2004 Touring DTC (diagnostic trouble code) - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2005, 06:27 AM   #31 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

cjroadking wants to know Dino or Syn?
02 RK with 05 ECM ??

Will this code stuff work on my FLHRCI2002 which has had an 05 ECM fitted after the 95" upgrade spiked the 02 ECM. ?? it would be nice to track some problems I'v having at the moment.

Last edited by cjroadking; 06-03-2005 at 08:00 AM.
cjroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2005, 08:28 AM   #32 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ViennaHog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjroadking
Will this code stuff work on my FLHRCI2002 which has had an 05 ECM fitted after the 95" upgrade spiked the 02 ECM. ?? it would be nice to track some problems I'v having at the moment.
First time that I heard that an 05 ECM works with 02 circuitry. Curious about it
ViennaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:35 AM   #33 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

That's what the dealership told me ??

I had the 05 ECM fitted as a replacement for the original 02ECM after the dealer damaged it during the Stage II 95" upgrade. They said they had to get a new module as well as the ECM. I don't know much about these things but trying to learn.

I have a thread open in Twin-Cam Engine Technical Discussions with details of my technical problems
Old 08-14-2005, 03:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
IronButt

kb2kuu wants to know Dino or Syn?
Great information. I was storing u1097 in 2 areas. P and S. I cleared them for now and will see if it returns. I used this information on my 2004 Fatboy, carbureted.
Thanks.

kb2kuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:41 PM   #35 (permalink)
FNG :)

miken488 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Engine Trouble Codes

Does anyone know if this procedure that is well defined here for a 2004 will work on a 2002 Road King to retrieve and diagnose trouble codes?
miken488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #36 (permalink)
Harris

No, this works only for '04 and newer. The earlier years have a limited number of codes that can be pulled through a process using the turn signals for TS/SM codes and the the ignition switch for ECM codes.

To pull the ECM codes on your bike:

1) Make sure the kill switch on the handlebar is in the "RUN" position.

2) Turn the ignition switch to the ignition position for 4 seconds, then turn it off for 3 seconds, then on for 4 seconds, then off for 3. then turn it on, and in 8 seconds your check engine light will start flashing.

3) There will be a series of rapid flashes (3 per second) then a 2 second pause, then the lamp will flash one or more times to indicate the first digit of the trouble code. count the number of flashes (one sec. each, one sec. apart) to get the first digit. then there will be a 2 second pause, then the second digit will flash out in the same way as the first.

if there is more than one code, they are seperated by an "intermisson" of rapid flashes.

Keep writing down the code flashes, until it repeats the same one. Once it does, you have retreived all codes.

The codes are:

11 = Trottle position sensor

12 = Barometric pressure sensor

14 = Engine temperature sensor

15 = intake air temp. sensor

16 = battery positive voltage

23 = front injector

24 = front ign. coil

25 = rear ign. coil

32 = rear injector

33 = fuel pump relay

35 = Tachometer (doesn 't apply on FLHR/C-I)

41 = Crankshaft position sensor

42 = camshaft position sensor

44 = bank angle sensor

52, 53, 54, and 55 = ECM problems requiring new ECM

56 = Crank position sensor/Cam position sensor signal error

Harris

Last edited by Harris; 08-16-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:47 AM   #37 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Dtc

Harris,

Thanks for this valuable information. It will help me a great deal. Thanks

C.J.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:59 AM   #38 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

tlzfl wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you are able to clear a DTC code and it doesn't return after you run the bike, does that mean the problem has "fixed itself"????
tlzfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:19 AM   #39 (permalink)
72FX/04Ultra

fauskar wants to know Dino or Syn?
Maybe or maybe not. Codes are recorded as they are sensed. Could you still have a marginal device in your bike and not set a code; sure. Has anyone experience a "false" positive sensed by the ECM; probably not unless the ECM is defective.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:56 PM   #40 (permalink)

bikermike909 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Dtc

I've had my check engine light flash intermittently for the past 200 miles on my 2003 FLSTFI. I have a screamin eagle EFI race tuner that gave me a P1358 code (Intermittent Secondary Rear EFI), I tried you method for pulling the DTC's, but the displays I received were different. Can you give me any advice, i.e. if your method dosen't work on 2003's and what that code might mean? The following is what displayed.

d01CLr
d02CLr
d03CLr
d04CLr
d05CLr
d06CLr
d07CLr
d08CLr
d09CLr
d10CLr
PPU
bikermike909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:02 PM   #41 (permalink)
Harris

All ten items are "clear" (CLr).

