Engine loses power when hot : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

R-RatedCustoms wants to know Dino or Syn?
Engine loses power when hot

Hey gang,

I am waiting for a part so I thought I would exchange wisdom on what is going on with my bike.

Let me begin with it is TC88 99 injected Police Electraglide. 62K miles. I have had it since 28K miles. SE stage 1 kit, Power Commander.

So I was riding home last week and about 25 miles into my 33 miles ride, the engine lost all power combustion wise. The gauges and lights worked fine.

As I coasted, I tried the start button and the engine cranked but nothing as far as running. So I thought the PC went bad. I worked and got it off. Hit the start button and rode home no problem. ( I know from experience that if the kill switch was the issue the engine would not even crank)

So since the SE Stage 1 air box was going to lead to a lean running mixture, I put the original air box back on.

The next morning my bike died with just 3 miles to go. Same thing as far as being able to crank and such. The only difference is that I only stopped long enough to make a call. It fired but would die when the clutch was pulled in and fired back up with some effort.

I get in the parking lot and call some fellow motorheads. Each leans the same direction independantly for the problem - the coil. It seems like it has become "heat intolerant".

So that evening, I fire the beast up and ride home dreading the inevitable. Sure enough the bike died within 40 yards of where it did the previous day!

So I opened the gas cap (hoping it is only vapor lock) and it cranks but does not fire.

I go ahead and just let it set for 12 minutes (I know this by my phone's timer chatting it up with a fellow rider). After the bike cools a little, it fired right up.

So on the way home, I know the engine is getting hotter. I pull the clutch, the engine dies, and I coast down the hills at 45 mph. When I get to the bottom, it fires backup.

When I got to the garage, it idled just fine.

So it sets to this day.

What do you all think? The coil will be here tomorrow (maybe), but in the meantime to curb my jonesing at not being able to ride - I thought I would see what the majority has to share. I did a few searches and apparently no one posts a follow up to what they got to work as far as this problem goes.
R-RatedCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008, 06:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Flying low

DBotkin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Easy to check the coil. When it dies, pull a plug wire and stick an insulated handle screwdriver in, hold the shaft about 1/8" or so from any metal surface (like a jug fin) and crank it. If the coil's good, you will get a healthy spark. If it's not, no spark.

If you do get a spark, things could get serious. If the coil is good, you would be looking at something that could take out both injectors at once. Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head... at 5:30 AM, before my coffee... would be the ECU. But it does sound an awful lot like a coil.

Bear in mind I'm not a mechanic, and I don't play one on TV -- only in my garage.

Free, personalized travel maps at mytriplogs.com

DBotkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

Black02Ultra wants to know Dino or Syn?
Have you checked the engine temp sensor?
Black02Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black02Ultra View Post
Have you checked the engine temp sensor?
I would think that the ECM would go to Hot Idle mode if this was going bad? Or at least a code?

Still waiting for the coil to arrive.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

03GLIDE_ wants to know Dino or Syn?
It sounds like a coil problem to me also. I have had a coil go bad and that is just how it acted.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

LoneEagle964 wants to know Dino or Syn?
if the coil does not fix it I would look at the crank position sensor they will do that also if going bad, or so I have been told .

LoneEagle
LoneEagle964 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Got the coil and put in. drum roll please.

Same f-ing thing, engine shuts off after approx 25 miles!

Let it cool and it fires back up and runs fine.

Maybe there is something to the engine temp sensor idea...any idea how to check it to be sure?

Last edited by R-RatedCustoms; 06-18-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

fx98stroker wants to know Dino or Syn?
engine power loss

Did you find the prolem yet?I am chasing the same thing around on my 04 fatboy.New crank position sensor,new coil,did the injector wiggle test on the injector wiring,took the new Tmax off and went back to the original ecm,rode down the interstate and took the gas cap loose,new plugs and wires,and new fuel filter.So far nothing has fazed it in the least.I also checked all of the ground connections and put on a new main circuit breaker.What did I miss?
screamin eagle A\C
4 3/8" stroker crank SE counterbalancers
Andrews 26G Cams
Crane lifters S.E. adjustable push rods
Big Boyz 83cc heads,.030 cometic head gaskets
S&S gear drive
feuling oil pump,feuling cam plate,baisley spring
de-baffled slip-ons
fx98stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2008, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Here is what I found so far. I started the bike while cold and it ran like normal, so I pulled the relay for the ECM and the bike went into that horrible coughing, farting, spitting and then not wanting to start - just exactly when hot.

I swapped the relay with the one for the brakes and also replaced the crank sensor.

I went for a 40 miles road test and it ran fine.

I know that the swapping the relay and replacing the crank sensor at the same time really makes it hard to figure out which was the problem.

Try the relay is my suggestion.

I am going to ride mine some more and post an update in a week.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
FNG :)

jdablue wants to know Dino or Syn?
engine loses power

my 2006 dyna with 3000 miles also loses power. It always starts back but the dealer is at a loss. So has the coil fixed your problem? The dealer still has the bike trying to figure out what the problem could be. This is the second time in the shop in a month and they can not fix the problem what recourse do I have.
jdablue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.