Photo: Cam chain tensioner shoes : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

glidemonkey wants to know where he is and how he got here
Photo: Cam chain tensioner shoes

This is at 67,000 miles. '05 Ultra 95".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tensioners1.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	55921   Click image for larger version

Name:	tensioners2.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	55922  
glidemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Black Magic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Nice! I hope mine are looking that good at 28K, don't have the financial bandwidth to do the switch yet, need mine to last until next summer..

Thanks for the show and tell, I feel a little better as my mindset is I have a ticking time bomb..

Cheers!
Old 10-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
EvilMonger

Thealien is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Mine at 64,000 on a 2000 FLTRSEI

Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Gunxddslinger wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mine were in litlte orange peisces at 17K......mileage varies greatly. Don't let those pictures lull you into a false sense of security....

Those are in cood condition though....
Gunxddslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

hbmc wants to know Dino or Syn?
so I was at the dealer picking up a part--- walked over to the showroom and asked the sales guy few questions about differences and what not. Came across the subject of T.C and I says: "So I hear that the cam bearing and the whole T.C thing has been quite the challenge for HD moco---?" The sales man says " Hmmm---not heard about that?" I asked him if he checks out any of these forums he said Naw---ha---ha---ha.
I say Ha--Ha--Ha get educated before you plunk down.
Back to subject----
I guess the timing chain needs to addressed like a Ferrari it sounds to me. Every 6000 miles new chains and tensions. I don't know if I will get a T.C for that reason. Maybe one of you guys can enlighten me on the benefits of a T.C over the maintenance. Same thing on the Metric design(s)?

I may have been there and done that?

1991 flstf 'fat-boy
branch worked heads shaved .30
used titanium keepers on the heads too.

Crane Cam hydrolic adj p-rods 512 lift 322 duration

Mikuni smooth bore 4omm jetted/ float bowl ported out for heavy flow

2-1 White "E-pipe"

29 tooth Andrews pully
hbmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Krayven Sumhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbmc View Post
so I was at the dealer picking up a part--- walked over to the showroom and asked the sales guy few questions about differences and what not. Came across the subject of T.C and I says: "So I hear that the cam bearing and the whole T.C thing has been quite the challenge for HD moco---?" The sales man says " Hmmm---not heard about that?" I asked him if he checks out any of these forums he said Naw---ha---ha---ha.
I say Ha--Ha--Ha get educated before you plunk down.
Back to subject----
I guess the timing chain needs to addressed like a Ferrari it sounds to me. Every 6000 miles new chains and tensions. I don't know if I will get a T.C for that reason. Maybe one of you guys can enlighten me on the benefits of a T.C over the maintenance. Same thing on the Metric design(s)?
Every person I've ever had contact with at a HD Boutique sez they don't frequent on-line forums. None had heard of the V-Twin Forum. None realized the knowledge they could gain.
As for the cam tensioner shoes, my riding buddy went 85,000 miles on his 04 EGS before he even checked his shoes. Replaced with OE for less than $200 by an Indy.
I went 50,000 miles before checking mine.. They were halfway gone so I upgraded the system along with a few other items.
My TC 88 did have all the primary oil seals replaced at 30,000 miles ,tho. They certainly aren't bullet proof, but when it running good and warm outside, it's alot of fun.
Krayven Sumhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Anti-RUB

petrock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidemonkey View Post
This is at 67,000 miles. '05 Ultra 95".
Good pics, but I think you have a much bigger problem...... Your beer mug is empty.
Python Staggered Exhaust w/ Quiet Baffles
HD Primary Chain Auto-Tensioner
SE Hydraulic Cam Plate & High-Flow oil pump
SERT

Wish List (in order of "Gotta Have It"-ness):
14" Ape/Gimp Hangers (have, but needs install)
Black Braided Throttle/Fuel/Brake/Clutch lines
Black Powdercoated Fork Sliders and Triple Trees
My Two Front Teeph
petrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

kc5gxc wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am going to pull the cam cover to look at the shoes on the bike I just bought....2004 with 23 k. I have a new gasket ordered, primary tensioner assy and retaining ring...in case the primary tensioner is bad. Can I replace it without the tool, if so? Which tensioner is most prone to wear...or it it evenly between pri and secondary ?
Thanks, Pete
Old 10-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

mgb939 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lucky you! Had a '04 Ultra with a 95", tensioners were shot at 38k.

2009 FLHTCU A Black Ultra Classic
HD Tall Boy Seat
Ness Big Sucker A/C
V&H Slip-ons
V&H Fuel-Pak
Stage 1 HD Download
HD Oil Cooler
HD Oil Temp Gauge
Soos 1" floorboard ext.
mgb939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Arrogant Bastard

jasilva wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5gxc View Post
I am going to pull the cam cover to look at the shoes on the bike I just bought....2004 with 23 k. I have a new gasket ordered, primary tensioner assy and retaining ring...in case the primary tensioner is bad. Can I replace it without the tool, if so? Which tensioner is most prone to wear...or it it evenly between pri and secondary ?
Thanks, Pete
Usually the rear(secondary tensioner) wears faster. I think the bikes that see lots of short trips wear the tensioners faster. My theory is that short trip bikes get the engine warm and then are shut down with no oil cooling the tensioners, they get hot and slightly press into the chain then on start up a small amount of the pad surface is ripped away. Not a lot probably almost microscopic, but repeated over many short trips it adds up to a lot of wear. The long haul bikes see many fewer starts so they last much longer. The rear tensioner is closer to the cylinders so they heat up and press themselves into the chain more often and in increased amounts. I believe this is why Harley changed to the hydraulic tensioners, on shut down the pressure is gone from the tensioners so the pads do melt themselves into the chain. I think if your an around town type rider you may be well advised to change to gears or the hydraulic tensioner/roller chain set ups.
Isaiah 6:1-9
jasilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I got the cover pulled and took a look. Outside one is worn more to the outside of the pad, and the step at the edge of the pad to the wear is maybe 1/32". Inside of outside pad has almost no step. I think this one is ok for lots more running....but no expert.
Back tensioner pad was a real pain to see. Got it up and pinned, thanks to info on this forum. No slapping it down, either. I can see hardly any wear on it, but can't see the lower part of the pad, because my mirror (smallest one I could find in drugstore) was too large, but from the area I can see....it looks really good.
This is an '04 88B softail with 23k. Can someone experienced with these tensioners tell me what they think?
Thanks, Pete
Old 10-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
i think its winter, you have over 20,000 miles, and have the motor that far down, replace the tensioners now!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thanks, Claydbal
It was sure hot here today, tho...ha. I got the outside one ordered. Maybe look for a smaller mirror for a better check of the inside one. I hate to start ripping all that stuff out if the back one is good. Thanks for the thoughts.
Pete
Old 10-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

shovelmike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Gears

I went to S&S gears and Andrews 21G cams 9,000 mi. ago. I did it for reliability but it's well worth it for the power improvement alone.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Arrogant Bastard

jasilva wants to know Dino or Syn?
I went to the hydraulic tensioner set up with Andrews conversion cams. Reliable, quiet, better oil pressure and scavenging with the new style pump and no worries about whether I had to much run out for gears. Complete conversion is about 5 bills if you order the parts from Zanotti's or Chicago HD which is about the same as the gear conversion. Plus other than a bearing puller/installer you don't have to press in any parts on the camplate or cams.
Isaiah 6:1-9
jasilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement