Andrews 54H cams. Opinions : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

harris48cars wants to know Dino or Syn?
Andrews 54H cams. Opinions

Anyone want to comment on this cam?
I am/was interested in this cam. My enthusiasm was lessened when I read this was a bad cam for true duals and a 6 seed tranny as the power comes on to late to take good advantage of 6th. Trying to remember this was written by some one I don't know, who might be every bit as dumb as me, I thought I would see if I could get some discussion of this cam started. I'm wanting to do a 103 upgrade on my 08 SG (warranty runs out soon). Like most Harleys my bike is a bit of dog after 70 MPH or there abouts. I want to keep 6th gear useful and I want to keep my good MPG. Just like to have 5th and 6th pull better. Opinions?
Gary
harris48cars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Faast Ed wants to know where he is and how he got here
Love it, love it, love it. Comes on way early with the two different pipes I have run with mine (Rush Slip-ons/stock Softail headpipes, then the Fatcat).

Also great results on my buddies bike who is running Fishtail tips on older Supertrap slip-ons/stock bagger headpipe.

I get 44+ mpg cruising 75-80, got 42 mpg last Saturday with some hard riding WOT runs.

Very quiet running well mannered cam.

As with any cam, make sure you get your squish right and get yourself a good tune from a reputable tuner.

Quote:
Just like to have 5th and 6th pull better
Every gear will pull better.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 05-26-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Faast Ed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

renegade69 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with Faast Ed. Bike pulls from down low. 90 mph comes up ast. Bike pulls in all gears.
83cc/cnc ported
S.E. Cam Plate, Andrews 54H Cams
50mm S.E. ThrottleBody
S.E. Supertrapp, ThunderMax A/T
K & N, S.E. Clutch Spring
renegade69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade69 View Post
I agree with Faast Ed. Bike pulls from down low. 90 mph comes up ast. Bike pulls in all gears.
Awesome cams, dyno'd an 07 bagger 10to1 street port heads Rhinehart true duals, torque was a tad later than a comparable one I did with stock headpipes and Rush slip-0n's but still a very nice torque curve, also did one with a 2 into 1 and am finishing up an 08 bagger 103 this week with V&H duals, nice quiet operation and never a detonation problem at 10 to 1 either.
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Anybody using this cam, 54H, consider a +4 timing sprocket for additional low end torque. If not is there any reason not to do it? Called Andrews but they were closed.
Gary
Old 06-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
harris , what is being said is the 54 is not a bad cam for true duals, true duals make the motor a little less spectacular if you lug around or dont run the bike like you should with TD's. but this is true of any cam. a 4* would help overcome what you lost to the pipes, but would also fall off sooner where the pipes want to shine. 4* on that cam spec may also put you into ping land. building a motor for big low end and true duals is kinda an oxymoron. overcome that with more $$$$ / more cubic inches. or better exhaust for what you want to accomplish.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 01:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

I thank you.
gary
Old 06-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

so you have 48 cars?
Old 06-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

That was true. Not any more. At one time I owned a dozen Buick Grand Nationals, my favorite. Birth date by coinsidence is 1948.
Gary
Old 06-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

rosascycle wants to know Dino or Syn?
TW-54H cam's are very good street cam's we had some customer complaints on Touring models ONLY!! about coming on late with T/D's and 6 speed. Many factors play in to this complaint valve size,T/B size, compression ratio,Pipes & baffle size,Riding style, etc. etc. After using 20 or more sets of Woods TW-5 cams in late model touring bikes in the past 90 days No complaints they come on sooner and seem to get to rpm quicker. Not many of my bagger customers REV past 5500 to 5800 rpm don't care what the cam can do past 6000 rpm also lots of stop and go traffic in our area most riders like the ability to make power at a low RPM I'm just saying take a look at the specs on Woods TW-5 most riders who have it say its a great cam choice
rosascycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Faast Ed wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosascycle View Post
TW-54H cam's are very good street cam's we had some customer complaints on Touring models ONLY!! about coming on late with T/D's and 6 speed. Many factors play in to this complaint valve size,T/B size, compression ratio,Pipes & baffle size,Riding style, etc. etc. After using 20 or more sets of Woods TW-5 cams in late model touring bikes in the past 90 days No complaints they come on sooner and seem to get to rpm quicker. Not many of my bagger customers REV past 5500 to 5800 rpm don't care what the cam can do past 6000 rpm also lots of stop and go traffic in our area most riders like the ability to make power at a low RPM I'm just saying take a look at the specs on Woods TW-5 most riders who have it say its a great cam choice

Got any dyno sheets to show us on those tw 5's?
Faast Ed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 01:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Went to your site rosascycle, not much info there. Is there another area I could go to to see what you have. Nothing listed under parts heading or performance packages other than some generic dyno graphs. In regards to the 54H, I talked to Andrews and they told me they design cams and for me not to pay much attention to forum speak. Does seem hard to believe a company as big and successful as Andrews would develop a cam specificly for the 96 and 103 engines that doesn't work. They say it begins making power at 2200 rpms. I ride there a lot. I also asked Andrews about the true duals with there 54H and they said it would work fine. I know you build engines and Andrews only makes a few parts but still they must know a little of what they speak.
Gary
Old 06-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

nhrafan43 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a set of the 54's and a 103 kit to do in the very near future, I did a lot of talking to people that have done these cams, looked at a lot of dyno sheets and took a look at what exactly I was looking for out of my build and came to the conclusion that these cams would work for me, they may not be right for everyone. You might also take a look at your riding style because if you spend a lot or tour riding time at 2200 rpm your not doing your motor any favors, you are lugging the crap out of it, drop a gear and twist the throttle. Keep us posted.

Nicky

...............2007FLHTCU
...............SE103
...............Andrews 54
...............D&D Fatcat
...............Big Sucker AC
...............TTS Tuner
nhrafan43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

good advice. run it around 3000 rpm and those duals will shine. so will the cams!

this is a perfect example of what i said. folks spend big money on TD's, then want to lug around and say "i want big tq way down low"
Old 06-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

Claydbal and Nharafan,If what you guys are saying is true, then 6th gear on my 08 becomes worthless as I would have to get to 85 MPH in 6th to achieve 3000 rpms. Also sounds like 5th would't work very well above 50 mph. Am I misunderstanding? Faast Ed, could you comment on this.
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.