Dry Clutch : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

buzzard59 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Dry Clutch

I just became the owner of a 1984 FXST. Interesting year and model, first evo, nearly the last of the 4spd kickers and chain drive, first soft tail. It's pretty much a stock, original bike, and has 29K miles. The clutch slipped a bit, so I adjusted things as stated in the manual, seems to have cleared any problem for the moment. The set screw that hits the operating rod in the center of the clutch had no slack in it. I don't know how long the bike was operated like that, so I'm assuming I may be putting a clutch in it soon. I was suprised to find that this bike has a dry clutch in it. This dry clutch was used only half the year in '84, so there probably aren't many around. I have a couple of questions about this dry clutch. Are they noted for problems? Is it common for owners to convert to the later wet clutch? Are clutch plates available for this dry clutch? Anyone have experience with this ? Thanks, Buzzard
buzzard59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

bigbadal wants to know Dino or Syn?
I don't have any answers for you, but I'm interested in that clutch situation. Maybe you can answer questions for me. Is it an enclosed primary? Since it is a dry clutch, is it a chain or belt drive in the primary? If it is a chain drive, how does one keep the chain lubricated and also keep the clutch plates dry??
Alan
bigbadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

buzzard59 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The primary case looks just like any other. The primary chain is lubed by a line from the oil pump, which has an orifice in it to control flow rate. Then there is a sump in the bottom of the primary case, where oil is scavenged back to the oil tank, by the pump. If everything works like it was designed, there is never any standing oil in the primary case. The clutch plates are supposed to remain dry. This is stock Harley Davidson, used for half of one year, 1984, on the first Evos.
buzzard59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

bigbadal wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard59 View Post
The primary case looks just like any other. The primary chain is lubed by a line from the oil pump, which has an orifice in it to control flow rate. Then there is a sump in the bottom of the primary case, where oil is scavenged back to the oil tank, by the pump. If everything works like it was designed, there is never any standing oil in the primary case. The clutch plates are supposed to remain dry. This is stock Harley Davidson, used for half of one year, 1984, on the first Evos.
Wow. That is very interesting, I hope to see one of those someday. Maybe when you replace your clutch plates (if you ever have too), you could take some pictures and post them so those of us who have never seen that setup can take a peek. Thanks for the explanation.

Alan
bigbadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I had run a dry clutch in my 80 shovel for many years no problems. It was sealed off from the engine oil so I just kept the primary oil level below the clutch plates. I never liked the idea of running that oil through the engine. If the plates get gunked up with too much oil splatter, clean them with brake cleaner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement