Tensioners : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

hardheaded wants to know Dino or Syn?
Tensioners

so what do tou kike the hayden b-107, baker or harley for the new bikes
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Danglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
the Hayden has been great on my 02 for the last 80,000 miles or so,no problems yet on the new one,so interested as well.

2002 Superglide
2012 Road glide Ultra T-header,T-max,Tuned Induction
Danglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

i'm not to sure about the harley tightner don't know much about it
Old 11-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

bpeer1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm a little confused by the above posts but I have an 08 Streetglide and I'm pretty sure I have a bad inner primary bearing. I think it was caused by the P.O.S. Harley auto chain adjuster. I will be replacing the junk stock chain adjuster with either the Baker manual adjuster or the Hayden auto adjuster. I can pretty much figure out how well the Baker adjuster works but I would like to hear from people that have used the Hayden M6BT-07 adjuster. I didn't mean to hijack this thread if I did. I think we are all trying to get the same info.
BP
bpeer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark p View Post
Mark from Baker here, I am obviously going to be bias here and tell you to buy the Baker. That being said I have heard good things about the Hayden as well. The biggest difference is ours is a manual adjuster and should be checked at least once a riding season but for folks that are used to doing it on their older bikes it does not seem to be a big deal. Either way you go, go, get that stock tensioner out before it ruins something else.
Mark P, Thanks for your response. Checking the chain tensioner once a year is certainly no big deal. My experience is that once the chain has stretched initially there is not much adjusting needed after that. I hope that the only bearing I have to replace is the inner primary bearing. I am concerned about the main drive gear bearing, the roller bearings inside the main drive gear the mainshaft itself and the primary chain too. This junk stock tensioner really has me P.O.'d.
BP
Old 11-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Mark from Baker here, I am obviously going to be bias here and tell you to buy the Baker. That being said I have heard good things about the Hayden as well. The biggest difference is ours is a manual adjuster and should be checked at least once a riding season but for folks that are used to doing it on their older bikes it does not seem to be a big deal. Either way you go, go, get that stock tensioner out before it ruins something else.
was wondering if you could install the manual adjuster without having to take the chain off,i do like the idea of the manual adjuster.just what is the problem with the h.d. adjuster some people say their chain was loose when they checked it.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Removing the chain is not that big of a deal. Get a Harley service manual and it will take you right through it. I haven't heard anyone complain about the stock adjuster being too loose but that would be way better than too tight. Either way it isn't working properly. I'm replacing mine.
BP
Old 11-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Hardheaded, you do not have to remove the chain to install it. We have heard a couple reports of loose chains and far more of chains that are over tightened.Each time you let off the throttle the chain slackens and then tightens back up as you get back on the throttle. The stock auto tensioner can ratchet up when the chain slackens but has no way of ratcheting back down when the chain is tight again, hence over tightening the chain. This is causing a lot of primary, clutch and maindrive gear bearings failures as well as some compensator issues.
thanks mark, ithought you had to take the comp. or the clutch basket loose to install,don't have a problem doing either was just wondering wasn't going to do to much to the new bike until it is out of warranty.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

bullgo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Installed the Hayden in 04 now have 60,000 miles on the Fatboy without any hitches or problems seems to be working well.
bullgo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
BigMo

Mohead1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ive had a HB-5 (hotbikes) hydraulic style in a Fatboy for many years of trouble free service. It uses hydaulic pressure to keep the chain adjusted, no over adjustment, auto on the chain stretch or wear, smooths out the shifts....its starting to show some wear on the shoe now, but hell its been 6 years or more if i recall right...
Old 11-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
BigMo

Mohead1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
oh....sorry....spelling on that last one....HB-125 tensioner, I just noticed I flubbed that one
Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
FNG :)

jtbrill632 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeer1 View Post
Mark P, Thanks for your response. Checking the chain tensioner once a year is certainly no big deal. My experience is that once the chain has stretched initially there is not much adjusting needed after that. I hope that the only bearing I have to replace is the inner primary bearing. I am concerned about the main drive gear bearing, the roller bearings inside the main drive gear the mainshaft itself and the primary chain too. This junk stock tensioner really has me P.O.'d.
BP
I think you have good reason to be concerned about the mainshaft bearing. Mine was bad.
I'm not 100% sold on the theory that the stock tensioner is causing all these problems, but, I hope it is. I'm spending the $125.00 for the Hayden, for the peace of mind, not having to always be worrying that the stock tensioner has over tightened the chain.
jtbrill632 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

jbxmn wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the Hayden in three bikes with a total of 170,000 with not one problem.
jbxmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

i'm talking about the hayden bt07 with the new heavier springs their are sending out now for the new bikes,chain seems to run awlfull tight with the new springs
Old 12-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

I just finished assembling my primary. I installed a Screamin Eagle compensator sprocket kit, new primary chain, Hayden M6BT-07 tensioner, and a new inner primary bearing and seal. The Hayden tensioner with the new primary chain is very tight. A little less than 1/4" with no shims where they say to measure it. It is supposed to be adjusted with the shims to 3/8". I assume that it will loosen up a little as the chain stretches and the shoe wears. I had a lot of growling noise coming from the primary. Everything I took out looked good. I haven't started the bike yet so I don't know if I fixed the problem or not yet. Crossed fingers.
BP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.