Harris
Old 01-05-2006, 06:55 PM   #42 (permalink)

Greg Hilz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Anyone know the error codes for a '99 roadglide?

If anyone knows where to download/print a copy of the diagnostic codes for a '99 Roadglide, they would make my entire year. I've been having indicator light anomalies on this bike for three years.

thanks,
greg
Greg Hilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #43 (permalink)
Harris

Greg,

These worked on an '00. I'm not sure about a '99, but I think they will:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris
No, this works only for '04 and newer. The earlier years have a limited number of codes that can be pulled through a process using the turn signals for TS/SM codes and the the ignition switch for ECM codes.

To pull the ECM codes on your bike:

1) Make sure the kill switch on the handlebar is in the "RUN" position.

2) Turn the ignition switch to the ignition position for 4 seconds, then turn it off for 3 seconds, then on for 4 seconds, then off for 3. then turn it on, and in 8 seconds your check engine light will start flashing.

3) There will be a series of rapid flashes (3 per second) then a 2 second pause, then the lamp will flash one or more times to indicate the first digit of the trouble code. count the number of flashes (one sec. each, one sec. apart) to get the first digit. then there will be a 2 second pause, then the second digit will flash out in the same way as the first.

if there is more than one code, they are seperated by an "intermisson" of rapid flashes.

Keep writing down the code flashes, until it repeats the same one. Once it does, you have retreived all codes.

The codes are:

11 = Trottle position sensor

12 = Barometric pressure sensor

14 = Engine temperature sensor

15 = intake air temp. sensor

16 = battery positive voltage

23 = front injector

24 = front ign. coil

25 = rear ign. coil

32 = rear injector

33 = fuel pump relay

35 = Tachometer (doesn 't apply on FLHR/C-I)

41 = Crankshaft position sensor

42 = camshaft position sensor

44 = bank angle sensor

52, 53, 54, and 55 = ECM problems requiring new ECM

56 = Crank position sensor/Cam position sensor signal error

Harris
Old 03-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #44 (permalink)
IronButt

yzf996fxdwg wants to know Dino or Syn?
so i tried the '02 version on my sputtering '02 roadglide. after the on/off sequence the engine light comes on solid after 8 seconds and stays on for about 4 then never returns. i have a power commander do i need to disconect it in order to retrieve the codes? thanks.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:32 PM   #45 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Meks wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzf996fxdwg
so i tried the '02 version on my sputtering '02 roadglide. after the on/off sequence the engine light comes on solid after 8 seconds and stays on for about 4 then never returns. i have a power commander do i need to disconect it in order to retrieve the codes? thanks.
look in the right side cover, see the datalink ? it's a 4 place connector with a rubber plug in it...

pull the plug n fashion yourself a jumper to jump the #1 and #2 wires, look carefully for the lil tiny numbers on the connector back and DON'T HOOK UP THE WRONG ONE'S... turn the ignition on and count the slower flashes as they come...

now look in u'r manual for what those codes mean...

and yeaa all this stuff is in u'r HD electrical diagnostics service manual, no one made this up on their own but I'm sure some are grateful for the one's that took the time to type it out...

buy yourself the three manuals for your bike and u'll find all this stuff and more in it....
HD Parts manual
HD Electrical diagnostic manual
HD Service manual

and if u have a police bike add...

HD Police parts supplemental manual
HD Police service supplemental manual

5 books for one bike, I wish HD would do like most and consolidate these so u don't have to take a loan out to buy them every year...

Last edited by Meks; 06-02-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement