2008 transmission bearing : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

jtbrill632 wants to know Dino or Syn?
2008 transmission bearing

My 08 Electra Glide with 60,000 miles is currently in the shop having the transmission main bearing and the inner primary bearing replaced. The mechanic said this is at least the 8th one he has done this year, all in the 30 to 60 thousand mile range. He said the bearing Harley is using is junk. As of yet I haven't been able to locate an after market replacement.
When I started having issues, I started doing internet searches, this forum as well as all the other H-D forums are full of people that are experiencing the same issues that I am.
In the new issue of American Iron Mag. there is an artical about the Baker DD6 transmission. In the artical the author states "there is a quiet retrofit going on of the 08-2012 six speed transmissions". Then he states that subject will be for another issue. I'd like to know if anyone knows what he is speaking of?
It seems to me that these bearings should last virtually forever. This is going to be very expensive!
jtbrill632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

I tried to edit my post. The retrofit was for 08-2010. (I think)
Old 11-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired TMCM(SS)

DoctorDee wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just had the same thing on my 08 FXSTC at 29990 miles. I asked the tech about any better bearings being available and he said no.

Last edited by DoctorDee; 11-12-2012 at 02:20 AM. Reason: added info
DoctorDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

bpeer1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have an 08 Streetglide. It has a lot of noise coming out of the inner primary. My guess is it's the inner primary mainshaft bearing. I also believe it is not a bad bearing issue that is causing these bearings to go bad. I think it is the stock auto primary chain adjuster ratcheting up too tight and torqueing the mainshaft sideways to the point of bearing failure. I will be replacing the stock auto chain adjuster with either the Hayden M6BT-07 or the manual adjuster from Baker.
BP
bpeer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

mgb939 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbrill632 View Post
My 08 Electra Glide with 60,000 miles is currently in the shop having the transmission main bearing and the inner primary bearing replaced. The mechanic said this is at least the 8th one he has done this year, all in the 30 to 60 thousand mile range. He said the bearing Harley is using is junk. As of yet I haven't been able to locate an after market replacement.
When I started having issues, I started doing internet searches, this forum as well as all the other H-D forums are full of people that are experiencing the same issues that I am.
In the new issue of American Iron Mag. there is an artical about the Baker DD6 transmission. In the artical the author states "there is a quiet retrofit going on of the 08-2012 six speed transmissions". Then he states that subject will be for another issue. I'd like to know if anyone knows what he is speaking of?
It seems to me that these bearings should last virtually forever. This is going to be very expensive!
I don't believe Donny will talk about main shaft brgs, but I hope he does. I think he is going to talk about the helical cut 5th gear that came with the '10's and up that will retrofit to the '06-'09's. Everybody is squawking about the noisey spur 5th gear that H-D replaced with the helical cut gear for the '10 models.

2009 FLHTCU A Black Ultra Classic
HD Tall Boy Seat
Ness Big Sucker A/C
V&H Slip-ons
V&H Fuel-Pak
Stage 1 HD Download
HD Oil Cooler
HD Oil Temp Gauge
Soos 1" floorboard ext.
mgb939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am replacing the chain tensioner (with the Hayden). The mainshaft bearing was also bad and the clutch hub had several broken teeth. Three failed parts, parts that I feel should never fail.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark p View Post
Mark from Baker here, Bpeer is right the fault lies in the tensioner not the bearing. We also have a replacement bearing door for your stock trans. Any questions give me a cal 517-339-3835.
Thanks

Mark
do you have a replacement for the main bearing ?
dont you guys use the same bearing the moco does?
dont get me wrong the DDT7 is sweet ,and I lust after one,just wondering if you have a better double roller bearing.
I pulled mine apart and replaced it at 60,000. the old one was fine. it made me feel better,but it wasent necessary in my case.
I run a 49 tooth basket and my primary always runs loose with A stock 2011 style tensioner.
I will be adding your Baker primary adjuster in the future.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark p View Post
We do not have a replacement bearing, we send stock style bearings with our DD7. Never say never though we are not thrilled with the design and would like to beef it up. Our engineers have their hands full right now but we will see what the future holds.
nice to hear your still working on it. getting rid of the plastic cage double row bearing and replacing it with a steel cage single row bearing like the 5 sp would be bullet proof.
it looks like it would take a casting change though.
thanks for the update
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired TMCM(SS)

DoctorDee wants to know Dino or Syn?
Exactly the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbrill632 View Post
I am replacing the chain tensioner (with the Hayden). The mainshaft bearing was also bad and the clutch hub had several broken teeth. Three failed parts, parts that I feel should never fail.
Same parts failed on mine.
DoctorDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
My 07 has been down for 2 years. I put it on the lift a couple months ago, and hopefully will finish heating my shop soon. I suspect tranny bearing, only makes noise when rolling, but doesn't mater if if in gear or not.

If the tensioner is putting force on it, we are in for the same problem again.

I did see the Jims or Baker was selling improved side doors. On another forum there was a huge thread about the bearings. Something about f a g bearing, name of the brand. The nanny software would probably censor the company name.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

BIGDAWG57 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Exclamation Primary Bearing failure

I have a 2010 FLHTK Ultra Ltd,purchased 20-Mar-2010.
Now, at 50,000 km, I have acute left side bearing noises.
Tech at local Dealer said"inner primary bearing"
Yuma AZ at 45,000 km dealer quoted Harley's
"BIG TWIN NEUTRAL RATTLE " bulletin
as the cause for the then minor noise.
Good thing I bought 5 more years extended service plan last Dec
BIGDAWG57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

bpeer1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
My 08 FLHX has 24 k miles & has a lot of noise coming out of the primary area any time the bike is running. I have removed the inner primary. I thought the auto chain tensioner was going to have the chain too tight but not so. The inner primary bearing does not seem to be bad either. (Can they be bad & not look or feel bad?)The inner bearing race looks good. I disassembled the clutch and checked the clutch hub bearing and it turns easily with no catches or play in it. I have turned the mainshaft by hand and can't feel any catch or roughness there and with the wheel off the ground and turning the transmission pulley I can't feel any roughness in the trans. mainshaft bearing. The pri. chain looks good. Has a tight spot but not bad. Stock compensator looks good also. There is a nick on the inner primary cover. Looks like it was done by the ring gear or something got between the cover and the ring gear. I am going to replace the in. pri. bearing & inner race, pri chain, tensioner. Comments or suggestions would be appreciated. BP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000501.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	75157  
bpeer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Slick03 H-D wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've got the Hayden tensioner ordered for my 2013 just so I can take one of the issues away that help cause failures..and what H-D doesn't know, doesn't hurt me, so if I have a bearing problem somewhere down the road, I'll stick the factory tensioner back in and let my forever warranty deal with it...lol
H-D Ventilator air cleaner Dyno by Doc/98hp & 107tq
CVO adjustable rear shocks
Leather C&C seat
Freedom 8" dark smoked windshield
Painted inner fairing
Streamliner boards/pegs
Nostalgic bag rails
10" Yaffe mini apes
Plus a lot more to come much to my wife's dismay

Slick03 H-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement