1976 Electra Glide: starter problems : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Thrive2Drive wants to know Dino or Syn?
1976 Electra Glide: starter problems

I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread to post under, I'm new.

My questions are about a motorcycle that I am working on, not a bike that I actually own. My soon to be father in law is sick and cannot work on his bike anymore so he asked me to try and get the bike going again. The bike is a 1976 FLH Electra Glide 1200, he thought it was just the starter but I replaced it and given that reinstalled everything correctly the bike still would not start. The starter doesnít even really sound like its engaging, it is making noise, but not like its trying to turn over. I was not the one to take it all apart, he had done it about 2 years ago before he got too sick to be able to continue working on it, so its hard for me to know just how everything goes back together. This is also my first time working on a Harley, Iíve only worked on snowmobiles and little bikes (100cc). I know Iím not giving anyone much to go off of but Iím open to all ideas on what to do next, weíre trying to avoid taking it to a shop because we have no trailer and really want to try and avoid the costs of a bike shop. The bike just has electric start, no kick starter so Iím kind of stuck. He seems to think that it might be something internal but Iím still not sure. I will not be able to work on the bike for a few months as he lives 10 hours away, but any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated. I can at least try to diagnose the problem and have some ideas ready for when I visit again. Thanks!
Thrive2Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The MoCo shop manual and the parts book would both be a great help to you.

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by webco2 View Post
The MoCo shop manual and the parts book would both be a great help to you.

assembly and wiring diagram will answer 1000 questions

http://www.smokeriders.com/diagrams/...976_FL_FLH.gif

Also you need a little more explicitness to exactly what the starter is doing, is it spinning up without engaging? Is it turning over too slowly?
Ported heads
SE 203 Cams
SE Camplate and Pump
Fueling lifters
SE Push rods
HRS 42 Mikuni Carb
DTT Ignition

Last edited by Nitram_b4; 03-16-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Viel VergnŁgen

vindex1963 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
My '79 Shovel had lots of starter relay problems.

Please vote for Ride of the Month

Have a question about the site look here.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 Ultra
vindex1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

gb1500 wants to know Dino or Syn?
not an expert on shovel starters but the solenoid engages the starter into position and the starter must turn the clutch housing....the connections must be good and the ground cable to the starter must be not rotten...also another cable underneath frame to engine must not be rotten....scrape all connections and carb spray clean, try jumping it direct...wish i could be there to help bro
gb1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitram_b4 View Post
assembly and wiring diagram will answer 1000 questions

http://www.smokeriders.com/diagrams/...976_FL_FLH.gif

Also you need a little more explicitness to exactly what the starter is doing, is it spinning up without engaging? Is it turning over too slowly?
Thanks, I have two different books with the diagrams and such which are helping. As far as just what the starter is doing is that it sounds like its spinning, just not engaging at all with anything. I know this is extremely vague and not really enough to make a true diagnosis from, but its all I know. I'm not sure about the speed, never having worked on this bike before, or any Harley, so I really don't know what it's supposed to sound like when starting.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb1500 View Post
not an expert on shovel starters but the solenoid engages the starter into position and the starter must turn the clutch housing....the connections must be good and the ground cable to the starter must be not rotten...also another cable underneath frame to engine must not be rotten....scrape all connections and carb spray clean, try jumping it direct...wish i could be there to help bro
Okay, I'll check all my grounds. I did try jump starting it because the battery is almost shot, it hasn't been on a charger in like 2 years so its not really wanting to charge, might just get a new one. And thanks, I wish I had a little help too. My biggest thought is that I hooked something up wrong. My current perplexing issue is the "push rod assembly" / "oil slinger" (???) basically I don't know how it all connects with the clutch "finger" and cover. The book goes in detail if I was installing a kick starter, but I'm not due to the exhaust being routed a little different the peg doesn't fit so its just the electric starter unit. Again, not a whole heck of a lot to go off of, sorry..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	push rod.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	77729   Click image for larger version

Name:	w:o push rod.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	77737  
Old 03-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Sounds like it could be the starter bendix
Ported heads
SE 203 Cams
SE Camplate and Pump
Fueling lifters
SE Push rods
HRS 42 Mikuni Carb
DTT Ignition
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement