EFI to carb swap IGNITION help needed : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

cike wants to know Dino or Syn?
EFI to carb swap IGNITION help needed (NEED HELP ASAP PLEASE see post #9)

Hi guys, first let me say yes i'm new here, and yes I tried searching for the answer I needed before posting.

I am getting ready to do a efi to carb swap on my 99 RK. I picked up a new screamin eagle ignition set from a buddy, pn#32722-99 which has ignition module 32719-99 and coil #31708-99.
It says that it fits 99-later FLHT/FLT models. Is there some reason that I don't know of as to why this would not work with a 99 FLHR?? seems to me it is the same bike other than the fairing gauges

here is what I plan on using..look ok?

Efi to carb parts list that I have/ordered
$10.00 Used MAP Ebay
$1.75 MAP seal -11291 Buckeye H-D
$3.50 MAP clip 38723-99 Buckeye H-D
$1.61 MAP screw 68042-99 Buckeye H-D
$99.05 Used wire harness - 32435-99 Ebay
$75.00 New Screamin Eagle ignition kit #32722-99 friend
$474.99 New S&S complete carb kit - 11-0450 Ebay
$49.95 New Pingel tank adapter -0750-0030 Buckeye H-D
$105.95 New Pingel Petcock 1311-CH-Hex design - Ebay
$0.37 tax
$822.17 total

I know it could have ben done cheaper but I wanted the new S&S, and I hope to sell the efi and get a little of my $ back.

thanks for any help.

Last edited by cike; 08-11-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: add to title
cike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
Generally when Harley uses the designation FLT now days it's referring to Electra Glides, Road Glides and Road Kings so yes that should work OK assuming it's for a carbed setup.

From what I remember your list looks good. Just my opinion but I'd opt for a CV carb rather than an S&S.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

hugie03flhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you have the factory service manual, check the ECM plug pins to make sure Harley didn't move a pin location. If one pin is wrong you're dead in the water

Last edited by hugie03flhr; 08-02-2012 at 03:30 PM.
hugie03flhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugie03flhr View Post
If you have the factory service manual, check the ECM plug pins to make sure Harley didn't move a pin location. If one pin is wrong you're dead in the water
I would assume that Cike has a manual or it will be a futile task trying to guess what is needed not to mention pin/wire location. If you dont have a manual Cike I would highly reccomend getting one it will be your best friend when in doubt during your change-over & also in the future.
And we rolled...... clean out of sight

Dare...

2000 FXST - Carbed
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

first off thanks for the replies.

Ed Y: thats what I figured too..I have nothing against the cv carbs, with a thunder slide kit they really wake up. i've just always wanted a S&S carb/ air cleaner, and getting the kit keeps me from having to piece together the backing plate, motor mount, choke, etc. plus buying new i know that I am not buying something that has problems with it.

Hugie and rollmeaway: i do have a manual, it is a clymer not factory but it has a wire diagram in it. I get so confused when it comes to electronics..the wire colors and pin numbers for the 1999 flhr and the flht match. unless i'm thinking wrong, isn't the ecm the computer, and won't that be pulled out during the swap? or is it that as long as they match everything will match up once swapped out?

Rollmeaway: what a great song. One of my favorites. BTW 12 hrs out of Mackanaw city (stopped in the bar to have a brew) is Dayton Oh where i'm at..
Old 08-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
your right on all (almost all) accounts, the ECM gets yanked and the new harness plugs into the main harness and the SE ignition plugs in and bolts down where the ECM was.The FLHT and FLHR stuff doesn't matter for this part, all the same. The only thing id say is go get the factory manual instead of the Clymer. You'll find it invaluable through the ownership of your bike. I'm looking at mine right now making sure about some re-assembly stuff...
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks Ibdbagr

I have everything I need now to do the changeover now I just need to decide if I should do it now or wait until over winter to avoid down time.
I was at the dealership today and did a double check in the books and the 99 flhr and the flht both take the same stock coil and module as I thought so it looks like everything is comming together.

thanks everyone
Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
do it now it will take an afternoon.....piece of cake.
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

need help fast.
I decided to go ahead and do the swap I have everything done except for the tank. I have a 99 so it has the inside metal line. I got most of the line cut out but not sure how to do the rest. man that is a tight area to work in.
One of my good riding buddies just passed away and we are planning to ride as a group to the services so I need to get this up asap
Old 08-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

GR8FL wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm new here also and am working towards making the swap on my 05 Road King. Any advice on differences to the shopping list for my bike specifically would be greatly appreciated. I'll have the money together within three weeks and am hoping to have my list complete by then. I have a P0264 Rear Injector High code and have done everything but strip the loom all the way back to the ECU until I get lucky and find the short. I'm done with this flippin EFI and all the maps and tuners. I've read everything I can find for the last three nights and feel pretty confident based upon what I've been able to learn.
Ron

Last edited by GR8FL; 08-16-2012 at 09:49 PM.
GR8FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

GR8FL wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend cike. My prayers are with you, your friends and your buddies family.
Ron
GR8FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

Money Pit wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've went the same route on my 2001 TC88B. This is what I ordered and it'll be arriving tomorrow via FedEx.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/382-013
Money Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

dunbarton wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8FL View Post
I'm new here also and am working towards making the swap on my 05 Road King. Any advice on differences to the shopping list for my bike specifically would be greatly appreciated. I'll have the money together within three weeks and am hoping to have my list complete by then. I have a P0264 Rear Injector High code and have done everything but strip the loom all the way back to the ECU until I get lucky and find the short. I'm done with this flippin EFI and all the maps and tuners. I've read everything I can find for the last three nights and feel pretty confident based upon what I've been able to learn.
Ron
There are differences between the '99 and '05 bikes so you will need to make up your own list. If you have an oem Service Manual and a Parts Manual for your bike, it will show both the parts list and process to remove and install the necessary components if there was both an FI and carb version of your bike that year. I'm not even going to ask why you want to replace the Delphi FI with a carb.
dunbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

dunbarton wants to know Dino or Syn?
In going with the S&S, I think you will be giving up cruise control if your bike is so equipped. Most people with touring bikes don't want to do that.
dunbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Punch It!

bigblock455 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Any update here? In my opinion an S&S carb would be Waaaaaaaay behind a Mikuni or at least a CV as my choice. The true fuel pump on the Mikuni sold me and it goes.

2006 Cobalt Blue FLTRI
GMR Stage III heads, JE 10.5:1 98" Pistons, R&R 615/585 cams, 1.67 Roller Rockers, 3.37 primary, Riviera Pro Clutch, V&H true duals w/CVO muffler and 2" Fullsacs, SE/Zippers AC, Thundermax HPI 55mm TB
bigblock455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement