86 FXR trans updating? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

CMaD wants to know Dino or Syn?
86 FXR trans updating?

I am wanting to update the old tappered shaft transmission in my 86 FXR. Was wondering if anyone on here has done this before and/or has any info on doing this, ex.. can i keep my trans case and just swap internals? whats the best year parts to look for? can i use my inner and outer primary cases? any info will help.
CMaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

omgtkk wants to know Dino or Syn?
This winter I'll be doing something similar; I'm installing a Baker OD six in my '86 FXRD. To go from tapered shaft to splined you will have to get new tranny internals with the splined mainshaft and will also have to replace the entire clutch assembly with a later model assembly with splined keyway. I believe '89-91 would be a drop-in. I'm going with a Baker SP8 complete unit, but that is just my preference.
Tranny case and your primary cases should be fine. I'm not positive if your lever actuated clutch arm will be compatible or not. I recommend dumping it for a ball and ramp right side cover. I picked one up on Ebay for $40. Rumors have it that the actuating finger on the stock '86 set-up is a real weak spot.
omgtkk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Dan89FLSTC wants to know Dino or Syn?
No problem just swapping internals, any 5 speed gearset will fit into your case.

`90 or later will have a splined mainshaft.

If you use a `90-`93 clutch your primary and starter gears will remain the same.
Dan89FLSTC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

why was this moved, it is bike specific having to do with a FXR?
Old 10-31-2012, 04:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMaD View Post
why was this moved, it is bike specific having to do with a FXR?
It is not bike specific, this information applies to all 5 speed HDs...
Old 10-31-2012, 06:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC View Post
It is not bike specific, this information applies to all 5 speed HDs...
This does not apply to TC 5 speeds nor softail 5 speeds, thanks for all the help, I'll get my info elsewhere.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
This does not apply to TC 5 speeds nor softail 5 speeds, thanks for all the help, I'll get my info elsewhere.
The information I gave you applies to all 5 speeds in all big twins.

Softail, Bagger, FXR, Evo or TC, 5 speed transmission guts are interchangeable.

But feel free to get your information elsewhere.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 10-31-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Krowbar wants to know Dino or Syn?
They moved one of my post to that was pretty FXR specific. Just roll with it.

1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Krowbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowbar View Post
They moved one of my post to that was pretty FXR specific. Just roll with it.
I am rolling with it, to other forums to get my info. Not impressed with this forum at all and most likely wont be back. Some people on here think they know stuff but clearly dont.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

vindex1963 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
I am rolling with it, to other forums to get my info. Not impressed with this forum at all and most likely wont be back. Some people on here think they know stuff but clearly dont.
Temper temper.
You were given good information.
Not coming back is OK.

Please vote for Ride of the Month

Have a question about the site look here.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 Ultra
vindex1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
JLH

JLH wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have use of this thread. I have an 87 FXLR that I would like to upgrade as well. I just have to get going with the upgrades and begin the search.
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
I have use of this thread. I have an 87 FXLR that I would like to upgrade as well. I just have to get going with the upgrades and begin the search.
Lots of folks here ready to help you out.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark p View Post
Man was he touchy.Let's see FXR, short temper, does not trust others, must be HA. Come on back when you cool down brother we are here to help.
I couldn`t figure out why he even posted a question when he already knew all the answers...
Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

hbever wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am still wondering about the # of teeth for the starter gear remaining the same between an 86 and a 90. The 86 starter clutch is external and is moved by the lever and external solenoid system. A 90 has internal clutch and solenoid with jackshaft system. So far the only responders have 89s which are similiar to 90s in the starter system. Some one doing an 85 or 86 has ALOT of differences to overcome. Does a 90 clutch bolt into an 85 if all you replaced was the keyed mainshaft with a splined one? Absolutely no other mods required? My 85 starter clutch will mesh perfectly with a 90 ring gear? That is the juice we all desire!
hbever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
I am still wondering about the # of teeth for the starter gear remaining the same between an 86 and a 90. The 86 starter clutch is external and is moved by the lever and external solenoid system. A 90 has internal clutch and solenoid with jackshaft system. So far the only responders have 89s which are similiar to 90s in the starter system. Some one doing an 85 or 86 has ALOT of differences to overcome. Does a 90 clutch bolt into an 85 if all you replaced was the keyed mainshaft with a splined one? Absolutely no other mods required? My 85 starter clutch will mesh perfectly with a 90 ring gear? That is the juice we all desire!
What model bike?

5 Speed?

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-29-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.