Cam chain tensioner failure survey - Page 15 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 01:19 AM   #211 (permalink)
Premium Member

oregonkickstart wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am curious about the symptoms when the tensioners fall apart. My '06 was running fine up until a couple days ago. I noticed some strange vibes and an odd exhaust note first, then the bike would not idle high enough. When I plugged into it today to check it out it began running almost wide open, then dropped back down to not idling correctly. Without turning the throttle and holding it, it would not idle. Seems like the timing is off so I thought of this problem right away. It feels extremely rough when running. I have an '06 FXTBI with 15400mi. on it.

"It's a sick world and I'm a happy guy!"

My '06 FXSTBI "Flame"
oregonkickstart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2009, 01:55 AM   #212 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would think that if our tensioners were so bad that it affected the way your bike is running you would hear all kinds of noise from the cam chest or behind the timing cover. I have 06 with 55K and so far so good. I had the tensioners checked at 36K and they were good....Dealer said I should just ride it and if it fails it will be coverd under warranty.
1L243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2009, 06:10 AM   #213 (permalink)
FNG :)

Ronw435 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just took mine down after 33K. Both tensioners had very minimal wear, front did not even have a groove worn in it but had some pitting. Rear barely had a groove starting, maybe .005. But this one also have some serious pitting. Does anyone know what causes the pitting? Been using Mobil 1 for about 15k.

Ron
Ronw435 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2009, 04:01 AM   #214 (permalink)

TatRod wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hello, and thanks to everyone for the helpful information. I am considering the S&S gear drive system with Andrews cams but, keep hearing negative things about "crank run-out". Can anyone please explain what "crank run-out" means and why it would be a potential problem with the SS gear system? Thank you for any help in advance.

Last edited by TatRod; 02-02-2009 at 04:52 AM. Reason: more descriptive
TatRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2009, 04:36 AM   #215 (permalink)

TatRod wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you dont mind my asking how much did the S&S gear drive and Andrews cams end up costing? Possibly break down parts & labor. Looking to go this route myself. Thanks for any help you can give
TatRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #216 (permalink)
Premium Member

thsorens wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatRod View Post
Hello, and thanks to everyone for the helpful information. I am considering the S&S gear drive system with Andrews cams but, keep hearing negative things about "crank run-out". Can anyone please explain what "crank run-out" means and why it would be a potential problem with the SS gear system? Thank you for any help in advance.
Crank run out is how much wobble you have at the end of the crank. The cranks on the twin cams are 2 piece and are pressed together. Under heavy load, like burnouts or wheelies, the cranks can shift slightly where they are pressed together causing run out. Guys that build up high hp engines, actually take the cranks out and have them trued and welded.

Last edited by thsorens; 02-06-2009 at 07:25 AM.
thsorens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #217 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thsorens View Post
Crank run out is how much wobble you have at the end of the crank. The cranks on the twin cams are 2 piece and are pressed together. Under heavy load, like burnouts or wheelies, the cranks can shift slightly wear they are pressed together causing run out. Guys that build up high hp engines, actually take the cranks out and have them trued and welded.
Nice explanation...

My '06 FXSTBI "Flame"
Old 02-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #218 (permalink)
IronButt

RG50 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronw435 View Post
Just took mine down after 33K. Both tensioners had very minimal wear, front did not even have a groove worn in it but had some pitting. Rear barely had a groove starting, maybe .005. But this one also have some serious pitting. Does anyone know what causes the pitting? Been using Mobil 1 for about 15k.

Ron
Mine had the same wear with the same mileage when I did the gear swap.
As far as the pitts,the mat'l is breaking apart.
These are the pieces that are found in the filter.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:14 AM   #219 (permalink)

next2dixie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Have a 2000 Ultra with 35k. I pulled the cam cover to check . Found the outer worn down about 1/3, not bad I thought. Got my dental mirror and checked the inner one.... Still there but cracked where it pins to the tensioner. Went to my local dealer who couldn't wait to work on it under the extended warranty. There were no symptoms other a little more noise from the cam area. Putting stock parts back in. If there is a next time I'll put in the SE upgrade kit.
next2dixie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #220 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by next2dixie View Post
Have a 2000 Ultra with 35k...

>SNIP<

...stock parts back in. If there is a next time I'll put in the SE upgrade kit.
Oh; there will be a "next time" mister... Just you wait...

ROTFL!

Harley Davidson... God bless 'em...

Hehehe... "next time"... "If"... hahahahaha....

PS: hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa..... "if"... "next..." hahahahahahahahahahahhaahaaaaa.... No; really.... >snicker<

My '06 FXSTBI "Flame"

Last edited by oregonkickstart; 02-08-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:37 AM   #221 (permalink)
Premium Member

...not that I'm cynical or anything....

My '06 FXSTBI "Flame"
Old 02-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #222 (permalink)

dmaple308 wants to know Dino or Syn?
'03' changed them myself at 24,000. Rear probably had 10,000 to 15,000 yet to go. Front one had alot more left. Saved 600.00 to 700.00$ doing it myself. Was not to tuff a job. Just take your time and have a shop manual. Special tools needed are cam and crank sprockett lock block tool and cam chain tensioner tool. If you change the inner bearings like I did you'll need a tool for that also. It's about 200.00$ I was lucky my local dealer mechanic let me rent his for 50.00$. the other tools I mentioned earlier I think cost me about 75.00$ from a Jim tool dealer online. Oh I almost forgot you need 2 Evo tappet block alignment tools about 15.00$ for 2. Those are to align the oil pump. Also you'll have to have the cams pressed out to install the new tensioners on the cam plate. I am not a pro I do what have to to save money and ever since my first shovel head I kinda take pride in doing my own work on my scoot.
dmaple308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 02:00 AM   #223 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonkickstart View Post
I am curious about the symptoms when the tensioners fall apart. My '06 was running fine up until a couple days ago. I noticed some strange vibes and an odd exhaust note first, then the bike would not idle high enough. When I plugged into it today to check it out it began running almost wide open, then dropped back down to not idling correctly. Without turning the throttle and holding it, it would not idle. Seems like the timing is off so I thought of this problem right away. It feels extremely rough when running. I have an '06 FXTBI with 15400mi. on it.
Just an update. Turns out my scoot suffered damage to the wire harness from my Thundermax ECU to the rear O2 sensor. The ECU tried to compensate for a bad signal fro the rear jug and produced symptoms of being out of time. Fixed the problem, but have yet to check the tensioners...

My '06 FXSTBI "Flame"
Old 02-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #224 (permalink)
Sales Weasel

miker84 wants to know Dino or Syn?
30,000 highway miles, nothing but synthetic oil.

37G going back in

Last edited by miker84; 02-15-2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Had to fix photo link
miker84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #225 (permalink)
Premium Member

thsorens wants to know Dino or Syn?
Those look about normal. Replace them and check them again in another 30K. I know Harley doens't consider them a normal wear item item, but lets face it, they are. Check them every 20-30K and you are fine. Sure, gear drive gives you more peace of mind, but you can stay with the plastic tensioners as long as you keep an eye on em.

just my 2 cents.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.