Stripped out threads in Transmisson case : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Ultra Hog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Stripped out threads in Transmisson case

I have a 5 speed transmission on my 02 Ultra Glide. I was putting a piece of chrome on the right side to transition between the engine and tranny.... Anyway, I have pulled the 5/16 18 threads out of one of the lower bolts holding the right side cover to the transimission. The bolt goes through the exhaust mounting bracket, trought the right side cover and threads into the transmission. My questions is can I resonably helicoil the transmission case without removing the side cover since, the side cover is not threaded and is about 1/4'' thick?

Thanks for any advice Ultra Hog
Ultra Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

LowRiderCustom wants to know Dino or Syn?
If the clearance hole is large enough for the heli-coil to be inserted into the threads you can do it with the cover on. If not you'll have to remove the cover or drill a larger clearance hole in it.
LowRiderCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

kelly wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Hog View Post
I have a 5 speed transmission on my 02 Ultra Glide. I was putting a piece of chrome on the right side to transition between the engine and tranny.... Anyway, I have pulled the 5/16 18 threads out of one of the lower bolts holding the right side cover to the transimission. The bolt goes through the exhaust mounting bracket, trought the right side cover and threads into the transmission. My questions is can I resonably helicoil the transmission case without removing the side cover since, the side cover is not threaded and is about 1/4'' thick?

Thanks for any advice Ultra Hog
this is not the definative answer. Helicoils will require you to enlarge the hole and that is where a problem may occur. I would first determine what is the next size metric or standard screw you tap the hole to before drilling a bigger hole.
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRiderCustom View Post
If the clearance hole is large enough for the heli-coil to be inserted into the threads you can do it with the cover on. If not you'll have to remove the cover or drill a larger clearance hole in it.
I have been all through all the Fasten-all catalogues to find thin walled helicoils and from what I saw I backed off that route because IMO there would not be enough aluminum meat to hold the insert. oversize tapping is the fastest -- and the slightly oversized replacement bolt does not detract from uniformity.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I agree with Kelly. I'd try running the tap in without even drilling. Check sizes carefully, I think 8mm will be your closest but check it out yourself to make sure. Don't force the tap.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Kelley why are you quoting me, I didn't say anything about using a thin walled heli-coil. As for using a larger screw, the next size up is 3/8-16 which is the same size OD as a 5/16-18 heli-coil so that's not a solution. If he drills a 3/8 hole in the cover that will allow him to use a standard 5/16-18 heli-coil without removing the cover.

Jammer an 8mm screw is the same size as 5/16 so that isn't going to work.

Last edited by LowRiderCustom; 03-03-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I stand corrected...
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

Ultra Hog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for all the replies.

I am trying to determine if the side plate and gasket must be or can be enlarged without haveing to remove the side plate. As I understand transmission shafts and gears are attached to the sde plate and therefore would have to be removed. This is something I probably cannot do without pay a wrench.

Ultra Hog
Ultra Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Hog View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

I am trying to determine if the side plate and gasket must be or can be enlarged without haveing to remove the side plate. As I understand transmission shafts and gears are attached to the sde plate and therefore would have to be removed. This is something I probably cannot do without pay a wrench.

Ultra Hog
The first thing I would consider is what are YOU going to do if the helicoil does not work. In all probibility it will but again what are your options if it doesn't. You are going to have to step it up to a 3/8" hole in order for a 5/16" helicoil to fit.

Secondly, from what you have included in your initial post this bolt not only is eventially going to hold the cover in place but it also has to support the exhaust system so that has to be considered as well. That being said the finished resolution is going to have to be substantial enough to remedy your situation.

I wouldn't be in a hurry and run out and start drilling until I reseached all my options

Just my opinion

Good Luck Bro
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Frogfarmer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Try a longer bolt of the same size or a stud with a nut before you get the drill. You may still have threads in the hole just deeper.
Frogfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

DBChoppers wants to know Dino or Syn?
Pop the trap door off and use a Time sert , never use Heli Coils

Diamond Bar Choppers
(909) 861-8833
DBChoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

A time sert requires a larger hole to be drilled and tapped than a heli-coil. That's the best way to go if you have enough room for it, but it doesn't sound like he does.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

2000FiveOh wants to know where he is and how he got here
Pulling the cover and using a helicoil is your best bet. Other than pulling the cover, if you have enough thread left to catch 3 or 4 you could red loctite a stud in there.
2000 Road King, 96", K&N AC, Andrews 26G cams, Pre-EPA SE Slip Ons, 3:37 Primary gearing, EFI to carb, 105,000 and still rolling
2000FiveOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRiderCustom View Post
Kelley why are you quoting me, I didn't say anything about using a thin walled heli-coil. As for using a larger screw, the next size up is 3/8-16 which is the same size OD as a 5/16-18 heli-coil so that's not a solution. If he drills a 3/8 hole in the cover that will allow him to use a standard 5/16-18 heli-coil without removing the cover.
No no no...not coming against you at all. I am suggesting a process that could be considered before your method. I don't have my tap chart in front of me...Again, my answer is not definative. I will say though, I recall he can chase the hole with a 5/16 drill, using a cordless drill going slowly and then ever so slowy tap it with a 3/8's.

An advantage to this is he won't have fret about drilling a hole to 3/8s and contend with getting it square. Again, I'm not confident there is enough case material. Yes there is enough material there to drill out but structurally I don't think that's going to do much other than handle the load of just a place holder for a bolt.

What I don't want to have happen is this guy having to get someone to pull his tranny at a bill rate of 11 to 13 hrs. and then having to go through with ordering a housing plus all the pressed bearings so forth and so on.

There's just not much room for error on any decision or action on this problem without the potential of a major aw sh!t. Fair enough?

Last edited by kelly; 03-04-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement