Inner Primary Bearing Failure : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 02:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Inner Primary Bearing Failure

The inner primary bearing on my 2009 Ultra was getting noisy. The Factory replaced it even though my bike was out of warranty by 4 months. My buddies 2010 Ultra also got noisy and was replaced at the same Dealer. He also got the compensator sprocket replaced (They did not replace the Compensator on mine) His was also replaced out of warranty (by three weeks) Rumor has it that there is a problem with the inner primary bearings on the 2009 and maybe early 2010 models. Anybody else have there inner primary bearing replaced? Got to give props to the dealer and the factory for standing up and fixing these bikes out of warranty.

Let me just add my bike has a little over 25k and my budies a little over 20k miles.

Last edited by 1L243; 10-03-2011 at 02:23 AM.
1L243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Just Wanna Ride

kingsoftail wants to know Dino or Syn?
I also have a 2009 Ultra. Inner primary bearing and seal were replaced under original two year warrranty two weeks prior to expiration. While apart, I had the the dealer replace stock compensator with SE compensator. Also had front wheel bearings replaced under warranty at 17k miles. Just replaced rear tire. Rear wheel bearing on brake rotor side was toast and was replaced. Maybe Chinese bearings?
kingsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

How did you know the front wheel bearingings were going out? I assume they discoverd the rear when they checked it during the tire change? My buddies Compensator was replaced with the SE one as well. Factory paid for it. They must have discovered something on his that they did not on mine because they did not replace my compensator...
Old 10-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

HogDreamer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1L243 View Post
How did you know the front wheel bearingings were going out?
Just had my front wheel bearing replaced last week. Didn't have any symptoms that I was aware of. Told them the bike was making a "whirling" noise when slowing down from highway speeds.

Ended up needing a main shaft bearing and front wheel bearing. Not sure which one was making the noise I was hearing.
HogDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
I hope my inner primary bearing is bad, if not I suspect its my tranny. I got a noise when moving, doesn't change if brake or clutch is engaged, not dependent on gear. 2007 Ultra. Replaced front bearing already. To lazy to proceed, has been parked for a year. Maybe this winter.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
FNG :)

Dsvet1991 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Dsvet1991

2010 Ultra Classic with a 96
Just had my inner primary bearing replaced two weeks ago. Had a loud noise when the bike was cold that dimished when it got warm. It was also noisy when i was leaning left in a curve. Got a feeling it was the cause of some other issues i was having with the bike that are now gone.
Dsvet1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
FNG :)

blumtns101 wants to know Dino or Syn?
LOL....I have a 08 Street Glide and my IPB has went out 3 times now (each time so far H-D dealer has replaced it and says they are extending me a big favor (due to out of warranty now) and because NO ONE has had this problem but me. 1st-15,000 miles, 2nd 32,000 miles, 3rd-45,000, and is on its way out again and she's got 56,000 miles on her now. They told me the last time was it, they wouldnt replace it anymore for free. I told them they are fixing the failure NOT the problem. I believe I will fix it on my own this next time so I can find the true cause....hopefully. Any ideas? I run Mobil-1 V-Twin 20W50 full syn primary and engine, and Spectro 75/140 6-speed hd trans oil (all every 3,000)
blumtns101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Location: Southeastern, NC close to Myrtle Beach, but still in NC
mythree wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a whining noise but only in 4th gear and above ...? 09 FLHXi any idea or is this normal? Just got this bike used 6000 miles original owner had it serviced prior to sale to me and I talked to the dealer said bike was pristine. Took awhile to get used to the TBW but got that down now.

I had heard these new gear boxes whine at higher speeds so I'm just askin' not trying to buy problems ...
mythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Some bikes had a 5th gear whine. My buddies 2008 had it bad but it went away after a few thousand miles. If it's your inner primary bearing it will make noise when idling and then go away when you put it in gear.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Location: Southeastern, NC close to Myrtle Beach, but still in NC
mythree wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1L243 View Post
Some bikes had a 5th gear whine. My buddies 2008 had it bad but it went away after a few thousand miles. If it's your inner primary bearing it will make noise when idling and then go away when you put it in gear.
Good to know - thanks...
mythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement