Best synthetic oil for primary ? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2002, 07:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Mark A. Nemetz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Best synthetic oil for primary ?

I converted my Dyna Wide Glide over to Mobil 1 "V-Twin" oil in last weekend. I also put the 70-90W Mobil 1 in the chain case. The problem is that I could not find any 10W40 Mobil 1. All I could see on the store shelves were 0W30, 5W30, and 20W50. I had heard that a lot of manufacturers stopped reccomending 10W40, so a lot of suppliers stopped stocking it. I did have a quart of Golden Spectro 10W40 semi-synthetic at home, which I heard was OK to use....so I used that. Anyone have any experience with Golden Spectro oils ?
Mark A. Nemetz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2002, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

twincamzz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yep, I used to use Golden Spectro semi synthetic in my tranny (84 FXRS). Never had any problems, shifted smoooooth as silk.
twincamzz
twincamzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2002, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

JoeJitsu wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Mobil 1 20W50 is great for V-Rods

JoeJitsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2002, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Sidewalk wants to know Dino or Syn?
What I got:

15w-50
75w-90

Mobil 1
'88 Ford Bronco II - Trail slut
'95 Trooper - Cosco and puppy transportation
'00 Buell Blast - out on loan
'04 Honda Shadow Aero - wife's daily driver
Sidewalk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2002, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

BOOMER wants to know Dino or Syn?
Redline MTL
BOOMER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2002, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
You don't say?

Duoglide_62 wants to know Dino or Syn?
www.amsoil.com has a SAE 10w-40 motorcycle oil that you can run in your primary. You can also look @ www.bel-ray.com. They have a V Twin conversion guide that has all their products listed. You can also check out www.redlineoil.com. I believe they recommend their MTL. I was told that the 'top secret' motor co. primary fluid is plain old SAE 5W-30 refined by Shell or Sunoco.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are quite a few standards used to grade oils, lubes etc. For example, a 75W-90 gear lube has nearly the same viscosity as SAE 10w-40 motor oil. That's not to say that you should substitute one for the other. You should just be aware of the differences when choosing oils and the like so you don't get hosed by all the marketing hype.

Last edited by Duoglide_62; 08-26-2002 at 08:35 PM.
Duoglide_62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2002, 09:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Just Like to Ride

Unome wants to know Dino or Syn?
Maybe Hippo can help here.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the primary similar to the differential in rear wheel drive cars? Both serve same function. I saw on another post where someone said you can run synthetic 75w90 in the primary. Now I'm not about to just do this and definitely ain't asking local h-d shop for opinion(already know what their response will be.

Hippo, you comments or anyone else?
Unome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2002, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Just bad

thomas_l wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally posted by Unome
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the primary similar to the differential in rear wheel drive cars?
You're wrong.

The clutch is swimming in there along with the chain connecting the engine drive and the clutch hub. There's no gears meshing like in a differential.

I put Mobil 1 15w-50 in the engine but bought the magical H-D fluids for the primary and trans since the amount was so small and I didn't have time to research any alternates. I refuse to pay double for "V-twin oil" that is probably the same thing as the stuff I bought at K-mart for $3.99/qt. Sure I can afford it - I just hate being ripped off for $15 because its "specially blended for v-twins." Bull$hit.

The only worry I would have with dumping any 75w-90 in the primary case would be friction modifiers used in a regular gear lube causing unpredicatable clutch performance. Looking at the BelRay site, they have one product clearly labeled for gear assemblies only (gear saver hypoid gear oil) and another for primaries and transmissions (motorcycle transmission oil). The reports of 10w-40 motor oil going in the primary case agree with my eyeball guess of the HD primary oil - it is definitely not thick and stinky like gear lube. Next big service I do I am inclined to buy an extra quart of the 15w-50 motor oil and use that in the primary case while finding some syn 85w-140 lube for the trans.

Unless someone with a better experience posts here first
thomas_l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2002, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Boismier

More idle musings from me with no actual experience to back it up...

Now that Mobil 1 has a new formulation with friction modifiers, I'd be hesitant to put it in the primary. I know that *** bikes (with engine and clutch lubrication shared) can have clutch problems when using oil with friction modifiers. Doesn't bother me a bit to put the new Mobil 1 in the engine though ...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2002, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

HIPPO wants to know Dino or Syn?
The best primary oil is Redline MTL.

If you want to use something else, use a light gear oil with GL4 specs. By all means avoid the GL5 spec and even the GL4/GL5 spec.

Some aftermarket clutches require ATF.

Laughing at the devil, Living in the wind
HIPPO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2002, 01:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

miken488 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mobil 1

I have used Mobil 1 oils for sometime now, both in my 95 Low Rider, and my new 2002 Road King. I started using Golden Spectro synthetics sometime ago, but switched to Mobil 1 about 4 years ago. The use of synthetics in your transmission will make it shift much smoother, and run quieter and cooler than with conventional HD transmission oil. It also lowers friction and has less horsepower loss due the increased flow of the synthetic oil. In fact, Amsoil advertises that mileage increases by 4% when using their synthetic transmission oil. The use of synthetic oil in the engine has lowered my engine oil temperatures by 12-15 degrees.

Mobil 1 now says that you can use their 20w-50 V-twin oil in the motor, the primary, and the transmission. The use of synthetics in the primary will extend clutch life, and lower temperatures. Even thought Mobil 1 says one oil will cover all 3 areas, I still use Mobil 1 synthetic 75 - 90w gear oil in my transmission, and the 20w-50 in the primary and engine.

Mike
miken488 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2002, 09:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

cornea wants to know Dino or Syn?
Primary oil

Howdy all, I contacted mobil 1 on their web site. They advise using the MX4T 10w40 oil for the primary because it has no friction modifiers. I have not yet put it in the bike, but I'll do so this weekend. I will let you know how it works after a month or so. I am somewhat hesitant to use the gear oil in my primary. I use it in the tranny, but it sure feels thick to me for the primary. But what do I know?? Not much about oils.
adios,,
Old 09-11-2002, 12:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

hd2000fxdl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hey Mark A Nemetz,

The reason you see all the new vehicles recomending 5-20 or lower is for the company to meet mileage spec's. I have 2 vehicles 99 and 02 along with a 00 Lowrider. I use 10-40 in the car and truck, just because I like it and it works fine, also it keeps the inside on my engine clean, so I go by the rule don't change it it's working good. On the HD I use hd oil 20-50 but change it every 1k. My rule of thum. I guess I change my oil enough and it's not dirty enought I might just start using it in my truck. Well it just a truck.
hd2000fxdl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2002, 10:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Sidewalk wants to know Dino or Syn?
The 5w-20 is for emissions/mileage purposes. However, the engine tolerances have been tightened up as well. So you are going to get a lack of lubrication to these tighter tolerance bearings, additional wear will be seen over time.

The philosophy of "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" doesn't work when these things change.
'88 Ford Bronco II - Trail slut
'95 Trooper - Cosco and puppy transportation
'00 Buell Blast - out on loan
'04 Honda Shadow Aero - wife's daily driver
Sidewalk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2002, 08:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

chiselchst wants to know Dino or Syn?
What I found very interesting was to do a search on this Forum, with the word "Synthetic".

My opinion, worth what you paid for it...
chiselchst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.