Leak @ primary : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

lumpy63 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Leak @ primary

Just bought '05 Super Glide, 12k miles. Changed fluids... Being cautious, changed engine oil/filter one day, drained expected amount out, then went for ride. No leaks. Changed tranny oil next day, only got 16 oz out. Refilled with specified amount (24 oz), went for a ride, no leaks. Changed primary oil next day, refilled to bottom of clutch (26 oz did it, as manual calls for). Went for ride next day, and found fresh oil @ primary drain plug. Replaced o rings on all 3 plugs during oil changes. Each ride after oil changes was 50+ miles. I Read other posts about similar leaks; appears only to be 'seeps' @ inside edge of primary, but its pretty grimy there and may be soaking up oil. The low amount of tranny oil I got out makes me think it is coming from trans. Tranny vent (I think?) is dry. What should I check next? Thanks.
lumpy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
First if it is just a little weaping, the best fix is brake clean, unless you want to learn about your bike. I went through that phase. Now it is brake clean.

I run Redline in my tranny, not cause I think it is better, but because, I got tired of trying to figure out what leak was what.

Brake clean everything really good, and go for short ride, and see if you can figure out where it is coming from. Tranny shifter leaks are very common. Jackshaft seal is not uncommon either.

If you get really bored this winter, get a Cometic R&R primary set, and take it all apart. Or wait until belt breaks.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

I didn't know there were orings on primary plugs on 5 speeds. When did they go to that? My 07 has orings, but 01 gunked up.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

lumpy63 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the help. Not sure when they went to o rings. My primary drain plug is smaller than the other two and had a different color o ring (Viton?). I just bought new ones from the local dealer.
lumpy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

dirtybrain wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with berserker. Had the same problem with my Softail. Turned out to be tranny fluid migrating through a bad seal (shift shaft seal). I let it go for about 6 months; just kept an eye on my tranny oil level. Finally got tired of putting a rag under the bike to catch the few drips of oil overnight.

You should be able to tell if its tranny fluid if you run gear oil in your tranny, like 75/140 or so - it will be much thicker (and in some cases, a different color) than the 20/50 HD runs in all three cases. If you have oil running down the backside of your primary and "collecting" at the primary drain plug, my bet would be tranny oil. Look for oil on your final drive belt too.
dirtybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpy63 View Post
Thanks for the help. Not sure when they went to o rings. My primary drain plug is smaller than the other two and had a different color o ring (Viton?). I just bought new ones from the local dealer.
I wonder if the oring on the primary plug, is just some add on. What does your service manual say? I would have expected goop. But I don't have an 05, so I could be wrong.
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
BigMo

Mohead1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thought the primary drain was a pipe thread, needing thread sealant....o-ring?? hmmmm
Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I'm going through the same issue. The oil is running down the back of the inner primary. Not sure if it is tranny or primary.

Haven't pulled out my manual yet, but to change the primary wouldn't it be not that much more work to also change the tranny oil seal? Can the front sprocket be removed without removing the tranny with the inner primary off?

Also leery of spraying brake cleaner all around, that is some mean powerfull stuff...

rkc
Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

dirtybrain wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohead1 View Post
Thought the primary drain was a pipe thread, needing thread sealant....o-ring?? hmmmm
Mine is an '06 and all three plugs have o-rings. Tranny and engine oil plugs are the same size (black o-rings) and primary is a smaller one (green o-ring). Don't recall the sizes off the top of my head. I replace them at every service since they are cheap.

Had HD do my inner primary/tranny seals and they replaced the o-rings when they put everything back together - they over-torqued the hell out of the plugs and smashed the o-rings to pieces but they also used pipe dope. I serviced my tranny and primary the next day with new o-rings.
dirtybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
BigMo

Mohead1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Actually, i do recall my 07 SE Dyna has o-rings on the plugs.....there musta been a change over somewhere around 04 or so.....
Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
djl
IronButt

djl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King Cole View Post
I'm going through the same issue. The oil is running down the back of the inner primary. Not sure if it is tranny or primary.

Haven't pulled out my manual yet, but to change the primary wouldn't it be not that much more work to also change the tranny oil seal? Can the front sprocket be removed without removing the tranny with the inner primary off?

rkc
Oil running down the back of the inner primary could be tranny or primary lubricant. One reason why so many run Redline gear lube in the transmission; it's pink.

It is quite common on the early models with performance upgrades for the inner primary bearing race to "walk" in to the 5th gear/mainshaft seal which will allow trans oil to migrate past that seal. The leak will be more than seeping but it will take a while to see anything on the garage floor under the bike. I am betting that is the source of your leak.

I have done the job many times and if I were you, I would bite the bullet, order all the trans seals, the S&S inner primary bearing, new inner primary bearing and seal, gaskets, etc. and fix it. Once you get into the inner primary, the hard work is done and the cost to replace every seal behind the inner primary is not much money. It's a one or two day job depending on mechanical skills and having all the parts and tools on hand.

Check the link, it's as good a write up (with photos) as I have seen.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...lacements.html
djl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by djl View Post
Oil running down the back of the inner primary could be tranny or primary lubricant. One reason why so many run Redline gear lube in the transmission; it's pink.

It is quite common on the early models with performance upgrades for the inner primary bearing race to "walk" in to the 5th gear/mainshaft seal which will allow trans oil to migrate past that seal. The leak will be more than seeping but it will take a while to see anything on the garage floor under the bike. I am betting that is the source of your leak.

I have done the job many times and if I were you, I would bite the bullet, order all the trans seals, the S&S inner primary bearing, new inner primary bearing and seal, gaskets, etc. and fix it. Once you get into the inner primary, the hard work is done and the cost to replace every seal behind the inner primary is not much money. It's a one or two day job depending on mechanical skills and having all the parts and tools on hand.

Check the link, it's as good a write up (with photos) as I have seen.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...lacements.html

That's what I was thinking. Great link!

THANK-YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

rkc
Old 11-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

brownfoxx1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
use TFE paste on the plug threads.& don't overtighten the plug.
brownfoxx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

I thought they went to an oring on the primary when they went 6 speed, 06 for dynas, 07 for rest. But I don't know this.

It is not hard to remove the primary, but if it is not leaking bad is ir worth it? Because it is hard to check the level in the primary, it may be.

Remember the clutch nut is reverse thread.

My stator grommet has been leaking for a few years. One of these days, I am going to fix it when I take it apart for something else.

As for brake clean, the only thing you have to worry about is cancer, and that is only if you live in CA. Rest of the country is tougher. I buy a few cans of this stuff at a time. I love it for cleaning concrete, gunked up parts. I have even used it guns.
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 11-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
djl
IronButt

djl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post
It is not hard to remove the primary, but if it is not leaking bad is ir worth it?
Yeah, it is. If the leak is the result of the inner primary bearing race walking in on the mainshaft. Best to address it before it walks in too far.
djl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement