Help Testing Crank Position Sensor : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

SVD999 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Help Testing Crank Position Sensor

Can Anyone Tell Me How To Test Crank Position Sensor On A 03 Twin Cam . I Have A Power Commander That When Hooked Up Only Runs On Front Cylinder, Runs Fine With Out It. Dynojet Seems To Think It Could Be Ckp Sensor. I Need The Service Limits And Proper Way To Check, Running ,or Just Cranking Or Any Other Specifics. I Believe It Is Checked In Ac Voltage
Thanks
SVD999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

cts1950 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The crank position sensor is a magnet with a coil of wire wrapped around it. Your problem would not come and go with adding the power commander or not. I would guess it is the power commander and the wireing to it.
cts1950 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Dynojet Says Because It Runs Tru Stock Ecm First Then To Power Commander If Ckp Sensor Is On Low Side Of The Working Range It Can Cause Problems
Old 08-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

cts1950 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The output will be ac at varying frequencies too high for most voms to read I suppose a oscilloscope would read it correctly. The sensor is not that expensive. I keep a spare in the tour pak
cts1950 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

RK05 wants to know Dino or Syn?
By any chance did you wash your bike before this happened? I had a similar problem and thought it was the sensor. Bought a new one and still had the problem. Turned out that the cable connection between the PC/factory harness got water in the plug. Once that was dryed out it was back to normal.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
sounds like another dead PC3. borrow a friends PC just to see if both cylinders run.

dynojet never gave me any static about returning for warranty.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 07:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Ender

Pikeslayer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK05 View Post
By any chance did you wash your bike before this happened? I had a similar problem and thought it was the sensor. Bought a new one and still had the problem. Turned out that the cable connection between the PC/factory harness got water in the plug. Once that was dryed out it was back to normal.
Same thing happened to me.
Hobanized Crank, Axtell 117" cylinders, CP flat tops, 10.6:1 CR, Woods TW8, R&R cast heads, R&R roller rockers, HPI 51mm T/B, 4.9 g/s SE injectors, D&D Fat Cat 2into1 QB, Rivera Pro Clutch, Evo Industries 49T, Tuned by Big Boyz
Pikeslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 09:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

No It Is A Used Pciii First Time I Tried It
Old 08-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
sounds like another dead PC3. borrow a friends PC just to see if both cylinders run.

dynojet never gave me any static about returning for warranty.
YEAH THATS MY THOUGHT, PCIII IS USED FIRST TIME I TRIED JUST TRYING TO COVER THE BASES BEFORE I GET ANOTHER ONE I COULD ALWAYS JUST TRY THE SENSOR IT WOULD NOT BE A BAD IDEA TO HAVE A BACK UP
THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.