Two oil drain plugs? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

2000FiveOh wants to know where he is and how he got here
Two oil drain plugs?

A friend of mine was changing his oil and asked me why there are two drain plugs for the oil. I looked in my manual but it didn't explain much. He said one looks like a drain plug and one was an allen head plug. He said he drained the oil via the pipe plug. Anyone know the purpose of two plugs to drain the oil? Does it matter which plug is used? Both are on the left side pointing forward about an inch and a half apart. I think he probably drained from the wrong plug (pipe plug). My question is does it matter? Any feedback on this?
2000 Road King, 96", K&N AC, Andrews 26G cams, Pre-EPA SE Slip Ons, 3:37 Primary gearing, EFI to carb, 105,000 and still rolling
2000FiveOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Flying low

DBotkin wants to know Dino or Syn?
The engine oil drain is a hex head bolt.

I don't have my service manual handy and haven't drained it recently, but I think the transmission oil drain is an Allen plug. Either that, or he found the sump drain. Might be useful to know what kind of bike your friend has.

Free, personalized travel maps at mytriplogs.com

DBotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

doc ock wants to know Dino or Syn?
I used the pipe plug for my oil temp gage. The oil drain plug is the the other bolt with a hex head and also magnetic. Don't think it matters on draining but the pipe plug was in the instructions when adding the oil temp gage.
doc ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Doc: Thanks, that's a good idea for a temp guage take off point.

I'm still curious though, why two points so close together that both drain the oil.

Maybe Doc is on to something. Is the 2nd plug for exactly that reason or is it just another casting point in the case similar to the other two casted in the front of the block?
2000 Road King, 96", K&N AC, Andrews 26G cams, Pre-EPA SE Slip Ons, 3:37 Primary gearing, EFI to carb, 105,000 and still rolling
Old 06-05-2009, 01:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBotkin View Post
The engine oil drain is a hex head bolt.

I don't have my service manual handy and haven't drained it recently, but I think the transmission oil drain is an Allen plug. Either that, or he found the sump drain. Might be useful to know what kind of bike your friend has.
What sump drain are you referring to? Can you explain what you mean by "sump drain"? Why would someone need a sump drain point which is located an inch from the oil drain plug? Wouldn't it,being that close, drain the same oil? If you can fully explain your meaning and the purpose of a "sump drain" we would appreciate it.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Texas Tom wants to know Dino or Syn?
The sump drain is a large allen in the case not oil pan,it is used to drain the case too check for a condition called sumping where oil is not circulating but winds up in the case,on a warm engine there should be very little oil in there but sometimes on a cold engine there can be quite a bit especially on softtails ,the oil tank is high and gravity takes over.sometimes on this board you will read where someone tried to change there oil and only a few ounces came out,yet oil was still full,guess where they were . The pipe plug you refer to on touring bikes is in the oil pan as is the drain,the drain has a allen and hex both ,pipe plug is allen only.Im at work so don`t have manual in front of me HD calls the pipe plug something else aux access or some crap like that anyway that is where I put the sensor for my oil temp gauge.If your friend used pipe plug to drain thats ok just put something on it so it don`t leak,it doesn`t have an o-ring..Tom..
Texas Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Sturge wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Tom View Post
The sump drain is a large allen in the case not oil pan,it is used to drain the case too check for a condition called sumping where oil is not circulating but winds up in the case,on a warm engine there should be very little oil in there but sometimes on a cold engine there can be quite a bit especially on softtails ,the oil tank is high and gravity takes over.sometimes on this board you will read where someone tried to change there oil and only a few ounces came out,yet oil was still full,guess where they were . The pipe plug you refer to on touring bikes is in the oil pan as is the drain,the drain has a allen and hex both ,pipe plug is allen only.Im at work so don`t have manual in front of me HD calls the pipe plug something else aux access or some crap like that anyway that is where I put the sensor for my oil temp gauge.If your friend used pipe plug to drain thats ok just put something on it so it don`t leak,it doesn`t have an o-ring..Tom..
On my FSXT, the one with the allen (which is the CORRECT one to use for oil changes on this bike) comes directly from the oil tank and is fed by an oil line that comes off the bottom of the tank. There is also a plug on the engine case which can be used to drain the sump if desired (I've never screwed with it). Tom did a fine job of explaining what happens if you use this plug versus the correct one when doing an oil change.

For your situation it sounds like it's a different model than mine. I would assume the correct drain plug is the one with the allen and that it is also fed directly from the oil pan versus the other plug which is just a hole in the sump.
Andrews 37 cam
SE camplate/HO oil pump/tensioner upgrade
Dan Vance Ported TB (48mm)
SE II Slip-on's (soon to be 2-1 ST SuperMeg?)
Built by me with help from VTF
Sturge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

I-like-my-rk wants to know Dino or Syn?
A picture tells a thousand stories but I find very few anywhere, even in the service manuals, thinks aren't always clear but pics would tell the story...
I-like-my-rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement