SE Chain Drive or Gear Drive Cam? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Corpsman wants to know Dino or Syn?
SE Chain Drive or Gear Drive Cam?

Screamin' EagleŽ Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Plate Upgrade Kit MSRP $429.95

S&S Cycle 585 Gear Drive Easy Start Cams Complete Kit $795.99

Can we discuss the pros and cons of going either of these two routes?
Corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2010, 02:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ride Free

BoomerBob wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hey Doc! Have you looked into the Andrew roller chain conversion kit. It uses two roller chains vs the SE/HD silent chain/roller chain combo. No worries about runout but you should obviously check it anyway.

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/motor...nstall_Kit.htm
BoomerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
the woods conversion will have you getting big wheelies on that 95 in dyna.
woodcarbs.com
Old 06-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerBob View Post
Hey Doc! Have you looked into the Andrew roller chain conversion kit. It uses two roller chains vs the SE/HD silent chain/roller chain combo. No worries about runout but you should obviously check it anyway.

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/motor...nstall_Kit.htm
Oh great... I was having enough trouble trying to decide between the SE and a gear drive. Now I have to consider the Andrews. Does the Andrews conversion come with high performance cams? How does this compare to a 585 cam or any other number of cams? I don't want to have to worry about compression releases.

Installed: SE Heavy Breather, FuelMoto Tuner, Ricor Intiminator, Ricor 12.5 shocks, D&D Fat Cat, Willie G. Skull stuff

2003 FLHTCUI
95" Big Bore w/ S&S 510 Cams
Screaming Eagle Slipons
Stage 2
Old 06-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Johnny Ray wants to know Dino or Syn?
I went with H-D Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Upgrade Kit 25284-08 and the S&S Cycle 00-06 Twin Cam EXC 06 Dyna 510C Chain Drive Cams and am really pleased with the results.

The more I read about gear drives the more I leaned towards the selection that I went with.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

hdrider82 wants to know Dino or Syn?
"The more I read about gear drives the more I leaned towards the selection that I went with."

Johnny I am glad you like your cams. I did a 95" build last winter. Part of that was a set of Andrews 510g's. They went in without a problem and run great. You do have to watch out for TIR!!!!!!! I had .0015 on my crank. Works for me. The hole kit cost $600.00 with shipping. I never have to think about tensioners again. That's a good thing. ;-)
Stuff
More stuff
hdrider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

107cihog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsman View Post
Easy Start Cams
I would stay away from them unless you want to be a gennie pig have not heard of any good builders using them.
107cihog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

So do I need to start a new thread asking for opinions on what cam to get?

Installed: SE Heavy Breather, FuelMoto Tuner, Ricor Intiminator, Ricor 12.5 shocks, D&D Fat Cat, Willie G. Skull stuff

2003 FLHTCUI
95" Big Bore w/ S&S 510 Cams
Screaming Eagle Slipons
Stage 2
Old 06-13-2010, 05:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I went gears years ago. These days, I would go with a good conversion. Andrews is a known manufacturer of quality components, ditto S&S.

Another solid option in that direction is the Herko kit. Check out "Flying W "Performance" and / or Herko. Good guy. Good rep. Lots of happy customers.
S&S stuff.
Baisley Pro Street heads
+ Level 2 Mojo.
Badass pipe.
Torq Monster Motorworks
spec'd & built, extra "Special Sauce."
142HP - 148TQ SAE / 145/151 STD. More there.
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.

Last edited by FXDRYDR; 06-13-2010 at 06:19 AM.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
FNG :)

rdrnr63 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool My two pennnies

I haven't posted anything on this site in a long time, but feel compelled to write a little something at least regarding chain drive vs gear drive cams. My intention is not to offend anyone here, and obviously everyone is entitled to their opinions. Regardless of the type of tensioner used (spring, hydraulic, etc), staying with a chain drive setup almost always eventually results in some form of premature wear. Roller chains would probably have a longer lifespan. The material used for the stock spring loaded tensioners that Harley used on the TC88's between 2002-2006 was terrible. I know quite a few people that have had problems with those tensioners wearing out too early (some in as little as 20k miles or less) while others may get 30k-40k miles out of them. I had a personal friend....who purely by a miracle I believe, didn't trash his motor on a softail standard when we found that the tensioners were all but completely worn thru and almost split in two when he decided to go with a gear drive setup. His bike had 35k miles on it at the time.

I have been running some form of a gear drive cams for years in my '04 Roadking, and they are by far the best design choice out there....regardless of who you go with. Cam bearings last longer, and the cams are MUCH easier to turn making less work for the motor....ie...free horsepower. You can go as high as a 585 Easy Start from S&S without having to use compression releases. I have those in my motor, which is now a custom built 106 Cu Inch Stroker, with mostly S&S internal components, Fueling oil pump, cam plate and lifters, S&S Roller Rockers, Zipper's Throttle Body and intake with Zipper's Stage 3 heads, Vance & Hines 2 into 1, and a Thundermax ECM. This setup is phenominal with huge power gains, and finally, my bike feels like it has the power it was supposed to have from the beginning.

I'm all about saving money, don't get me wrong, but when it comes to my Harley, I would rather invest in good quality parts, knowing that I'll get years of use out of them. It's like everything else out there, you get what you pay for. There is tons of info out there on this subject, so research it a little, and I believe you'll probably come to very similar conclusions, and to those who are still skeptical, I have another friend who's motor just got lunched....34k miles on it..and the tensioners went out while riding. That's going to be a little more expensive to fix now.
rdrnr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Krayven Sumhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
I can sit next to both my pals geared TC 88's at stop lights and hear their gears whining and meshing over my 2-1 D&D Fat Cats.
Krayven Sumhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Coolmaker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayven Sumhead View Post
I can sit next to both my pals geared TC 88's at stop lights and hear their gears whining and meshing over my 2-1 D&D Fat Cats.
[/I]

If so then they were not properly installed. I have put several sets in and they are all quiet.... Absolutely no noise....
Old 03-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

FX-Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
MY S&S 570 gear drive set-up is real quiet.. best thing i ever did for that bike ..
FX-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I have the hd kit, no complaints
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Firetender wants to know Dino or Syn?
Which is the better choice? HD would have gear driven cams on all models if they would pass EPA noise restrictions for licensed manufacturing. They don't so chain-driven systems are in place instead. Which is the better choice?
SuperTrapp SuperMegs 2-into-1 - PCIII-usb
Tuning by Lee's Cycle of San Diego
Firetender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement