Primary belt drive : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Senor Bill wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Primary belt drive

Does anyone have ANY experience with a "BELT DRIVES LTD." EVB-1SL 68-48 enclosed primary belt drive for a 2000 FLHRI?? Good OR Bad..??? Comments.......
Orange, CA

Senor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

qtrracer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Haven't had any experience per se with that unit but I have had 2 enclosed primary belts set ups on 2 different bikes. Both bikes had very limited belt life due to the heat buildup and narrow belt size. Maybe someone else has used that exact unit but unless I knew someone personally that did and had a trouble free experience, I would stay away from enclosed belt primaries.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

johnjzjz wants to know Dino or Syn?
a couple of things to think about before spending a pile of cash

the oil in the primary is the cooling for the 32 amp stator in your charging system that will not he happy, and could / will over load the 100plus dollar regulator with itself

they always use alloy pulleys even if they are hard anodized they will wear out before the hardened steel sprockets, seen steel sprockets in 150,000 mile bikes still going, but not an alloy sprocket no matter who makes it, the centers are steel for the drive spud and have seen them separate from one another steel center and the alloy cog, not to say belt is short lived, but it is even if you cut up the primary cover to let in enough air

the chain will last 30,000 miles easy / we change them out at 30 - but i have seen bikes with an original chain and twice that mileage

The plus - it will show a little more torque on a dyno ( little bit ) and if it was a rigid mount motor and its not you would feel it to be smoother maybe something else but it escapes me -- just my take - jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Have cut plenty holes for cooling and still sern failures. Primary belts are for those who dont ride.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
FNG :)

Senor Bill wants to know Dino or Syn?
Exclamation

My Shovelhead belt drive has 60,000+ on sprockets & belt with "0" problems.....love it.....& and I RIDE IT !!!!
Orange, CA

Senor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

qtrracer wants to know Dino or Syn?
The only primary belt drive I got any real service life out of was a 3" open unit. The other 2 enclosed versions I used, and they were ventilated with milled slots and/or spacers on the cover(s), not very long before they came undone.
Advertisement