Ride without battery - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdshovel View Post
jammer45u I think this S&S EZ Start cams can help. Do you know anyone in use?
Sorry Shovel, I have no first hand experience with the S&S EZ Start. You could use the search function on this site, I'm sure there is plenty of info there.

I think compression releases would save a few visits to the emergency room for leg plaster if you move forward on this build.

As far as the battery. I wonder if a very small 12 volt, like the dry cell flashlight batteries, is all that mag needs.

Good luck with your project, it sounds interesting.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Does anyone know if this kick works?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-6-SPEED-TR...sories&vxp=mtr
That doesn't look very strong to me. If you're doing this to eliminate problems while out in the Amazon or something like that, the last thing you want is a broker kicker 100 miles from nowhere.

Go to www.bakerdrivetrain.com. They have their act together and will provide a quality product that shouldn't let you down.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
just convert it over to carb and quit trying to re-invent the wheel. You are gonna spend THOUSANDS more to have a potentially bigger PITA when you are done. By losing the carb you will lose SOME of the electronics, you want less go buy an EVO FXR or Softail and strip that.JMO.
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After...approaching completion.
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Vulcan makes a Evo ignition conversion. Dont get more simple than that. Cheaper to.

Or, no offense, but the efi is bar none, the best way to stay for a good running bike, just educate yourself with it and remember we are here if you need help.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Bowtie18 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King Cole View Post
I could ask the same of your "responses"...

Sounds like the OP wants to chop and be old school, which sounds pretty cool to me.

Obviously with just a kick start, compression releases would be a good idea.

Never looked into just using a magneto before, but I would think you would also need a new regulator.

Hopefully this will be a great thread if you keep your progress documented and ignore the "naysayers"....

rkc
Big +1.

Best of luck to the OP with his questions.

Who are we to judge?
Old 11-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

Dan89FLSTC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bdBagr View Post
just convert it over to carb and quit trying to re-invent the wheel. You are gonna spend THOUSANDS more to have a potentially bigger PITA when you are done. By losing the carb you will lose SOME of the electronics, you want less go buy an EVO FXR or Softail and strip that.JMO.
Tim

You will be better off riding out in the boonies on a modern unmodified motorcycle than riding a cobbled up homemade wired bike...

Just ride the Shovel...
Dan89FLSTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

sgmfisher wants to know where he is and how he got here
You have a lot of things to consider on this project. Remember, you can make anything work if you put enough money into it. There are a lot of low money, forgotten projects out there, usually basket cases. Go one step at a time, I would recommend converting to a carburetor first. Yes you will need a battery if you are going to try to run the minimum of lights. Those old models had 35 mph head lights on them, maybe 40. You are going to have to come up with a drive system for the magneto, just getting a shovle head isn't the answer. You will have to probably end up with an old time voltage regulator. You will have to fab the entire right engine cover and a drive system for the mag, unless you figure a way to make a belt drive for it. It would probably be easier and cheaper to get a late model reproduction Panhead engine. Problem solved. In the wind.

Pops
sgmfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
FNG :)

Shock Loaded wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
The point is that I know nothing about electronics. My fist HD is a Electra Glide FL 1977 (I still got it) and I`ve added a kickstart to not bee a hostage of battery, fuse, etc, in my long rides by my self.
So I would like to keep my FX out off the dealers and their computers.
my .02, keep what you have. IF, you want to move forward, with no knowledge of electronics, you have two real choices. Either educate yourself on the electrical/electronic side or realize you will need a lot of assistance to see the project through to an acceptable completion. Good luck with whichever you choose!
Shock Loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
Thanks! I needed that.

Scabbydoo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
....My idea is to convert to carb, kickstar and magneto....
Not planning on doing much night riding, huh

95" Bore by Zippers - Wiseco 9.5 Pistons - T-Man StageII Heads - Andrews 37G Cams - Stock Crossover Dual Headers
Samson Fishtail SlipOn's - TTS Mastertune - Build and Dyno by JD's Cycle Works

HP=98.03 - TQ=102.14 Uncorrected
HP=93.36 - TQ=97.27 SAE Corrected

Cost of build, about right. Value of grins, PRICELESS!

Scabbydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
for 200.00 you could have a spare aftermarket system ready to plug in.
take all of 10 min.
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement