Spring tensioners TC88 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

samiambam wants to know Dino or Syn?
Spring tensioners TC88

Okay, I'm sure there has been a lot of discussion on this topic and a lot of varied answers, but here goes. Has anyone had issues with their stock TC spring Cam tensioners . I have heard they can be a major problem but not everyone agrees. I have actually had a long discussion with a well know engine builder who doesn't believe they are as big of a problem as some think. He further tells me that the hydraulic tensioners can be bad if you lose oil pressure. I am just trying to figure out if anyone has actually experienced a failure. Thanks
samiambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

DURWOOD wants to know Dino or Syn?
There are tons of threads about this subject,the question is when not if they will need service..
If your bike has 20k or more miles,take it down and give it a look.

John 3:16
DURWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I guess what I am asking is this. If you check and service the tensioners every 15-20000 miles, should you be pretty secure with respect to catastrophic failure? do you think that changing the set -up is a necessity?
Thanks again
Old 10-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiambam View Post
Thanks. I guess what I am asking is this. If you check and service the tensioners every 15-20000 miles, should you be pretty secure with respect to catastrophic failure? do you think that changing the set -up is a necessity?
Thanks again
If you don't mind going thru the PITA pulling the cam chest apart every 15 to 20,000 miles you can be pretty near worry free.

The problem is you can't really get a good look at the rear tensioner without pulling the cam door out. That means you'll either have to install adjustable pushrods or pull the rocker boxes off. Most feel it's not worth the hassle and install a system they can trust.

I guess it comes down to how much you ride. Some people don't put 20,000 miles on the entire time they own the bike, others put that much on every year.
jammer45u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
This is probably the best thread on the subject.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/tw...re-survey.html

Never heard about "hydraulic tensioners can be bad if you lose oil pressure" specifically.

Not sure what year bike you have, but if you can go with gear drive cams it is very worry free and the best option IMHO.

rkc
Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

High Torque wants to know Dino or Syn?
While some have experienced failures with the original tensioners, it appears that the internet has made this into a issue every second twin cam engine will have. This is not the case. Yes, this is a service part and as such has to be inspected and serviced. Rapid wear was more likely caused by a poorly ground and polished chain than the tensioner material itself. Many will tell you to ditch the chain and "go gears". This takes the maintenance part out of the equation, but if the crank has excessive runout, it's not an option.
High Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Guys. I ride an 06 heritage, tc efi.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Torque View Post
While some have experienced failures with the original tensioners, it appears that the internet has made this into a issue every second twin cam engine will have. This is not the case. Yes, this is a service part and as such has to be inspected and serviced. Rapid wear was more likely caused by a poorly ground and polished chain than the tensioner material itself. Many will tell you to ditch the chain and "go gears". This takes the maintenance part out of the equation, but if the crank has excessive runout, it's not an option.
Sad isn't it? The best fix for a poorly designed system isn't a good option because the crankshafts aren't turning true enough.
We should be able to do better than that.
jammer45u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

LoneEagle964 wants to know Dino or Syn?
[QUOTE=. He further tells me that the hydraulic tensioners can be bad if you lose oil pressure. I am just trying to figure out if anyone has actually experienced a failure. Thanks[/QUOTE]

It would be my opinion that if you loose oil pressure with either type tensioners that you would have a MUCh bigger problem to worry about and it would not matter what type tensioners you have .

LoneEagle
LoneEagle964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

JuiceMan wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am screaming with Jammer.......MOCO's profit margin is almost
Illegal and they are cranking out this sort of product.
If I buy a Yugoslav, I expect such problems as cranks w/excessive runout and such.
I love my Harley men, and won't go any other way.....BUT Hondas are MUCH cheaper and they just GO AND GO AND GO.

I am just agreeing, we CAN do better. Bring parts and component production back to the States.
JuiceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceMan View Post
I love my Harley men, and won't go any other way.....
OK,

Not sure why that needs to be brought up in a technical discussion, but thanks for sharing.

Anyhow back to the subject, I thought the hydraulic system was a pretty good fix for those who don't have the crank tolerance.

rkc
Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

That f&*%ing sucks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King Cole View Post
OK,

Not sure why that needs to be brought up in a technical discussion, but thanks for sharing.

Anyhow back to the subject, I thought the hydraulic system was a pretty good fix for those who don't have the crank tolerance.

rkc
YIKES......Did I write that??

I like your sense of humor R K Cole, but damn man, that aint what I meant to say...... or "share....."

On a serious note, I know profits are important, we almost lost Harley Davidson's in the 70's???? I think.... when the MOCO was bought by AMC.......

Anyway, MOCO needs to make money, gotta feed the monkey man, but INDONESIA???? WTF do Indonesians know about the heritage and history of a Harley, or the MOCO itself. I like the post about MOCO changing the tolerance on crankshaft runout due to the FACT that the firm they were hiring to produce them couldn't make them to the previous specification for the $$$ that the MOCO wants to pay for the part.

I guess I just don't see how it all fits together. Why does a company that only exists because of the Spirit and Heart that Americans created in it, want to take good paying jobs away form those same Americans so that the shareholders can get bigger dividend checks????

How are we expected to buy their OVERPRICED products (t-shirts, chrome pretty's for bezels, parts to keep our poorly built dreams running, etc.....) if we have no JOBS to make the MONEY they wish to extract from us????

I apologize, this entire post is BS. I am preaching to the choir and this aint the place...............but I can't bring myself to delete it, if we continue to stay silent, we continue to support the system. The "Status Quo" is short for "The Mess We're In" and I for one am willing to be a bit annoying on this forum to try and piss a few of you off so that you will DEMAND change in some small way.

I am done.

Anyone know anything about a 2011 Cam Plate Conversion Kit that will allow me to change my spring tensioners to Hydraulic tensioners? I am disabled ex-military and would love to "go gears," but I am hoping the conversion is a bit cheaper???

Anybody know of the kit I'm talking about? I saw a post on it but I cannot seem to find it and I do search before I ask......

I love the forum, please don't kick me off for ranting a bit......I need the knowledge on here!

Be Blessed and keep the shiney side UP...

JuiceMan
Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
merry old soul

Quote:
YIKES......Did I write that??

I like your sense of humor R K Cole, but damn man, that aint what I meant to say...... or "share....."
I know, I just couldn't resist.

Quote:
Anyone know anything about a 2011 Cam Plate Conversion Kit that will allow me to change my spring tensioners to Hydraulic tensioners?
Well, not sure what you have for a ride, but if you have a 2011 it already has the hydraulic upgrade. I think it was 2006 they started putting those in.

Quote:
I am disabled ex-military
Thank you for your service!

btw, I always enjoy riding much more than ranting

Get out and enjoy your ride!

rkc
Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I ride an '04 Ultra and looking to convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King Cole View Post
I know, I just couldn't resist.

Well, not sure what you have for a ride, but if you have a 2011 it already has the hydraulic upgrade. I think it was 2006 they started putting those in.

Thank you for your service!

btw, I always enjoy riding much more than ranting

Get out and enjoy your ride!

rkc

Yes riding is my choice also, but I have the cam cover pulled and was just gonna r&r the tensioners, but as I searched for options, a comment was made on a thread about a kit that Harley now has available to swap to hydraulic tensioners. This members aid it was new in 2011, that's why I said that.
I had a brain storm and decided to call Duff, our local H-D dealer parts man.........

Soon to be riding.......soon
Old 11-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

hugie03flhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
YouTube has a nice video on how to check the rear tensioner with a small mirror.
Good oil and check every 15-20k should keep you on the road for many years
hugie03flhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement