xl1200c_01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Same thing happens with my '02 FLHRI with SE II's. Dealer says it's the nature of the beast; it's a good shop and I trust 'em. I've learned to like it.

-jeff
xl1200c_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2002, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

blackwhisper wants to know Dino or Syn?
I guess i am just use to it. The harley doesn't back fire all that much. but i have a VW with race pipes and it backfires all the time. I just always chalked it up to intake and exhast mods on air cooled engines.

The only difference between saints and sinners is that every saint has a past while every sinner has a future
- Oscar Wilde

Last edited by blackwhisper; 10-02-2002 at 09:07 AM.
blackwhisper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2002, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Softgenious wants to know Dino or Syn?
Backfiring is NOT normal, if the dealer is telling you that they are full of crap. With all of the problems with EFI bikes, I thank God I bought the Road King Carb ...
Softgenious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2002, 09:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Idears Available

I somehow knew this was gonna become one of those "EFI is crap, glad I was smart and got a carb bike" threads. I appreciate your opinion Softgenious, but you offer no more insight or detail than the dealer when all you say is that it is NOT normal. Are you saying it hurts something. are you saying you know what is wrong. are you saying it means there is some problem at full or half throttle. All I know for sure is that a bike that backfires means you have a bike that backfires. what is it you know?

It can be fixed....all I'm saying is that I am not that worried about fixing mine.
V & H Monster Ovals
V & H FP3 FuelPak

Last edited by logical; 10-02-2002 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Just bad

thomas_l wants to know Dino or Syn?
I guess enough backfiring would loosen things up but no more than "normal" vibrations would. My 01 RC has EFI and V&H slip ons. The only time I get popping is high speed decel (like a freeway offramp) especially if the engine is not fully warm. To avoid that I feather the throttle and use my brakes. If I'm going fast enough to really need a lot of engine braking, that popping out the pipes is the least of my worries. At least it makes the cars around you take notice.

tsuter is right. The only sure fix is a leaner fuel map over the affected range.

Patient: Doc it hurts when I do this.
Doctor: OK. Stop doing that
thomas_l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2002, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Softgenious wants to know Dino or Syn?
Logical:

I never said that EFI bikes are crap! If you like your bike to backfire that's your decision, but it is NOT normal. I know owners of EFI and Carb bikes and none of them are having problems with backfiring...If you are stating that it is the character of the twin cam, you are very mistaken. All backfiring does is scare the crap out of old ladies...
Softgenious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2002, 12:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

tadams6580 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Grunt,
I've got similar mods on my efi bike and it does not backfire at all.
tadams6580 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2002, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Grunt wants to know Dino or Syn?
I appreciate everyone's input. It is interesting after reading on the forum that there are people that have no problems with the exact upgrade. I am going to continue researching this issue and will post my findings here.

I am presently doing some research on the Digital Fuel Optimizer (DFO) that is being sold through Custom Chrome for $ 189.95. It appears to work like this: It taps into the wiring of both fuel injectors downstream of the ECU. It allows you to performance tune across the the engines entire RPM range. The electronics of the DFO system intercept the ECU signal to the injectors and makes adjustments on the fly by increasing the signal and providing more fuel at a given throttle setting. Since the DFO works downstream of the ECU there is no risk of it being damaged.

The above was written straight from the pamphlet I was given from a local shop. There are four adjustments: 1) idle mix, 2) midrange, 3) top end, and 4) Sets RPM point at which the system transitions from mid to high.

If anyone has any experience with this porduct, I like to hear from them
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2002, 01:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

03FLSTCI wants to know Dino or Syn?
Digital Fuel Optimizer (DFO)-->Sounds very similar to the Techlusion product. www.techlusion.com.
03FLSTCI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2002, 03:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Free Idears Available

Quote:
Originally posted by Softgenious
Logical:

I never said that EFI bikes are crap! If you like your bike to backfire that's your decision, but it is NOT normal. I know owners of EFI and Carb bikes and none of them are having problems with backfiring...If you are stating that it is the character of the twin cam, you are very mistaken. All backfiring does is scare the crap out of old ladies...
You maybe didn't call them crap, but you clearly implied they were fundamentally inferior. I never said it was normal, I just said it wasn't a big deal to me. I am not mistaken about the fact that it is very COMMON on EFI stage 1 bikes. And last but not least, I kinda like scaring old ladies.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

HIPPO wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would say it is pretty unusual for a stage 1 SOFTAIL to backfire.

There are any number of possibilities. The upload may have been corrupted, a vacuum leak, a leak on the exhaust system, etc. The Delphi bikes compensate for some vacuum leaks and can sometimes actually run rich because of this, as the difference in manifold pressure can have a bigger effect then the leak in itself.
Those slip ons are restrictive enough that reversion shoulkd not be a problem.

The DFO will not help you. They work very well but can only add fuel. If the bike has a rich spot on the fuel curve you can't take it out with it. It might work well if you return the ECM to the stock flash and then use the DFO.
One could also use the EFI tuner from HD. On small engines you can not beat it's flexibility.
Since the dealer can't make the flash work to your satisfaction, tell them to give you credit for the flash and pay them the difference to the tuner. You can use it to modify any flash in any way, except the stock flash.

Laughing at the devil, Living in the wind
HIPPO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2002, 11:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

yzf996fxdwg wants to know Dino or Syn?
Had backfiring tuned out with Power Comander.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.