removing inner cam bearings : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 88" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 05:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

RE AND CHERYL wants to know Dino or Syn?
removing inner cam bearings

Besides the semi expensive Harley tool, is there anything else I can use to remove the inner cam bearings. I really don't want to buy a $100 dollar tool for a one time use.

Re'
RE AND CHERYL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 05:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
2005 Road King Classic

wkohn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Send him an email and have him email a picture.

I now have a combination TC inner cam bearing puller.installer. It uses the same remover finger bolt but with a newly designed sleeve that also acts as part of the installer by holding the installer straight with the bore. The bearing can then be lightly tapped in using the installer. The combo will be $85 including shipping to lower 48 states. If your interested, email me;
beattygw@sbcglobal.net

lighter is faster - Colin Chapman (founder of Lotus)
Remember that cars and motorcycles are not the only things recalled by their maker. - some wise person
wkohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Highly Seasoned Rider!

newultraclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
You really need a proper tool to do this. If you crush the shell of the inner cam bearing and drop a needle or two down into the crankcase, you have a major problem.

Besides that, here is the issue of potential for damage to the crankcase holes where the bearings go.

newultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Infidel

Gulfstream wants to know Dino or Syn?
I used with great success a $10 pilot bearing puller from Harbor Freight...I just ground down the "ears" to prevent it from damaging the bearing bores as Newultraclassic mentioned. Installed B148 Torringtons with a standard bearing driver...they both worked fine.

"People sleep comfortably at night in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf".

Gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

RE AND CHERYL wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstream
I used with great success a $10 pilot bearing puller from Harbor Freight...I just ground down the "ears" to prevent it from damaging the bearing bores as Newultraclassic mentioned. Installed B148 Torringtons with a standard bearing driver...they both worked fine.
Was that a slide type puller or did you tighten it to press them out?

Re'
RE AND CHERYL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Sleeps In Trees wants to know Dino or Syn?
wkohn, I have Mr. Beattys puller/installer & am very happy w/it too. I've recommended it to other ppl who are very satisfied w/the product as well.

VicW.
Sleeps In Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Infidel

Gulfstream wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
Was that a slide type puller or did you tighten it to press them out?

Re'
The type that you tighten. Looks like this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4876 and I installed them with http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38145. Hope this helps.

"People sleep comfortably at night in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf".

Gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ozmark wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstream
The type that you tighten. Looks like this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4876 and I installed them with http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38145. Hope this helps.
I used one of those pullers on mine and the front bearing came out fine the rear one exploded and needles went everywhere including into the crankcase, wasn't happy.
It's a risk that if it works then fine but if it stuffs up............
ozmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Ragnar wants to know Dino or Syn?
JIMS makes an inner bearing puller/installer that is better than the HD tool; it's simple to use and makes the operation almost foolproof. If you don't want to buy it, there is a guy on the Delphi forum, Harley Tech Talk, that rents them.

Ragnar
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

skypilot7103 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Georges garage a sponsor has a great tool for this. I'm sure you could list it at your dealer on a board and just about get your money back or recoup by renting it out. There are only a couple of million bikes that will need a fix shortly. I would not chance dropping a needle into the crankcase, plus his install tool is a no brainer which is great for me ha ha!
skypilot7103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Free is Good

BikerLou wants to know Dino or Syn?
I used the same installer as post 7 but used the slide hammer type blind bearing puller from harbor freight. worked great

Lou

SE Stage II 95, SE Flattops, SE 203
Big Boyz Street Port decked for 9.8:1
Cometic .030 Head Gasket
VPC
Feuling Super Pump
SE Quick Install Pushrods
Baisley Spring
Ness Big Sucker AC
V&H Big Radius
SERT, TwinScanII+
BikerLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
"Jane you ignorant slut!"

ceraaa42 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I used the slide hammer also, but first I'd put the old style axle bearing grease in the bearing so if it lost a bearing it would just stick there.

Chris
SE255 cams
SE Air cleaner
SERT
Fatcat Quiet baffle
Bagger brace
Dyno report; http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/dr...et-baffle.html

"Ya fargin' sneeky bastage!" Roman Troy Moronie

43 member
ceraaa42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement