V-Twin Forum banner

Evo 1984 clutch

7K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  bugsike 
#1 ·
Hi, I have 1984 flhtc, and my clutch is way to hard.
I have 5 gear trans with the shovel head style clutch arm.

What can I do to make it easyer to pull?
Will the ramp and ball style will make thing better?

Thanks, Amit.

#3 ·
i see, i was thinking about doing it, i found out by the gasket that it can be done(84-86 vs 87-up) and i need to replace the bearing cover.
now i'm not sure what clutch i have, the early or late 84 style, is there any advantage on the diaphragm spring? or to leave it there?
thanks for the help.

#4 · (Edited)
To identify the clutch. Remove the derby cover. You will see 4 10mm bolt heads, that is the late 84 clutch, or, If you see a plate with 10 coil springs under it and 3, 5, or 10, 9/16" head nuts it's the early clutch. The clutch should not matter when you do the update on the other side of the transmission.
To upgrade you will need every part from the right edge of the transmission case outward, including a new clutch cable for a 1987, it will all be bolt on, mods.
I special tool, a puller for the right side bearing door, it removes the door without disassembling the transmission, it is available from the sponsor, Georges garage.

#6 ·
Tanks for the info!
I think you didn't understand me right, Is the diaphragm spring have advance on the coil spring? Or just changing to "ramp and ball" will be enough?

Are all 5 gear housing are the same?(twin cam will fit?)
Or I need only evo/touring one?

#7 · (Edited)
Hello, Al, the step by step seemed long winded, and well, just long, lol, it was like reading a book. If it would be helpful to someone I can relist it.
All the 5 speed cases are basically the same, there have been some exterior changes over the years, a couple of main shaft changes, and a drive gear set change in the mid 90's and a larger main bearing in the late gearboxes, but the right side components can be changed rather easily to the late model actuator, it just needs all the parts to be changed to the later parts, nothing can be reused.
Yes, I did misunderstand. Actually, the 84-89 diaphragm clutch is the weakest clutch harley has ever used, it has fewer plates. The hub is prone to cracking. Honestly, I've never tried to go backwards and use the early clutch in the 84 up housing.
The best thing that can be done for the 84-89 clutch is the reinforcement ring for the hub and a complete rivera pro clutch.

#12 · (Edited)
Hi sorry for the delay, the cable handle pin and all are good, every thing works smooth, but still the clutch is hard, I notice that the most when staying on 1 gear on a trafic stop.
After I'm going on to a ride on my other bikes i got the feeling like the clutch is not connect to noting, it is just working without force.

Now I will try to get a used part for it, I was thinking on milling a shovelhead clutch cover with +87 style ramp and ball on it.
What do you think?

#15 ·
It could be done, but why, since you already will need a cover, for reference, and all the other parts, buy the door and bolt it all on????? Or if you just want to do what you want to do, I understand that also, nothing is hard, you just need the raw materials, and the tools to accomplish the task. Good luck, and maybe a few pics when you are done

#16 ·
Hi, if I will mill that cover I will only need to buy the clutch cover and won't need the door(?).
The small cover can be found for almost noting. Also I won't need to take the door out and to dill with it.
I can also customize the cover as I want.
I have the tools and acsees to cnc machine so it won't be a problme.

I understood that the 21 deg is better then the 18 deg, am I right?
If the 18 deg will work ok I prefer it for easy operation.

Will Update..

#18 ·
Just a note on cables - that flat wound outer cable can slip and bind under pressure. It will look perfectly usable, but don't trust a visual inspection. Amitix, I have an 84 flhtc with the early clutch hub like yours. It's easy to pull in - I'd be looking for the faulty parts before thinking about changing the whole design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.