Engine Just Cuts Off : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Bigkahuna327 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Engine Just Cuts Off

I'm having a problem and need some help. My 02 EFI Fatboy has picked up a nasty habit over the holiday weekend and wanted to know if anyone had experienced the same problem and could point me in the right direction.

While driving down the road, the engine just seems to loose all power. It's done this about 4-5 times at different RPM bands while riding. It almost seems that the electrical power is being cut or shutting off to the ignition. After coasting for a few seconds, the bike comes back alive and we take off with no problems. It has also done this pulling off from a slow roll as well.

I've never really had any previous electrical problems but wanted to know if anyone had experienced it before and where to start looking? I'm going to focus in on the electrical connections, but it could also be the coils, wires, electrical switches, fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, etc.... Any known area to start looking?

Also it the engine light came on, is there a way to flash a code without having to go the dealership and start the parts swapping?
Bigkahuna327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 06:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

HKSkully wants to know Dino or Syn?
Could be so many things, I'd hate to just start buying components for swapping out.

Do the lights kill out also? That would point to different area to start.

I'd check the obvious connections (the ones that would be serious enough to cause the engine stall). If I didn't find anything, I'd replace the system relay (just for grins), it's cheap enough at 6 to 8 bucks. It may be dropping out and shutting down power to coil, injectors and F/P (I've seen it before).

Good luck on finding it. It does sound like a poor connection could be the culprit though.

I keep a couple of the Daytona Twin Tech Scanner units in the shop to use as flight data recorders to aid in finding problems like you are experiencing.
HKSkully is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 06:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Bon temps rouler!

mfalba wants to know Dino or Syn?
Try this link for checking your codes. I believe all the codes are the same for all of the TC 88 Delphi EFI bikes.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/tw...uble-code.html

2002 FLHPI: SE Cast 95" Flat tops, Heads by Bean, Stock TB Bored by Hillside, Andrews TW21, Supertrapp SuperMeg 20 disks w/endcap, Jagg Oil Cooler, Glide Pro Stabilizing System, Seat by Mean City, Windshield by Cee-Bailey.

2006 FLSTCI: SE Cast 95" 10.25:1, Super Stock Heads by Dan Baisley, 50mm SE TB, Woods TW6G, D&D Fat Cat with QB, Jagg Oil Cooler, Seat by Mean City, Windshield by Cee-Bailey
mfalba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 07:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Zwiehund wants to know Dino or Syn?
Like skully said, plus I think that around your year group there was a problem with some of the main switches where they would get warm and cut out after they got old. Connections are the 1st place to start though. Look at em close, corrosion will kill a tight connection and sometimes it is almost invisible.
Zwiehund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
2005 Road King Classic

wkohn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Go to every electrical connection. Clean it (they have contact spray cleaners) and put dielectric grease on it and then snap it back together. Also make sure that your battery post or a wire from it is not making a connection to the frame.

Another thing is to make sure that your battery post connects are tight.

Maybe the first thing to do is check the volts on the battery with a meter. Should be around 12.5 to 12.7 volts.

Even if the battery is bad. Still do the dielectric grease.

lighter is faster - Colin Chapman (founder of Lotus)
Remember that cars and motorcycles are not the only things recalled by their maker. - some wise person
wkohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

bagga wants to know Dino or Syn?
your circuit breakers could be going south. i would start by replacing the main breaker. they're the cheapest place to start.
bagga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Danglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
as has been said,I'd check battery connections first,be sure they are tight.you could also have a shorted battery,they will occasionally have an intermittent short.If you are losing all electrical power,that'd be the first place to look.

2002 Superglide
2012 Road glide Ultra T-header,T-max,Tuned Induction
Danglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

I checked all of the connections and everything looks really good with them. Everything was tight and had grease on them from the last long trip prep that I did on my bike.

However I've picked up a new symptom today at lunch that may point to a different area.

In the past, once the switch was on, the fuel pump would start to pump/prime before starting the bike, now there is no noise at all. But the bike still starts up. A buddy that was following me out of the parking lot said it smelt like I was running rich, but cleared up after a few moments. I've rode the bike around town and through the neighborhood a few times, stopping and starting the engine, and I currently am not getting any sound from the pump, but bike still starts.

Would this point to a relay in the fuel system or somewhere else? I had the fuel pump replaces about 1 year ago due to another problem but have had no problems with it since.

Just looking for some ideas before I start replacing a lot of little electrical parts.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Bon temps rouler!

mfalba wants to know Dino or Syn?
Had a similar problem with my bike a few months back and it turned out to be the ignition switch. Finally the bike just cut out one last time and would not start again. I pulled the console and the plastic plug that connected to the ignition switch was melted.

I replaced the ignition switch (ordered one to fit my key) and I was fine.

2002 FLHPI: SE Cast 95" Flat tops, Heads by Bean, Stock TB Bored by Hillside, Andrews TW21, Supertrapp SuperMeg 20 disks w/endcap, Jagg Oil Cooler, Glide Pro Stabilizing System, Seat by Mean City, Windshield by Cee-Bailey.

2006 FLSTCI: SE Cast 95" 10.25:1, Super Stock Heads by Dan Baisley, 50mm SE TB, Woods TW6G, D&D Fat Cat with QB, Jagg Oil Cooler, Seat by Mean City, Windshield by Cee-Bailey
mfalba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Already had that problem back around 2 years ago. Smoked the switch, and literally fused the contacts together. Smoke was coming from the console and I was lucky to get it home in one piece. Switch was hot as hell!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Sales Weasel

miker84 wants to know Dino or Syn?
the middle post on my switch was corroded and my 03 did the same thing. I cleaned it and its worked fine since

2003 FXSTi
98hp, 105TQ
95" Bored Cylinders
BigBoyz Heads (Street Port, CC'd, Milled)
SE Flat-Tops
Andrews 37G Cams
Zippers SE Air Cleaner
PCIII
Rivera Pro Clutch (Silver)
LeatherPros Bags
Mustang Touring Seat
HD Quick Attach Windshield
FatBoy Rear Fender
M880 160 Rear, 120 Front
Thunderstar Wheels
miker84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 12:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Locodave wants to know Dino or Syn?
Guessing here. Do the F/I bikes have a fuel filter? Sounds like it's starving for fuel. Idle ok? Off idle not? Hard start? Guesing also, if a lean code. Fuel supply prob? Dave
Old 07-09-2010, 04:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
The Anti-RUB

petrock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigkahuna327 View Post
Would this point to a relay in the fuel system or somewhere else?
I'd start with the easy stuff. As others have mentioned, check the switch and see if it is damaged. If it is, replace it. If it looks fine, I'd next run a battery test. Make sure it is fully charged and checks out OK with a multimeter. If you don't have a multimeter handy, you can attach the bikes battery to a car battery with jumper cables (but do not turn the car on). Then turn the bikes ignition switch on but don't start the bike. If the fuel pump primes, then the battery should either be charged or replaced. If not, then its not a battery problem.

Good luck...
Python Staggered Exhaust w/ Quiet Baffles
HD Primary Chain Auto-Tensioner
SE Hydraulic Cam Plate & High-Flow oil pump
SERT

Wish List (in order of "Gotta Have It"-ness):
14" Ape/Gimp Hangers (have, but needs install)
Black Braided Throttle/Fuel/Brake/Clutch lines
Black Powdercoated Fork Sliders and Triple Trees
My Two Front Teeph
petrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

grandpa Tom wants to know Dino or Syn?
MY 07 did the same thing last yr,,, and right after a Service at DEaler..

ended up being loose battery Bolts.... tightened them up and no more missing or dying after that....
Andrews 26h cams
grandpa Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Sturge wants to know Dino or Syn?
Had a similar problem that VTF helped me out with - here's link:

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/tw...138-uh-oh.html
Andrews 37 cam
SE camplate/HO oil pump/tensioner upgrade
Dan Vance Ported TB (48mm)
SE II Slip-on's
Built by me with help from VTF
Sturge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.