swap from 5 to 6 speed?? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Deafautotech wants to know Dino or Syn?
swap from 5 to 6 speed??

i own 2003 Harley Road king classic with 29,100 miles, it has 88" twin cams engine as had better low end torque performance as it is scream between 2,000 to 3,800 rpm. i never run my harley over 4,000 rpm for no reason. BUT i am ask for your opinion or advise that i am considering about swap from 5 speed transmission for 6 speed transmission that i can only swap the gearset... good idea or ???

Most of mileages are highway. so i think 6 speed transmission can help engine as little better MPG on highway but reduce the rpm as 200 to 400 rpm depend on gear ratio...

I will do all works myself if good idea to do 6 speed swap???

for Sample from Ultima Product:

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/6spdbuilder.htm depend who or where to buy: 400 to 600 dollars.

i know Baker transmission are great as strong and great warranty BUT out of my budget... 2,000 dollars

I am thinking about bump from 88" to 95" but i am not sure because 88" engine run good and no problems. so i just want let engine stay same thing until it need rebuild...
Deafautotech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

1997bagger wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have looked into the Ultima builders kit and havn't heard any negatives towards the budget build, I"m a little concerned about the higher 1st gear ratio and loaded, something you might research with the big bike. Many factory 6 speed owners are dropping a couple teeth (search "32 teeth") on the drive sprocket to make 6th gear a little more user friendly and have the same overdrive ratio as Ultima, Baker changes the drive ratio in it's kit, some items I have started weighing in.
1997bagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2009, 07:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Coolmaker wants to know Dino or Syn?
88" is a little light in power to pull the 6th gear IMHO, I did it and had to increase power, Baker makes a good tranny, I have the DD6, and used it with the 27 tooth comp gear. Works GREAT..
Old 11-29-2009, 07:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
0043--Licensed to Doof!

Geezer-Glide wants to know Dino or Syn?
The screamin eagle 6 speed is not an overdrive tranny, but the Baker DD6 is. I don't think you need a 6 speed with a stock or near stock 88 incher.

Two things to think about....
If you go 6 speed and don't like it, you can not reverse the Screamin' Eagle and put the 5 speed back in because you have to drill out one of the bearing bosses in the tranny case for a larger bearing.

If you put in a Baker DD6 and don't like it, just take it out and put the 5 speed back in. There are no case modifications.

I Doof, therefore I am.

D.F.F.D

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. YOU MAY NOW RETURN TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING. THANK YOU.
Geezer-Glide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

doc ock wants to know Dino or Syn?
After talking to an Indy I goto, a 6 speed is pretty much not worth doing. HD engine are built to run at 3000 rpms all day every day without problems. My Indy talk with Baisley and stated that if you run a motor below 2700 rpms with a 6 speed and twist the throttle you will lug the motor. So with that I saved my money and stayed with the 5 speed. Unless you run over 70 mph all the time I wouldn't do it. My bike 70 mph = 3000 rpm's which I rarely go over. I think this info is to be true because I was willing to spend money and the shop talk me out of it.
doc ock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
The screamin eagle 6 speed is not an overdrive tranny, but the Baker DD6 is.
Actually the DD6 is a direct drive trans, with 6th being direct and not over driven. It gains the ratio by over driving the primary.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Barney Biker wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have two riding buddys that went to the 6 speed trans.. Both 88 engines.
Both wish they had never done this. Don't like them.

Barney Biker
07 EG
Barney Biker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2009, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Skywarrior wants to know Dino or Syn?
Tell them to go to 95" and it will make a real differance.
Skywarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 07:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywarrior View Post
Tell them to go to 95" and it will make a real differance.
Or 103"..
Old 12-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

kennyflhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like mine

I have a 98 Road king with an S&S 6 speed & I love it. The motor is 80" ( blew up the 89" stroker!!) with 10:1 wiesco pistons, woods 6 cam (Thanks scott!!) S&S "E" carb & thunder header. Nothing special , & I have no problem pulling the 6 speed. The S&S trans. is 1:1 final drive with a 34 tooth pulley. Check out the gear ratios on thier web site & you'll see That even with the larger pulley, the 1st 5 gears are lower than the stock 5 speed & 6 has about a 200 rpm drop at 80 mph. 1st gear is real deep & is perfect for the bagger, real close ratio, no huge rpm drop between gears. The only draw bvack is all the case mods. Took me a day & 1/2 to put it in! Between the final drive ( trans. comes with light wieght 34T pulley) & primary choices, surely you can find a ratio that is perfect for your needs. Shifts smooth as silk & tough as nails. I love it & would never go back to the 5 speed, but if I wanted to, just put the stock 32T pulley on & 6 is stock 5th. Good luck.
kennyflhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 03:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
semi-retired

FatBobRob wants to know Dino or Syn?
seems like every week..........................

Just got an e/m from Baker.Looks like all their trann"s are on sale this week.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
dont do it! you have a very strong tranny and the ratios are really good for town. on the highway, you run right around peak tq for most mild builds.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

2000FiveOh wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deafautotech View Post
i own 2003 Harley Road king classic with 29,100 miles, it has 88" twin cams engine as had better low end torque performance as it is scream between 2,000 to 3,800 rpm. i never run my harley over 4,000 rpm for no reason. BUT i am ask for your opinion or advise that i am considering about swap from 5 speed transmission for 6 speed transmission that i can only swap the gearset... good idea or ???

Most of mileages are highway. so i think 6 speed transmission can help engine as little better MPG on highway but reduce the rpm as 200 to 400 rpm depend on gear ratio...

I will do all works myself if good idea to do 6 speed swap???

for Sample from Ultima Product:

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/6spdbuilder.htm depend who or where to buy: 400 to 600 dollars.

i know Baker transmission are great as strong and great warranty BUT out of my budget... 2,000 dollars

I am thinking about bump from 88" to 95" but i am not sure because 88" engine run good and no problems. so i just want let engine stay same thing until it need rebuild...
If you plan on staying stock it really depends on your primary gearing. A stock 88 incher with tall gears, I wouldn't do it. You'll end up shifting back and forth from 5th to 6th all day. You'll either need a nice jump in power or different gearing to get what you want out of a 6th gear. I run 3:37 primary gearing and would love to run a 6 speed with those gears. Best of both worlds!

BTW where did you see the Ultima set up for $400?
2000 Road King, 96", K&N AC, Andrews 26G cams, Pre-EPA SE Slip Ons, 3:37 Primary gearing, EFI to carb, 105,000 and still rolling
2000FiveOh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.