Check tensioner spring : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Surfbum wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check tensioner spring

I have been getting lots of noise from the primary. I checked the auto tensioner and it was within specs, I thought maybe it was the compensator???

I took it to a Harley dealer and they said, "it's normal for Evo's to be loud and have lots of vibrations. I just couldn't buy that. I realize that Evo's do vibrate and make more top end noise but not like I was experiencing.

I went ahead and bought a Hayden m6 just to start eliminating what the problem might be and when I took the other one out the difference in the strength of the spring was unbelievable.

I don't know which auto tensioner the original owner put in, but it was so springy, that my chain was just bouncing around in there...only 10,000 miles on the bike. So, it could be that worn out.

After putting the m6 in there it's like a new machine. It's so much more quiet, and the vibrations have cut down significantly. i used to shift just to eliminate the noise and vibration.

All I'm saying is check the spring if your having similiar problems. The specs were right 5/8, but the spring was bad.

Hope this might help somebody out there.

Last edited by Surfbum; 05-14-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Surfbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

RogerDodger wants to know Dino or Syn?
You actually found a Harley dealer that knows what an Evo is?
My '95 Evo is smoother running, smoother shifting and quieter than either of my TC's (not talking pipes here).

That's sound advice for those with older spring primary tensioners.
RogerDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger View Post
You actually found a Harley dealer that knows what an Evo is?
My '95 Evo is smoother running, smoother shifting and quieter than either of my TC's (not talking pipes here).

That's sound advice for those with older spring primary tensioners.
Hahaha

Mine is a 94 Fxsts. I got the bike a few months ago, and it was noisy. Yet, a few people told me "thats what Evo's do."

It was driving me crazy.

It really feels and sounds like a different bike now.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Lakerat wants to know Dino or Syn?
The spring broke on the M-6 that is in my FXR and when I called Hayden looking for a new spring, the nice lady explained to me that the only way that spring is going to fail is if the shoe wears or chain stretches and I let the correct gap get away from me.....period. Sure wish there was another source for the correct spring.

92 FXLR
97 Ultra (RIP)
98 95th Anniversary Ultra
PGR
Lakerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

speedfreak wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfbum View Post
I have been getting lots of noise from the primary. I checked the auto tensioner and it was within specs, I thought maybe it was the compensator???

I took it to a Harley dealer and they said, "it's normal for Evo's to be loud and have lots of vibrations. I just couldn't buy that. I realize that Evo's do vibrate and make more top end noise but not like I was experiencing.

I went ahead and bought a Hayden m6 just to start eliminating what the problem might be and when I took the other one out the difference in the strength of the spring was unbelievable.

I don't know which auto tensioner the original owner put in, but it was so springy, that my chain was just bouncing around in there...only 10,000 miles on the bike. So, it could be that worn out.

After putting the m6 in there it's like a new machine. It's so much more quiet, and the vibrations have cut down significantly. i used to shift just to eliminate the noise and vibration.

All I'm saying is check the spring if your having similiar problems. The specs were right 5/8, but the spring was bad.

Hope this might help somebody out there.
replace the m6 tensioner whith a stock one they are way better.
do it before the spring breaks off.

speed
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I guess thats a possibility, but I have heard nothing but good things about the M6.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

speedfreak wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
I guess thats a possibility, but I have heard nothing but good things about the M6.
i supoose you have seen the post
in this tread that the spring can break.
and there is another tread in this
section that have a pic of a broken m6 spring.
dont mean to be an smartass here just give you a warning.

speed
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Yah, i read the post. Everything can break...so Like I said, its a possibility.

Thanks for your concern.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

TacoBellMan wants to know Dino or Syn?
I broke my M6 spring. It was due to lack of maintenance. Spring snapped in the middle. I havent checked it for at least 17-20k miles. Hayden will send you 2 new springs and some shims for about $12.

You need to check the spring every 8-10k, pull the outer primary off and put a shim in there if its over 5/8" They say a MINIMUM of 5/8". I put mine closer to 1/2" or 9/16". If you use more than 5 shims, its probably time to replace your primary chain.

Once I need a new chain I'm going to switch to an open primary.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBellMan View Post
I broke my M6 spring. It was due to lack of maintenance. Spring snapped in the middle. I havent checked it for at least 17-20k miles. Hayden will send you 2 new springs and some shims for about $12.

You need to check the spring every 8-10k, pull the outer primary off and put a shim in there if its over 5/8" They say a MINIMUM of 5/8". I put mine closer to 1/2" or 9/16". If you use more than 5 shims, its probably time to replace your primary chain.

Once I need a new chain I'm going to switch to an open primary.

Hey Taco....I saw that you got your carb issues worked out.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

TacoBellMan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Hey Taco....I saw that you got your carb issues worked out.
Oh yeah, runs 100% perfect now. Having primary problems since then. But getting that worked out as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement