Oil in the Primary with internal belt drive : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

charrier90 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oil in the Primary with internal belt drive

I have a '96 Softail Springer that was converted from chain to an internal belt drive at the beginning of this Summer (I think it was a BDL kit, but not ceratain). It is my understanding that this is supposed to be a dry system, but when I went to chage the derby cover, I found the bottom of the primary was full of oil/black sludge. Could this be a leak or mechanical malfunction or did someone make a mistake and fill the primary with oil? Looking for some opinions before I go in to the shop that did the install with guns blazing (metaphorically, of course).
charrier90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

jammerx wants to know Dino or Syn?
probably engine oil from the main seal?
Old 09-19-2011, 04:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Anti-RUB

petrock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammerx View Post
probably engine oil from the main seal?
+1, assuming it is supposed to be a dry system. I'd contact the belt drive system manufacturer and make sure.
Python Staggered Exhaust w/ Quiet Baffles
HD Primary Chain Auto-Tensioner
SE Hydraulic Cam Plate & High-Flow oil pump
SERT

Wish List (in order of "Gotta Have It"-ness):
14" Ape/Gimp Hangers (have, but needs install)
Black Braided Throttle/Fuel/Brake/Clutch lines
Black Powdercoated Fork Sliders and Triple Trees
My Two Front Teeph
petrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would ask the shop if they installed the crank seal backwards like you are supposed to with belt drives. The crank seal should have the metal end facing out.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

@petrock - Are there any belt systems that require oil? All the setups I've seen are dry and say that an oil leak will ruin the belt?

@TXCHOP - I read something about reversing the seal in another thread. I will definately bring that up when I go to the shop.

Thanks for the replies. I am definately no mechanic, and I hate looking like a dumb-ass when talking to mechanics. The shop has a good reputation for standing behind their work, so hopefully it won't be a problem. It is, however, in the process of changing ownership and I have no idea how the new guy will be to deal with. I figure the more I know, the better.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ajvague wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCHOP View Post
I would ask the shop if they installed the crank seal backwards like you are supposed to with belt drives. The crank seal should have the metal end facing out.
+1 here, and belts don't like oil…can only be from sprocket shaft seal or tranny main shaft. Unless some tool actually put oil in there.

Wait a minute…was your primary cover sealed? Belts actually get tighter when hot and usually need ventilation. I use tiny little washers to space the cover from the inner. Wouldn't hold fluid that way...
ajvague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

@ajvague - Thanks for the reply. Yes, the primary was sealed. I was in the process of installing vented Derby and Inspection covers when I discovered the problem.

I haven't had a chance to bring it in to the shop yet. Been riding the "Backup bike". I plan on pulling the tins off for new paint once the flakes fly, so I figure I will bring it in an have it all done at the same time.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ajvague wants to know Dino or Syn?
10-4 on the venting. Did you find your leak?
ajvague is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement