Cam chain tensioner upgrade : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

glcebo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Cam chain tensioner upgrade

About ready to do the upgrade, on the HD SE page they list an -08 and a -11 version of the kit, does anybody know the difference. Also where is the best place to get the Torrington bearings? Thanks
glcebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Screamin' Eagle Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Plate Upgrade Kit from Harley-Davidson. This kit updates the cam chain tensioner of your early-model Twin Cam engine to the latest design, as featured on the Twin Cam 96ci engine. The billet cam support plate has been designed to allow the installation of the late-model hydraulic cam chain tensioners to early Twin Cam-equipped models with the use of your existing cams, and is pre-assembled with crankshaft bushing and an oil pressure relief valve. The hydraulic cam chain tensioners will significantly outlast the spring-loaded tensioners, and are an ideal addition to an engine modified for improved performance. In addition, if needed the '02-06 models feature the late model single row front cam chain and sprockets ('99-01 models use the existing front silent chain). The kit includes the improved late-model oil pump that increases flow by 8 percent and scavenging by 22 percent for better cooling. This improves the stock oiling system to increase oil flow to piston oil jets, cam chain tensioners, pinion shaft bearings and connecting rod bearings

Read more: http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0906_...#ixzz1cvuHELl6

this allows you to use the old style of cams and I think this is what you want
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

DaveCarlson wants to know Dino or Syn?
A local indy showed me the SE catalog. He noted the oil scavenging and pressure differences in the included oil pump. The -11 kit had better numbers than the -08. Can't remember exactly what they were, but I remember that they were significant.

Dave
DaveCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
I'm Paid Up...

DR_DEUCE wants to know Dino or Syn?
You can get the bearings from GEORGES GARAGE They are about $15/ pair. These are the B_148, full compliment. There is NO cage inside, so there are more roller bearings inside than the HD version. You can also get the tools to do this job there as well.
Thats what I did.
DR_DEUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

This might be useful too.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sehydcamplate.pdf (1.14 MB, 1056 views)

Last edited by DaveCarlson; 11-06-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

kevinc wants to know Dino or Syn?
upgrade kit

Thanks Dave this info is useful. I just bought an 05 Electra Glide Classic with 40K miles and will be getting this upgrade done.

Regards, Kevin
kevinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

rel3rd wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCarlson View Post
A local indy showed me the SE catalog. He noted the oil scavenging and pressure differences in the included oil pump. The -11 kit had better numbers than the -08. Can't remember exactly what they were, but I remember that they were significant.

Dave
I think the differences are more than double. Like 8% pressure/22% scavenging on the -08 part number and 50%/25% on the -11 part number respectively..

I did the conversion on mine a few months ago and really lucked out. I "Googled" the -08 part number and the first link that was listed was a dealership who had it on sale for $300.95 with free shipping. Don't know if it was a mistake on their part, but after I ordered mine, the website price was changed to $429.95 and out of stock....If that wasn't good enough, they also sent me the gold colored cam plate (as shown in the -11 kit). No idea if the pump is different between the two, or the pumping differences are in the plate, but my oil issues were solved and I got a great deal on the parts.

R.I.P. MOM ~ 12.16.2011
rel3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
" just love to ride "

lowrider01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm thinking about doing this upgrade ..I have a 01 95 carbed ..it has se 203 cams ..can I use the 11 part # and use my cams ..?I also have the baisley spring ..with the oil pressure that's stated I wouldn't use it ..?
lowrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider01 View Post
I'm thinking about doing this upgrade ..I have a 01 95 carbed ..it has se 203 cams ..can I use the 11 part # and use my cams ..?I also have the baisley spring ..with the oil pressure that's stated I wouldn't use it ..?
Yes you can use your cams and you most likely will not need the baisley spring. Can't see as how it would cause problem if you wanted to change it though.
You might to change out the cam bearings as long as you're in there.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

GotFour wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm gonna bet there's lots of folks including myself that wish the MC had come out with this upgrade years ago. I installed Andrews cams with the bearing upgrade in my '01 Softail right from the jump. At 25m miles I had the tensioner shoes replaced .......just because, they really didn't show that much wear to be honest. Since then my annual mileage has been that of an occasional rider.......I know, shame, shame, but at this point I really don't see a need to do this upgrade or change to gears.

Last edited by GotFour; 11-14-2011 at 08:46 AM.
GotFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

JuiceMan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Could you all give the complete part #? Give it with the -08 or -11, I don't care, but damn! For some reason, (I am a computer moron?) I CANNOT get Google, or any other search engine to come up with a part # so I can get a price. I've tried to get J & P to give me a price, but I am having a real difficult time getting the right part to come up.

I am frustrated, so excuse me, but any help would be so greatly appreciated...........

By The Way, I just bought my first Harley. I got an '04 Ultra Classic and I am very excited! I immediately came to join this forum and began reading more about the TC88 engine that is powering my bike.
I read about the Tensioners and it caused me some concern. I have pulled the cam cover and my tensioners are about to bite the dust. I am pleased if the tensioners haven't been serviced because they still have a couple thousand miles on them if I am lucky......................

Which is why I plan to replace them immediatley. BUT, if I can do a little upgrading to Hydraulic Tensioners, that would be great. I need a cost. So if anyone can help me figure out a way to get a price on the SE kit, I would be thankful.....

Be Blessed and keep the shiney side up!

Thanks in Advance......
JuiceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceMan View Post
Could you all give the complete part #? Give it with the -08 or -11, I don't care, but damn! For some reason, (I am a computer moron?) I CANNOT get Google, or any other search engine to come up with a part # so I can get a price. I've tried to get J & P to give me a price, but I am having a real difficult time getting the right part to come up.

I am frustrated, so excuse me, but any help would be so greatly appreciated...........

By The Way, I just bought my first Harley. I got an '04 Ultra Classic and I am very excited! I immediately came to join this forum and began reading more about the TC88 engine that is powering my bike.
I read about the Tensioners and it caused me some concern. I have pulled the cam cover and my tensioners are about to bite the dust. I am pleased if the tensioners haven't been serviced because they still have a couple thousand miles on them if I am lucky......................

Which is why I plan to replace them immediatley. BUT, if I can do a little upgrading to Hydraulic Tensioners, that would be great. I need a cost. So if anyone can help me figure out a way to get a price on the SE kit, I would be thankful.....

Be Blessed and keep the shiney side up!

Thanks in Advance......
25284-11 HYBRID CAM PLATE AND HIGH VOLUME OIL PUMP KIT, 25285-08 spacer kit, 17045-99D cam service kit, 25533-99A gear retainer kit.

Order parts from www.lshd1.com

Last edited by webco2; 11-16-2012 at 03:00 AM.
webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

hugie03flhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Personally I plan on just replacing the worn chain tensioners with new ones. I've heard hyd tensioners fail also but in both cases HD said from the beginning these tensioners are wear items that must be checked.
My view is my chains have 12,000 miles and are now nice and polished along with good oil ( not getting into that) the second pair of tensioners should last even longer. There's another tensioner on the market that I've heard has better wearable material. I'll be checking into that to see if its true but I can't seem to justify spending $4-5-6-700.00 or more if you pay someone to do it for you? IMHO
hugie03flhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

01Softail wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am in the process of rebuilding the cam chest on my 01 FXST now and found that Andrews Cams had a kit to do this. My local dealer tried to order it for me but Andrews told them they no longer put the kit together, it was mainly HD parts with the exception of the rear cam drive sprocket that they still supply. If you go to their web site you can still find a list of the HD part #'s that were in the kit.
01Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Not an upgrade. The rear chain remains the problem. Andrews and wood kit fixes da problem.
Advertisement