Spark plug cross reference. : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2004, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Markcuda wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Spark plug cross reference.

I have Harley spark plugs in my Ultra now= 6R12.
What would that same plug be in a Champion?
I'm going to buy a dozen of them
Markcuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2004, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcuda
I have Harley spark plugs in my Ultra now= 6R12.
What would that same plug be in a Champion?
I'm going to buy a dozen of them
Mark, Champion makes HD plugs. The differance between the two are the amount cermic balls under the metal bezzal where the cermic and metal meet. The air cooled plug has less cermic balls in that area letting the plug expand under the higher temp of the air cooled engine. Regular Champoins will work but it doesn't have the life of the HD plug because it can't expand as needed so it cracks the cermic under the bezzal and the plug starts to miss fire.
Now to answer your question....no I don't know the conversion.... :p ...sorry.
I'll bet you will find that the conversion will be a GM car plug, if that helps.
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2004, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Smile

The reason I'm asking for a cross reference is I sprayed WD40 a few days ago on the plug to loosen it up (because it was stuck, would not budge) but the WD40 did the trick. But I also think the WD40 ruined the plug. I can take the front plug, put it in the rear cylinder and take the rear plug ( which is the bad one and put it in the front) and the front cylinder won't fire.

So, here it is Christmas day, I was going to ride the bike a hundred miles, wouldn't you know it a $2.00 fricken item and I ain't got sense enough to have a dozen laying around. So, Sunday I don't think there is too many Harley dealers open but I can find a parts store open. That is the reason I want to get a Champion because its going to be mid 30's Sunday and I don't want a $2.00 fricken spark plug to keep me from riding my bike.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcuda
The reason I'm asking for a cross reference is I sprayed WD40 a few days ago on the plug to loosen it up (because it was stuck, would not budge) but the WD40 did the trick. But I also think the WD40 ruined the plug. I can take the front plug, put it in the rear cylinder and take the rear plug ( which is the bad one and put it in the front) and the front cylinder won't fire.

So, here it is Christmas day, I was going to ride the bike a hundred miles, wouldn't you know it a $2.00 fricken item and I ain't got sense enough to have a dozen laying around. So, Sunday I don't think there is too many Harley dealers open but I can find a parts store open. That is the reason I want to get a Champion because its going to be mid 30's Sunday and I don't want a $2.00 fricken spark plug to keep me from riding my bike.
You are a trip Mark.....take the plug in with you and match up the nose and the electrobes, that should be close enough to ride a few miles in 30 degree weather....... :p
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2004, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Smile

I did some digging and Champion says I need a "RA8HC" That should be easy to find I hope the parts counter guy can get me two of these till Monday I ain't been on the bike since Tuesday
Old 12-25-2004, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

eod_blaster wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just in case they're out of Champions here's some other options - don't want to see you go any longer with out riding

Cross Reference

JW
eod_blaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2004, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Cool

JW, thank you so very much I have been on that web site before, I think I got there through some other web site thou.
That will definately get me riding, I hope.
Now, if only the parts store has them
Old 12-25-2004, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

jamie d wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wink

At walmart in the auto section I found champ. spark plugs I think the p/n was 8610-1 their about $2.95 you'll find a book to cross the p/n at the plug section. hope this helps.
jamie d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2004, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

2kflhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Around here in these parts most of the Indy wrenches use the Autolite 4162. I'm not a FoMoCo fan but thats what I've always run without any problems.

"Significant problems cannot be resolved with the same level of intelligence that created them"

"My Glock is my American Express, I never leave home without it"
2kflhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2004, 10:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Smile

Farm@Fleet opens at 9:00 am, I will be the first biker through there door
I have never paniced so much over two little items like I am now
Mid 30s on Sunday :p Now you see why
Old 12-25-2004, 10:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

murphdog wants to know where he is and how he got here
Mark, RA8HC is the correct one. I've been running them for the last year or so. They come gapped way less than .040 though, so you have to bend the ground strap at kind of an extreme angle. They work fine.
murphdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2004, 10:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Unhappy

Thank you all very much
Get this, as I type this, it is snowing(roads are covered) I may get the plugs but not get to ride, oh well.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

xxxflhrci wants to know Dino or Syn?
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdsparkplugs01.htm
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2004, 12:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
DMC
Still looking for my mind

DMC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kflhr
Around here in these parts most of the Indy wrenches use the Autolite 4162. I'm not a FoMoCo fan but thats what I've always run without any problems.

Why the Autolite 4162 vrs the 4164? I take it that the 4162 is a hotter plug. But why go with a hotter plug? The 4164 seems to work fine for me.

Just asking.

Correction: I should have said, that the 4164 is a hotter plug than the 4162. What was I thinkin????? Thanks Ed

Thanks

Don

Last edited by DMC; 12-30-2004 at 01:11 PM.
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2004, 12:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
4164 is the standard Autolite replacement plug for TC. 4162 is 2 ranges colder.

Autolite is NOT a FoMoCo company anymore.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.