2001 Ultra, Cranks but wont start : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

Ultratrueblue wants to know Dino or Syn?
2001 Ultra, Cranks but wont start

I really need some help!! Riding along yesterday and running as well as always when all of the sudden it just died about a mile and a half from the house. Have full power to everything, cranks but wont start. When you turn on the ignition and hit the run button, the fuel pump primes up as usual but has no spark, "confirmed". Fuel mists out of the holes when initially cranking with no plugs in. I'm not sure where to go next. The oil pressure switch indicates a little pressure when cranking. Bike has 30K Mi. Is there any diagnostics on this model, it almost seems like a sensor problem. I have a service manual, but not the electrical diagnostic version, not sure if it will even help. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Ultratrueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

jbxmn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Do you have any add-ons, such as a power commander?
jbxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Nope, no power commander
Old 04-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Paniolo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well if you are not getting any spark, I would work from there. Check the spark plugs, the plug wires, and the coil. Those hardly go bad, so it's possible that something is not allowing the coil to fire.
Paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Well after reading some other posts, I did just pressure wash it the day before. I rode in after washing, No problems and as mentioned before got 1.5 miles the next day. Tried the diagnostic sequence, which I'm not sure works on this vintage. 1. turned run button to on 2. held in odom reset button and then turned ignition to on. Odom read D01Clr and went to D10Clr when button was pushed each time, then read PPU, pushed again and it read 82883;can anyone translate this?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
FNG :)

Black02Ultra wants to know Dino or Syn?
Speedo codes don't work on 01. Did engine light come on when it died? Make sure all electrical connections are dry, you may be shorting out something.
Black02Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

mlewis wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you follow thru on the ‘no spark’ after power wash notion, you can rule out ignition switch, fuse and engine kill switch since you have fuel pump priming. I think it’s possible the power wash may have affected wire connection continuity to the coil. These are likely pressure fit terminal connections, not to be confused with the plug wires going to each spark plug
mlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

Thanks for all of the assistance. I dont remember if the light came on when it died, I was more concerned with getting out of traffic but, good question. I've replaced the ignition fuse just in case it was bad and not visible. I've checked power at the 3 pin weather pack at the coil and cant find 12v. on any wire even while cranking. I talked to the dealership yesterday and explained to them what I've done and they believe that with my information, it most likely has a bad control module. "This is about $500 out the door". I'll advise what the cause was when it actually runs again.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
FNG :)

Black02Ultra wants to know Dino or Syn?
Did you check the ECM power fuse? On mine this fuse is located next to the ECM.
Black02Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

tom norton wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had an 03 Road King that did the same thing (while riding in the rain) The dealer took a week to determine that the crank sensor was bad. Lucky it was a warranty repair at the time..
tom norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Yes, ECM fuse is good. Messed with it some more today just to see what I could find before it goes into the dealership. Thought for awhile that it may just be the run switch. Bypassed the switch and still had the issue. The relays for the fuel pump and ECU pulsate on and off and the check engine light and gauges flicker on and off very inconsistanlty and occasionally it will fire the coil and ignite the fuel and back fire. I am really thinking that the ECU is shot. This is really weird!!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Paniolo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultratrueblue View Post
Yes, ECM fuse is good. Messed with it some more today just to see what I could find before it goes into the dealership. Thought for awhile that it may just be the run switch. Bypassed the switch and still had the issue. The relays for the fuel pump and ECU pulsate on and off and the check engine light and gauges flicker on and off very inconsistanlty and occasionally it will fire the coil and ignite the fuel and back fire. I am really thinking that the ECU is shot. This is really weird!!

That is a distinct possibility as the ECM on my '01 died too. Luckily I was covered under some extended EPA warranty. If your ECM is shot, and you are not covered, then now is a great opportunity to get the Zippers ECM and throttlebody, and convert your bike to Delphi like I did. I know it's a lot of coin, but if you are going to keep the bike, and you have to replace the ECM, you might as well upgrade to a better system.
Paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

prophet wants to know Dino or Syn?
Did you replace the spark plugs? They can foul over time and you may not even notice until the day it won't fire.

2010 FLHTK, SE-204/1.725 rockers, SEST, VH Pro-Pipe, Roland Sands Breather, Arnott Air Suspension.
prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

Paniolo, Thanks for confirming that this can happen, the dealership said that they dont often see an ECU go bad. Thanks for the advise on the Zipper as well. I'll look at the price on that. Trouble is, wife is not happy with my spending lately, just bought some chrome for it before it gave out on me.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

Just thought of another question. After disconecting the battery last night for about 30 min. and reconnecting, noticed that when turning on the ignition the 4 way flashers, flashed maybe 4 times and then went out. Does anyone know if that is a diagnostic code? It is very consistant every time you turn on the ignition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement