found this article on 6 speed interesting - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
Liker of Mid 60's FLH's

ChromeWelder wants to know Dino or Syn?
paragraphs.....

Near Ouray Colorado...June 2009
ChromeWelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Uffda wants to know Dino or Syn?
I too am looking for a good enough excuse to try a Baker DD7 on my 09 FLHX, but after I put AMS Oil in the tranny, my 5th gear whine went away. Dang.

Gonna try to get to 120/110 or so with a 107 build this fall. Hopefully that will allow me to tear up the stock tranny.
D&D Fat Cat 2-1
T-Max w/Autotune
License plates made by the Governor
Uffda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

1550vt wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don't beat me up too bad here guys....just making a point for the sake of discussion. Some of you "younger generation" should have been around when we went from the 4-speed to the 5-speed. Now that was a giant step in our minds. What in the world would you do with 7-slots other than shift the thing on a constant basis? As it is now, many 6-speed equipped bikes can't even pull 6th. unless they are headed down-hill and the complaints from the early 6-speed model years were "engine lugging and 6th. is useless". I realize they (and we) have all worked on the gearing and the 6-speed is now pretty much standard issue. I can see a need for 7th. to close the ratio if you want to go into tractor pulling, or cruising at 95. To me...the less junk-in-the-trunk the better.
1550vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
Fastest Chkn N the South!

Colonel Sanders wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 73" Superglide with a 4 speed. A very clunky tranny to say the least but the gear spacing is kinda cool to me. It's no speed demon but lots of fun to ride. Would I want a 4 speed in my Deuce? Probably not. But I wouldn't want a 6-speed either (I've ridden several and some for alot of miles) and I damn sure wouldn't want a 7 speed! I'm not knockin' either. It's all preference. It's just that I like the wider gear spacing. I like the way my RPMs pull back on a leisurely shift. I guess it's kind of relaxing.

I went up two teeth on the front belt sprocket and that's all it took to get my cruising RPMs where I like them. A poor man's OD I call it.
CV51 carb/intake/AC
R&R Stage IV heads
10.8:1 CR
JE -10cc pistons
S&S 640 cams
Axtell cylinders
JIMS/Darkhorse crank
Rivera Pro Clutch
DTT ignition
Hooker Troublemaker pipes
137/134 STD 134/130 SAE
Colonel Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

Dan89FLSTC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
I like the way my RPMs pull back on a leisurely shift. I guess it's kind of relaxing.
:
Well said...
Dan89FLSTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

rbabos wants to know Dino or Syn?
Due to the gloom and doom of this trans thread I got to the point of staring at the cover of the trans from other work being done. Didn't want to know, but had to know kinda thing. Pulled the cover expecting a big pile of sludge on the lip. Clean as a whistle and not one hint of any form of debri. This bike has 32000 kilometers on it and 13 with the 113". I suppose it can and does happen with this bearing failing but apparently not all of them. Been running Ams 75/140 , (not that it matters that much) since breakin and I've never heard the 5th gear whine many speak of. At least I don't have to worry about the trans for a while.
Ron
Old 11-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1550vt View Post
Don't beat me up too bad here guys....just making a point for the sake of discussion. Some of you "younger generation" should have been around when we went from the 4-speed to the 5-speed. Now that was a giant step in our minds. What in the world would you do with 7-slots other than shift the thing on a constant basis? As it is now, many 6-speed equipped bikes can't even pull 6th. unless they are headed down-hill and the complaints from the early 6-speed model years were "engine lugging and 6th. is useless". I realize they (and we) have all worked on the gearing and the 6-speed is now pretty much standard issue. I can see a need for 7th. to close the ratio if you want to go into tractor pulling, or cruising at 95. To me...the less junk-in-the-trunk the better.
How many of us had even earlier trans? They were 3sp and then 3 sp with a reverse for side hack and servicars. Those were a real dream.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
My 07 is making a noise only when moving. I replaced the front wheel bearing and adjusted the belt. Sounds like the primary area, which is my next place. Having a 2nd bike has made me lazy to open it up.

There was an article in some magazine a couple years ago, that the 07s could have bearing problems with the IDS, due to the vibrations. Its possible.

While I agree some page breaks would make it easier to read, its a good post and worth discsussion.

Whatever the noise, it chaps my rump cause I only got 37k on it.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #24 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
The next question for me is, once I identify this noise, do I trust the bike again or the design? Can I update it with something non Harley? I don't forgive failures very well. It did make it home, and was making a noise, so there was warning to inspect. But I was also on at 9k miles trip.

First I got to find out what the noise is though.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #25 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Coolmaker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1550vt View Post
As it is now, many 6-speed equipped bikes can't even pull 6th. unless they are headed down-hill and the complaints from the early 6-speed model years were "engine lugging and 6th. is useless"
I have the Baker DD-6, it shifts like a bike should, neutral is easy to find, and my bike pulls 6th gear like it used to pull the original 5th gear. Besides the Baker is quiet, much more so than the stock Harley 5 speed.
It is a win win situation for me, improved cruising, improved fuel mileage, less Monkey Azz. Just better all the way around.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
FNG :)

BIGDAWG57 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Exclamation failure of inner primary/clutch hub bearing

Thanks Big Birdie!
Well written,only one misspell,otherwise I found it very very easy to read,and informative.
BIGDAWG57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDAWG57 View Post
Thanks Big Birdie!
Well written,only one misspell,otherwise I found it very very easy to read,and informative.
One verb as noun, one missing comma, 3 missing spaces.

OP's last post was over 2 years ago.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

hardheaded wants to know Dino or Syn?
just wonder if HD has taken care of this problem?
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #29 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardheaded View Post
just wonder if HD has taken care of this problem?
What problem ?
The bearing is working fine in hd trannys and baker trannys.
People say a lot of things to promote labor.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #30 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Chief Davis57 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Love this thread. Especially how it just picks up where it left off 2 years ago. I am always interested in technical aspects and how we fix the most common problems. Some I think are caused by rough treatment and some by bad assembly. I would like to hear about warranty coverage as sometimes you get push back from dealers about whether it's covered or not...
Chief Davis57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement