Puking Oil from A/C : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

waynehead99 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Puking Oil from A/C

Guys, have one that I am scratching my head on. Bike is an 06 Ultra with only 11K miles on it (bought it with 6500 about a year ago).

Has SE A/C Backplate and SE slip ons with a Power Commander. Other than that, it's stock.

Bike is not consuming oil and it wasn't overfilled.

I did a 10K check on the bike last Thursday for a weekend in the mountains, everything went smooth and without issue.

So, onto the problem. This weekend it has been hot in Denver, 100+ degrees, we left Friday afternoon to head to Vail. Climbed Eisenhower without issue and when it came to Vail Pass, getting to the top, clouds of smoke coming from me. I pull over and see the side of the motor covered in oil coming from the air cleaner. I figured i had been hard on the bike and let it sit and calm down. Started it up and everything was fine and cleaned it up and went on my way.

Well today climbing Eisenhower to come back to Denver, it did the same thing and this time i made sure that i stayed easy on the bike to keep it from happening again.

I suspect the bike is getting hot and that this may be a heat problem. I have searched everywhere and see lots of people talking about excessive misting problems, but nothing related to the bike just puking out a lot of oil.
waynehead99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Oil Puking out of A/C

Posted this in the touring forum and didn't get any response, figured it was probably the wrong place. Sorry for the double post:

Guys, have one that I am scratching my head on. Bike is an 06 Ultra with only 11K miles on it (bought it with 6500 about a year ago).

Has SE A/C Backplate and SE slip ons with a Power Commander. Other than that, it's stock.

Bike is not consuming oil and it wasn't overfilled.

I did a 10K check on the bike last Thursday for a weekend in the mountains, everything went smooth and without issue.

So, onto the problem. This weekend it has been hot in Denver, 100+ degrees, we left Friday afternoon to head to Vail. Climbed Eisenhower without issue and when it came to Vail Pass, getting to the top, clouds of smoke coming from me. I pull over and see the side of the motor covered in oil coming from the air cleaner. I figured i had been hard on the bike and let it sit and calm down. Started it up and everything was fine and cleaned it up and went on my way.

Well today climbing Eisenhower to come back to Denver, it did the same thing and this time i made sure that i stayed easy on the bike to keep it from happening again.

I suspect the bike is getting hot and that this may be a heat problem. I have searched everywhere and see lots of people talking about excessive misting problems, but nothing related to the bike just puking out a lot of oil.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

vindex1963 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Overfilling the oil will do it. I keep it near the bottom fill line.

Please vote for Ride of the Month

Have a question about the site look here.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 Ultra
vindex1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

nvsteve wants to know Dino or Syn?
The only time my bike puked a lot of oil it was the oil pump. Cam bearing took took a dump and the filings messed up the gerators.
nvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Checked the oil. Not overfilled. Suspected pump but this has only happened this time. Other than that the bike runs great. That's why I suspect load up the hill on a really hot day.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPod touch app
Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

harleymojoman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oil Problem solved on my RK

I found two areas where you might be causing a problem.
I fixed both on mine and no more issues with oil in the AC.

1.) run 1/2 qt LESS oil in the engine instead of specified.
2.) If you have a K&N filter DON"T over oil it.

This worked for me . . . good luck!
harleymojoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 01:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

HDMoneyPit wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 06 EG, mine did the same thing with only 2000 miles on it. I changed from sin to dino oil and went to a 20-50 weight in the hotter months, i also run it a 1/2 qt low. Almost 25,000 on the clock now and everything is still good, i do get an occational drip for the AC but nothing like covering the whole right side like it use to. You will get a 1000 differant answers on this one, but the most popular solution to the problem that i have read from riders is running it a 1/2 to 1 qt low on oil.
HDMoneyPit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

vindex1963 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I merged your double post.

Please vote for Ride of the Month

Have a question about the site look here.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 Ultra
vindex1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thanks for the replies. I will check the oil again when I get home. I would imagine with the amount of oil I lost over the weekend, I am about half a quart low now

I am also thinking of adding an oil cooler as well.

Currently, I am going to take the lowers off, this heat in Denver is abnormal right now and getting out of control on the bike.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Donnie1956 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had the same problem on my 2000 FLHRI if I fill the oil to the top mark. If I keep it 1/2 qt low I can run hard all day long without puking.
Donnie1956 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 03:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Doof Armorer

slo_kid78 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had a similar problem with my 06 Street Glide, with the exception that I would suffer some major loss of power when riding around town, but would be ok on the highway. Ended up being a bad O-ring in the oil pump, allowing oil to drain into the crank case. The oil pump would "catch up" at highway speeds, then when back to in town riding, the crank was just acting like a paddle wheel in there. Good luck, and hopefully your problem is simpler than mine was.
Hooker 2:1 header
25 deg. speed nozzle upgrade
slo_kid78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.