ultima 6 speed review : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

mafosa wants to know Dino or Syn?
ultima 6 speed review

o.k. during thanksgiving i decided to do this 6 speed conversion.
never did a tranny swap before. i made to tools as i went along.

took me about 14 hours split between two days. ate thanksgiving dinner at a local diner at 8opm. finished it up the next day.

i used redline tranny fluid. i was bitting my nails when i first took off let alone at 70mph when i shifted to 6th.

the gears where quiete, no reall issues. it has a different feel to shifting, but i think once the gears break in it will feel even better.

the neutral light does come on in forth gear though, mon. ill order the right switch (wish i new this while the tank was off). anyways, for the price and learning curve its worth it for now.
larry
mafosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 02:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
FNG :)

brt650 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hello mofosa,
That's good news. Great effort. I'm also fitting an Ultima 6 speed.
I broke the drive belt and decided to fit a box while I was at it.
I hope I have the same luck.
Cheers
brt650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

UnSafe wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mafosa- What tools / How did you make? And, Did you hit any snags or difficulties doing a home swap?
UnSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

tools

hey unsafe,
i all ready owned a bearing installer kit from harbor freight. out of that set i used the smaller clam style bearing puller for the inner race. on the counter shaft bearing used only the duel fork piece on removing and installing that bearing (added some washers).
the main gear i used a rubber malat and with my other hand pulled the main gear and lightly tapped the tip (with nut on the tread) of the shaft on the other side and it came right out.
the main bearings just hand pressed in. just worked my fingers around the outer race and it walked itself out.
the old bearing was grinded down enough to slip back in the bore. now i used that bearing to aid in the new one ( used red locktight) as a lubricant).
on the new main gear, i used a long bolt, washers and a oversized washer on one side and a piece of pvc piping that rest flat on the inside race with a large washer and lined up everthing and tightened up the nut to press the main gear in.

the only tool i bought was the mainshaft 1 7/8 ext. socket.
you do need to take of the top cover and drum off, to lock two gears at the same time to loosen the main bolt.

when your ready to do this drop me a line i have some "tips" that will speed up things and make it easier. hope that helps a little.
larry
Old 12-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks! And be sure to post the PN# and source for the correct switch. A search of past Ultima gearset swaps revealed the same neutral light problem. I'll probably get around to a swap in Jan or Feb.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
I don't want to be the devils advocate here but is there replacement parts for the Ultima trannys and who sells them.
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

according to jireh cycles he has all the parts.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

o.k... so its been 5 months now. i have developed a 6 gear whine at 65mph. less noticable at higher speeds. for some reson its harder to get from first to neutral. i can catch it from second coming to a stop, but first to neutral is now a struggle. i changed clutches and readjusted eveything but to no prevail. i also pulled the top cover and rechecked the spawl arm. its centered in third gear. guess ill just live with it.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

BR90FXR wants to know Dino or Syn?
6th gear whine

Had an Ultima 6 spped with the same problem turned out that the bearings inside the main drive gear went bad. Pull the top off, and use one of those teloscoping magnets to get down to the bottom of the case and see if it picks up metal shavings or needle bearings. I let mine go too long and the bearings buggered up a couple of gears. Since it was covered under warranty I got another gear set for the cost of shipping. Another sign of bad bearings is oil leaking from the mianshaft seal behind the pulley. Hope this helps. BR
BR90FXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
djl
IronButt

djl wants to know Dino or Syn?
From what I have read, Jireh/Ultima will replace that transmisison, no questions asked, if you are experiencing operational problems. I would be giving them a call. I know it's a PITA to swap out but if they will replace it, better than a sharp stick in the eye, plus you get a chance to establish a new "personal best" for the time it takes to do the R/R.
djl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Angry throw out bearing

o.k. i messed with this for most of the day. i found that the throe out bearing disinagrated. i was able to use the stock center bearing and reused ultimas outer bearing race. i rode it for a short period, its better but not 100%.

this why the clutch kept changing the feel and engauging points. took me all day to trouble shoot this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 020 (Medium).jpg
Views:	214
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	65253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 021 (Medium).jpg
Views:	196
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	65254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 023 (Medium).jpg
Views:	159
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	65255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 026 (Medium).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	65256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 024 (Medium).jpg
Views:	143
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	65257  

Old 05-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Bummer! Will Ultima cover the replacement bearings?

Maybe worth pulling everything and replacing all of the bearings, bushings and wear parts?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

hey unsafe, well im going to replace the the long push rod, another throwout bearing w/ rod and clutch adjuster screw. i think these got cherry hot and where compermised. i dont think im going to blame utltima. just one of those things..
however.. if it doesnt totaly fix my problem. i will gut the bearings. ill inspect everything along the way.
larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement