Johnson Engineering twist gear : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
djl
IronButt

djl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Johnson Engineering twist gear

I haven't seen any recent inquiring posts on the

http://twistgear.net/

but do recall a few inquirys about this modification a long while back. Just wanted to let any interested members know that I have completed the install in my '02 FLHT so, if there are still any inquiring minds, post away.
djl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Dogbone96 wants to know Dino or Syn?
What is your opinion of this gear set? Is the gap between 4th and 5th very noticable? I have a Twist Gear set here at the shop and have been thinking about installing it in my '06 Ultra. I like the 3.15 high gear but could use lower 1st thru 4. Any comments good or bad are appreciated.
Dogbone96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
djl
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbone96 View Post
What is your opinion of this gear set? Is the gap between 4th and 5th very noticable? I have a Twist Gear set here at the shop and have been thinking about installing it in my '06 Ultra. I like the 3.15 high gear but could use lower 1st thru 4. Any comments good or bad are appreciated.
I have never thought a six speed conversion was worth $2500 (Baker) and five speeds is enough for me. I would do it again in a heartbeat; very cost effective upgrade IMHO. I do notice the gap in the 4-5 shift but have no issue with it. By the time I hit 5th, I am always going fast enough that I don't notice the gap. I do find that I use 3 and 4 more in the twisties than before which is changing that riding style a bit but for the better; less braking and more evenly applied power.

The parts are quality. 2000 miles since the conversion and, shor of a six speed, a great upgrade for the five speed. You will need to recalibrate your speedo as it will be off 10%.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Dogbone96 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thank you, It looks like a good spring project. I have all the 5 speed tools so it will be a simple job. I have a 24/37 primary set I could install but didn't want to lose the tall 5th. The Twist Gear looks like the best of both.
Dogbone96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
djl
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbone96 View Post
Thank you, It looks like a good spring project. I have all the 5 speed tools so it will be a simple job. I have a 24/37 primary set I could install but didn't want to lose the tall 5th. The Twist Gear looks like the best of both.
Good luck. If you have all the tools and parts laid out and don't run into any glitches, it's a Saturday job.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

dm1333 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by djl View Post
Good luck. If you have all the tools and parts laid out and don't run into any glitches, it's a Saturday job.
How much did it cost you? I've been doing a little reading, trying to decide between this and a 6spd conversion. One thing I need to do this winter is fix the cylinder base leaks and some top end work so saving money is on my mind.
dm1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

fatclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had never heard of twistgear before but it looks like a good idea. I'd like to lower my Hiway RPM's on my fatboy but I like my present 1-4 gearing. Looks like a twistgear and a 34T tranny sprocket may the answer. Djl, did you change tranny sprocket also? What did it cost? This has me interested. Any problems so far?
Advertisement