bearing problems 0n twin cam 88 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

se2deuce wants to know Dino or Syn?
bearing problems 0n twin cam 88

was trying to sell a 2004 cvo deuce and somebody came to look at it and said they were told to stay away from all twin cam motors made before 2008 because they had bad crank bearings . i have two other twin cams with over 65000 kms on them and have had no problems and havent heard of any body else having problems with them . has anybody else heard that . i know the early twin cams had cam bearing problems
se2deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

hoghawler wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sounds to me like he was trying to get you to lower the price. The answer is no they did not have bad crank bearings, and I'm sure most everyone else on here will tell you the same thing.
hoghawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

DaveCarlson wants to know Dino or Syn?
Not crank bearings but inner cam bearings. The existing ones aren't terrible, it's just that there are better bearings to be had (Torrington B148). The spring loaded cam chain tensioners can be a problem as well.
DaveCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
Not sure which bearings they mean.

They got rid of the Timken in 2003, on the crank shaft. I wouldn't say to stay away from 2003+, but it is a worse design.

The inner cam bearning, I think Dave may be talking about was 99-2000. 99-2006 was also the spring tensioned cam chains, not the best design.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

DaveCarlson wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post
Not sure which bearings they mean.

They got rid of the Timken in 2003, on the crank shaft. I wouldn't say to stay away from 2003+, but it is a worse design.

The inner cam bearning, I think Dave may be talking about was 99-2000. 99-2006 was also the spring tensioned cam chains, not the best design.
I had the caged inner cam bearings in my '01 Wide Glide. Aren't they the questionable ones? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to pass on poor advice.

Thanks, Dave
DaveCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I put 49,000 on my 2001 before I went to the new style cam plate and changed the cam bearings, both the shoes and the bearings were ok at the time
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
In addition to confirm your buyers false doubts about the early 88" engines,
I am on a 2000 FXST with an 88'' that has over 126,000 Kms on it before tear down, the Timken on the crank is like the day it was put in as are the inner cam bearings they are unmarked as well even though they are the caged style which was used back then.

The Con Rods are still well within specs & measure .014 side play with no lateral movement up or down. The service limit states .020 & I have checked twin cam cranks with 15,000 on them & they read the same .014. The wrist pin bushings are still within specs too.
The failure I experienced was with the chain tensioners, the shoes didnt last past 127,000 kms thus the teardown.

So the moral of the story is change your oil every 5,000 miles along with a primed filter religiously & the rest wil take care of itself providing ya haven't spent the last 11 years looking for a whiplash .... everyday

Dare

2000 FXST
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

pigrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with HH here, if they were truley warned about buying anything previous to a 2008 model why did they come to look in the first place. I've got a 04 Heritage that I've put 50,000 trouble free miles on, I check the cam chain shoes because of the reported issues but so far mine have been fine. I'm of the belief that if you maintain you're ride properly and ride it like you have a little sence it will give you many enjoyable miles.
pigrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCarlson View Post
I had the caged inner cam bearings in my '01 Wide Glide. Aren't they the questionable ones? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to pass on poor advice.

Thanks, Dave
When the TC came out in 99, they had ball bearings in the cam plate. This cause failures, because the ball could not handle the side load of the chain. Mid production 2000 they went to roller bearings in the rear cam.

If you put gear drive in, then you go back to ball.

Often people upgrades these to Torrgintons, if they have the cam chest open. Is it needed, dunno, but they are fairly cheap.

There was a few failures of the 99s, and talks of class action lawsuits, but I don't think anything really happened. Crap in your hat, and pull the flaps down.

If I had 99/00 I would replace bearings. 2001 and later, I would go to Torrington, if doing cam swap or had the chest open, or high miles on it, ect.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 12-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

se2deuce wants to know Dino or Syn?
thanks for your replys i didnt think there was any problems i told the guy when he told me that, that his buddy was a moron . i told him i would check on the forum to see if anybody else heard that but i was sure he didnt know what he was talking about . i know lots of people with twincams that really pound on their bike and i know they havent had any problems with theirs. i also have another 04 se2deuce that i'm not selling that i put a headquarters kit in with 105 hp and have had no problems at all with it
se2deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Gem99Ultra wants to know Dino or Syn?
We have two '99 FLHTCU's. One still has the original cam bearings with >50K miles; never a hint of a problem. On the other one, I changed cams @ 70K along with the bearings; not because of a problem, but for the want of a different cam.

Now, H-D did furnish an extended warranty of 50K miles on the '99-2000's. They claim to have actually seen about 1% fail. Expensive fix if that happens, but switching to Torringtons is cheap, cheap, cheap. Again - ours did not fail, nor did I ever actually see one that did. That problem is kinda like the GoldWing frame's breaking... lots of talk but a very rare occasion.

Never heard of a crank bearing problem, period. The buyer is misinformed.
Gem99Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Not saying I would be scared, but there is a reason why Harley switched bearing midyear in 2000. Its not like Harley is known for swift response and upgrades.

If I owned one, I would change out the bearing. Its not terribelly expensive.
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement