Have to change starter ring gear => How to do? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

niterider69 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Have to change starter ring gear => How to do?

Hello!

I want to change my starter ring gear on a I guess post 98' primary and clutch assembly. Any tips?

Do I have to pull the complete primary drive => chain, chain sprocket at the crankshaft, chain tensioner etc. ?

Thanks for any help!

Bike: SCS frame (softail), RevTech 110 CUI, 5 speed tranny, BSL (Supertrapp) 2-2, 2 1/4" header pipes, 130/200 tires, lots of stocker rst billet parts
niterider69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

wydopn231 wants to know Dino or Syn?
yes you have to remove the clutch basket.To do this you have to remove the compansator nut.You will need a puller to bull basket(besure to remove clutch rod so you do not push it thru other side,may not be problem with tc it is with shovel).Then you will probaly need a press to remove and replace gear.I cant remember if its press fit or not.Ive only had to change one and its on open primary evo.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

60195 wants to know Dino or Syn?
You will have to remove the entire clutch system. You will NOT need any type of puller, but will need am impact wrench. Once the clutch basket is off the transmission shaft, the heads of rivets that hold the ring gear to the outer basket must be ground off and the rivets punched out. Then the ring gear can be lifted off. It is a simple operation.

The good ring gears come from Primo/Rivera and use Allen bolts instead of rivets. -Ed
60195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Deb

Deb wants to know Dino or Syn?
I did it without removing the clutch basket. Cut a piece of cardboard to fit around the basket and behind the gear and then wipe down the clutch with paint and body wax and grease remover so the tape will stick..tape clutch plates around the edge and put a round piece of cardboard over the clutch and tape. grind off the ends of the pins with an angle grinder and a cutoff wheel and remove ring gear. You will probably have to drill the aluminum a little larger to accomodate the new allen screws so save the cardboard.

THEN!! here's the tip that should make me RICH, RICH, RICH!!!! take a quarter inch allen wrench and a torch..a plumbers torch that you screw to the top of the propane bottle will do just fine.. and bend the allen wrench into about a 45 degree angle while heating the curve of the allen wrench. you want it to fit behind the clutch basket and stick out where you can put a pipe on it and really torque the bolts down on the new ring gear (assuming you are upgrading to lower gears..or not, whatever but bolting a new ring gear on). There is only oNE place the modified allen wrench will fit and that is to the far left of the basket.

Pull the spark plugs so you can put it in gear (the highest gear worked for me) and easily turn the wheel to position the clutch sprocket(ring gear) where you need it for each bolt to be accessible with the allen wrench. Jam the ring gear with a pry bar (I hand threaded all the bolts to make this possible and removed them one at a time to apply threadlocker to them as I tightened them) and apply a pipe to the allen wrench to properly tighten all the bolts..i went around twice.

Torque specs for the hex bolt through the jackshaft into the starter are 96 INCH/lbs or 7-9 ft/pounds. I bet you need a pinion gear also..and those torque specs are a beyotch to find so there you have it! ('scuse my language)

Hey, not bad for a newbie (tooting my own horn)!!

LOL!

Deb
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

calidude_dyna wants to know Dino or Syn?
thanks Deb great idea, I had drilled out the rivets and all then was about to remove all just to put the bolts in ...gonna try the torch on the allen....we'll let you know how it went...my 98 Dyna has eaten it's second starter pinion, so i went for the Compufire 10/84 set up, nice people on the phone and got the parts in one day...
calidude_dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

calidude_dyna wants to know Dino or Syn?
So on 5-15 I put in the new Compufire starter gear set, today 07-13 8000 mile later and it has eaten this set too...

Does anyone have any idea what the CAUSE could be?? I have replaced two stk pinions, and now the new will not break ones and still... and this is a stock 80 evo. replaced the outer primary guide bushing and all... i need a rope and pulley...sucks.
calidude_dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement