Can EFI idle speed be adjusted? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Gump 159 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Can EFI idle speed be adjusted?

I was pulling out from a stop the other day, slipped the clutch and holding the front brake a bit (cuz the DB in front of me couldn't decide to turn or go straight) when I noticed I really liked the tone of my pipes. More of a deep rumble than the usual thump thumpa. My idle speed was down to about 900/920 RPMs from the factory 1050 or so. My question is...Can the idle speed be adjusted down on an EFI? and if so how?

I might as well give it a shot if it can be done, 17 degrees and icy roads in Dallas all week will give me some garage time...thanks in advance for the response.
Gump 159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

NJ Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
To save yourself lots of aggrivation, don't do it.
NJ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
Agree. It can be done, but is it really worth it? You need a certain RPM for charging and oil circulation. Plus on some 07s, maybe later, they were bumping it up cause of stalling issues.

950 probably wouldn't hurt you, but is it really worth it?
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

prodrag1320 wants to know Dino or Syn?
MM EFI has a small torx screw and can be adjusted just like a carb,delphi needs a scanalizer
prodrag1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

LE PEW wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump 159 View Post
I was pulling out from a stop the other day, slipped the clutch and holding the front brake a bit (cuz the DB in front of me couldn't decide to turn or go straight) when I noticed I really liked the tone of my pipes. More of a deep rumble than the usual thump thumpa. My idle speed was down to about 900/920 RPMs from the factory 1050 or so.
I'm guessing that the tone of your pipes sounded different to you because you were putting a little load on the engine by slipping the clutch?
That would make it sound deeper .... as opposed to just lowering the idle speed. Just sayin' ........

http://www.v-twinforum.com/gallery/data/500/thumbs/scan.jpg
LE PEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Tbones wants to know Dino or Syn?
Not recommended to lower your idle to the level you want... The EFI systems needs a minimum voltage to operate correctly and if you lug the motor with to slow of idle, you won't have proper oiling and it is hard on your bottomend bearings... TC motors need to idle at 1100 rpms...

Last edited by Tbones; 02-04-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Tbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

HKSkully wants to know Dino or Syn?
Idle

Some of the twin cam's oiling circuits are so narrow, they need a high flow rate as an aid in keeping them cleaned out. It is recommended to use caution for this reason as well, when making idle adjustments lower than recommended minimum specs.
HKSkully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Gump 159 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for all of the answers...

I knew if I asked the smartest forum on the web, I would get good answers. I guess I had best leave well enough alone. Besides, how much time do you really spend at an idle??? Thanks again guys...
Gump 159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jahbidibu!

cgspoon wants to know Dino or Syn?
Idle speed adjusting.

I run a Thundermax on my 06 Streetglide. I have been having stalling issues on start up. My idle was set at 976 rpm. Factory manual says 950-1050rpm. I bumped it up to 1008 and still had some coughing and spitting and then it would stall. I raised it to 1024rpm and that seems to be pretty good. I am trying everything I can to keep the heat down and not waste fuel. Anyone have any good ideas it would be appreciated.
Later
S&S Powertune Duals w/Screaming Eagle w/Big City Thunder QQ's
Retired Coast Guard/US. Army vet
cgspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

blkfalc4 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgspoon View Post
I run a Thundermax on my 06 Streetglide. I have been having stalling issues on start up. My idle was set at 976 rpm. Factory manual says 950-1050rpm. I bumped it up to 1008 and still had some coughing and spitting and then it would stall. I raised it to 1024rpm and that seems to be pretty good. I am trying everything I can to keep the heat down and not waste fuel. Anyone have any good ideas it would be appreciated.
Later
Find someone who can properly tune that mutha.
Fullsac 'X' pipe and recore muffs
TTS
'013' BMW K1600GTL
blkfalc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
FNG :)

sportster09 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump 159 View Post
I was pulling out from a stop the other day, slipped the clutch and holding the front brake a bit (cuz the DB in front of me couldn't decide to turn or go straight) when I noticed I really liked the tone of my pipes. More of a deep rumble than the usual thump thumpa. My idle speed was down to about 900/920 RPMs from the factory 1050 or so. My question is...Can the idle speed be adjusted down on an EFI? and if so how?
You will need a SERT (Screamin Eagle Race/Super Tuner) to tune the idle RPM. From the SE training video, many examples from the SE team showing idle RPMs set at 900 (at normal temperature 180 and up). I tuned my bike to 800 RPM and it sounds awesome (SE exhaust) with crisp deep exhaust notes. If at low RPM, your bike produces uneven sound levels, your AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) is either too rich or too lean for idle. You cannot just simply lower the RPM, you will need to tune the idle RPM. I spoke to a mechanic at Harley, he said he hasn't seen any official document regarding engine harm at lower RPMs. In fact, by design, the ECM lowers the RPM at higher temperature at idle to help reduce the engine heat. Also, for a bike with EFI, there is a low oil pressure warning light that warns you on low oil pressure. Typically, at idle oil pressure is 7psi to 12psi. Oil pressure lower than 5psi will trigger the warning light. At 800RPM, oil pressure is around 9psi. So as long as you don't get your warning light on, your RPM is good. I have been at many Harley events. About 20% of Harley bikers tune their bikes for performance and sound (more difficult and the fun of a Harley ownership), about 50% tune their bikes only for performance (easier) and the remain 30% ride their bikes as is, any upgrade is for the look only (this is not tuning). Below is a section about Idle RPM tuning from official Harley Davidson SE manual (version 2011). The idle RPM can be set to the lowest value (the SE Super Tuner allows 800 RPM as the lowest value for EFI, you cannot set lower) or as slow as the engine is not dying. Below is the "Idle RPM" section from the manual:

Idle RPM
Use this Tuning Table to set idle RPM to desired setting and to correct idle-related problems.
• If engine idle speed seems too low or engine occasionally dies, increase Idle RPM cells in appropriate engine temperature to correct.
• If engine idle speed seems too high, decrease Idle RPM cells in appropriate engine temperature to correct.

Last edited by sportster09; 04-07-2011 at 11:44 PM.
sportster09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement