filling primary through chain inspection cover : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

bigdaddytfisher wants to know Dino or Syn?
filling primary through chain inspection cover

Has anyone tried re-filling the primary lube through the chain inspection cover? I have to remove the left side rear floorboard in order to remove one of the screws on the derby cover on my 01 FLHRCI to re-fill the chain lube. Every time I think about using the chain inspection but never have tried it. I looks the the lube would run down right where it belongs but I want to make sure before I try.
bigdaddytfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Mikie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddytfisher View Post
Has anyone tried re-filling the primary lube through the chain inspection cover? I have to remove the left side rear floorboard in order to remove one of the screws on the derby cover on my 01 FLHRCI to re-fill the chain lube. Every time I think about using the chain inspection but never have tried it. I looks the the lube would run down right where it belongs but I want to make sure before I try.
It works just fine. Just pour it in, or if you like, use a long funnel.
Mikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Marty59 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
It works just fine. Just pour it in, or if you like, use a long funnel.

The disadvantage is that you can't see the fluid level. If you pour in the (HD) specified amount your close, but I like my fluid level just touching the bottom of the diafram.
Marty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Liker of Mid 60's FLH's

ChromeWelder wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just dumped a quart in through the primary cover. Couldn't see the bottom of the clutch pack very well.

Near Ouray Colorado...June 2009
ChromeWelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
2005 Road King Classic

wkohn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddytfisher View Post
That is how I do it all the time.

lighter is faster - Colin Chapman (founder of Lotus)
Remember that cars and motorcycles are not the only things recalled by their maker. - some wise person
wkohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Thats the way I always did it (inspection cover) on my older bikes as the derby covers with 3 screws are easy to warp.
1 1/2 qts or I always filled untill it runs over with bike setting level. No choice but to remove the derby now with the 07.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

03GLIDE_ wants to know Dino or Syn?
I fill it that way no problem. I only ever use 1qt. and set the kickstand on a 2x4.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

bigdaddytfisher wants to know Dino or Syn?
thanks everyone for confirming my thought! I'm really tired of takin that footboard off......but no more
bigdaddytfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Phemus

steveusmc wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you are going to use the clutch inspection hole your best bet is to put in the amount called for "by the book" and then add about 4 ounces. That will bring the level right to where it is optimum...to the bottom of the spring diaphragm just, as Marty59 said. If you add oil until it "runs over" while the bike is level you have over-serviced. Over-filling the primary "may" cause you to have problems finding neutral.

10-4 on the 2x4......one of the best cheap tools ever made.

Last edited by steveusmc; 02-25-2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: typo
steveusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusmc View Post
If you are going to use the clutch inspection hole your best bet is to put in the amount called for "by the book" and then add about 4 ounces. That will bring the level right to where it is optimum...to the bottom of the spring diaphragm just, as Marty59 said. If you add oil until it "runs over" while the bike is level you have over-serviced. Over-filling the primary "may" cause you to have problems finding neutral.

10-4 on the 2x4......one of the best cheap tools ever made.
when you fill to over flowing it is at the right level.
104000 miles on last bike and 55000 on the one before that never a problem!
If you dont think thats right.... then fill thru the derby cover with the exact amount called for then pull the inspection cover for the primary chain adjuster and see where your at! O- yea use the 2x4 or lift.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Last edited by strokerjlk; 02-25-2009 at 09:14 AM.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
repeat offender

Flyin Brian wants to know Dino or Syn?
at least if you over fill it, it's super easy to get the excess oil out... just start the motor with the derby cover off. You'll have most of the oil out of there in seconds!! I found out by accident.

This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable sub-atomic resources for future generations.
Flyin Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Dyce wants to know Dino or Syn?
You never fill untill it runs out the inspection cover! That is way too much oil. Make sure bike is level and remove derby cover, and inspection cover, and fill through the inspection cover until the oil reaches the diaphram spring by watching through the primary clutch hole (derby cover hole) with flashlight. When oil level touches the diaphram spring, that is all the oil that is needed. Done.
If you fill just through the inspection cover hole only you can not tell when the oil level reaches the diaphram spring. Harley oil fill specs. are NEVER what is really needed to be the correct amount. They are just close, but some are further off than that. I never go by their recommended amount because I know this. I just use their fill specs. to purchase the right amount of quart bottles.
190 ccp
Bishop's Performance,
Stage 2, Hammerheads.
SE HC Pistons
SE Head Gaskets
Woods TW7HR
SE tapered adj. push rods
SE 44MM CV
DTT ignition
Dohtery Power Pacc AC
RB Racing LSR Challenge ProStock "B" Style exhaust
Rivera Pro Clutch w/TPP
Barnett cables
RB Racing A/F gauge and O2 sensor

Dyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

kink04fxd wants to know Dino or Syn?
I always fill mine through the inspection cover after I check the chain. Owners manual calls for 26oz for my Dyna so I put in 26oz and put the cover back on. 30,000 miles and no catastrophic failure yet. I just installed an auto tensioner and my old shoe barely had a scratch on it.
kink04fxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Buddy Seat wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you're a perfectionist. Level the bike, drain the primary. Plug it.

Yank off derby cover, & simply measure the exact amount needed to fill to proper level..

Write it in yer book, so ya don't forget. & ya never need to go thru the derby to check level again...

Sheesh !!!
Old 03-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

RG50 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusmc View Post
If you are going to use the clutch inspection hole your best bet is to put in the amount called for "by the book" and then add about 4 ounces. That will bring the level right to where it is optimum...to the bottom of the spring diaphragm
This is how I do it on my '06.
36-37 oz. puts the level at the bottom of the spring.

You can also reuse the gasket several times.
Advertisement