transmission oil change : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2004, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

shadow7 wants to know Dino or Syn?
transmission oil change

I just changed the transmission oil on my 2000 Fatboy. I used Redline Shockproof. When i checked the level it was too high, so i tryed to drain some out. Nothing coming out drain plug. I know the Redline is thick... but. Did i miss something?

thnaks jim
shadow7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2004, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

FXDeanX wants to know Dino or Syn?
Pull the dipstick out of the fill hole...
FXDeanX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2004, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I did that, but maybe I didn't wait long enough. Shockproof is pretty thick. There is only the one drain plug for the transmission, right?

thanks
Old 11-01-2004, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

TomB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Uhhh, Shadow, are you SURE you drained out the tranny and not the primary or crankcase? Level too high, but nothing comes out the drain suggests that you drained one hole and (over)filled another ...
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2004, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

killmeyer000 wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow7
Thanks, I did that, but maybe I didn't wait long enough. Shockproof is pretty thick. There is only the one drain plug for the transmission, right?

thanks
yes, there is only one drain plug. it's in between your shocks. perhaps if you start the bike and let it warm up for a few minutes.
killmeyer000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2004, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

killmeyer000 wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB
Uhhh, Shadow, are you SURE you drained out the tranny and not the primary or crankcase? Level too high, but nothing comes out the drain suggests that you drained one hole and (over)filled another ...
don't start your bike if you are suspicious that this is the case!
killmeyer000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2004, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys, looks like there is allen head drain plug at bottom of crankcase that I thought was the transmission drain. As you mentioned I should have looked up between the shocks for a hex nut. Thanks again
Old 11-01-2004, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

jalexand wants to know Dino or Syn?
Go get a service manual for $50, it will be money well spent.
jalexand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2004, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
It is money well spent, but doesn't show where the drains plugs are at, very well.
I would double check the engine oil to make sure you didn't drain. Just to be safe.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2004, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

jalexand wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker
It is money well spent, but doesn't show where the drains plugs are at, very well.
I would double check the engine oil to make sure you didn't drain. Just to be safe.
I have a FLT manual and it shows very clearly there. But I have used a softail manual on my brothers bike, and it has been less than accurate. But again, if you are going to be doing your own work, the $50 will save alot of headaches and money down the road.
jalexand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2005, 08:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Glennhu wants to know Dino or Syn?
Which one is Transmission Drain Plug?

Can anyone tell me which plug is the drain plug on my 2000 Heritage Softail for the Transmission Fluid? I've looked through the manual and the picture is not that clear. Is it a hex head drain plug (regular standard socket type) or is it the star/torx type screw?

I can feel a regular hex head bolt between the shocks which I thought was the transmission fluid drain, but when I went to the Harley Dealer to buy transmission fluid, the parts guy sold me the torx screw type with the teflon tape and said I should replace the plug after changing the transmission fluid.

Can someone help before I screw up?
Glennhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Rumbles wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennhu
Can anyone tell me which plug is the drain plug on my 2000 Heritage Softail for the Transmission Fluid? I've looked through the manual and the picture is not that clear. Is it a hex head drain plug (regular standard socket type) or is it the star/torx type screw?

I can feel a regular hex head bolt between the shocks which I thought was the transmission fluid drain, but when I went to the Harley Dealer to buy transmission fluid, the parts guy sold me the torx screw type with the teflon tape and said I should replace the plug after changing the transmission fluid.

Can someone help before I screw up?
The small torx head is the primary chain drain, it has a brass washer on it, the engine oil and the transmision plugs are larger and have a hex head and an o ring which usually needs to be replaced.
Rumbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2005, 09:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Glennhu wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks Rumbles... I appreciate your advice.
Glennhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2005, 01:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Seahag wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB

I did this same thing first time out with my FLHT. The service manual didn't show any clear pictures that I could find and I ended up draining the six ounces out of the crankcase....wondering why it overfilled the tranny so quickly led me to look a little harder and thats when I found the plug right up next to the frame rail on the bottom...you have to be damn near completely under the bike to see it if you don't know where you're looking for it.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

jean-luc wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahag
...you have to be damn near completely under the bike to see it if you don't know where you're looking for it.
I use an old mirror...I put it under the bike, I look in the mirror et voila ! No more problemo to do the job..
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.